Electrical work in the house

Inderpland

17 hours ago, bbko said:

Here's my go-to guy when I need electrical work, he's an honest older man (60ish) licensed and been doing electrical work for decades;

Electrician.jpeg

Your guy seems to be very popular as he's not available until after the 20th this month and we can't do much ccoking until the extractor fan has been fixed so if there are any other suggestions from members that would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Inderpland said:

Your guy seems to be very popular as he's not available until after the 20th this month and we can't do much ccoking until the extractor fan has been fixed so if there are any other suggestions from members that would be greatly appreciated.

Use an ordinary fan to direct the fumes out the nearest window, OR, buy relevant item from HomePro and replace it yourself. It's just an extractor fan and you are in Thailand- no need for qualified electrician.

Need more advice to DIY, ask on the DIY/ electrical subforum.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 4:03 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Use an ordinary fan to direct the fumes out the nearest window, OR, buy relevant item from HomePro and replace it yourself. It's just an extractor fan and you are in Thailand- no need for qualified electrician.

Need more advice to DIY, ask on the DIY/ electrical subforum.

"Use an ordinary fan to direct the fumes out the nearest window...."

???? (I'm assuming that was a joke.)

"...OR, buy relevant item from HomePro and replace it yourself."

I would if I knew what "it" was. 

"It's just an extractor fan and you are in Thailand- no need for qualified electrician."

What a strange statement. Like 'it's just abdominal pain and you are in Thailand - no need for a qualified health professional'.

I think my guy might be available.  Quite a few here have used him before.  No English, but excellent work.  Done lots of commercial jobs in and around Pattaya including many establishments in Central Festival.  Top notch.  Honest.  Fair prices.  My wife can help translate if necessary.

Toom.

081 399 3630

31 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

If your extractor fan is a brand that has a local service centre, you could call them.

Otherwise, I think that Numchai has a service centre that can repair most appliances. Might be worth a call to them.

https://www.numchai.com/

Thanks, I have brought items before to Numchai and also the basement shop in Tukcom but I just don't want to disassemble something I might not be able to assemble once reparied - I'm totally useless as a handyman.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I think my guy might be available.  Quite a few here have used him before.  No English, but excellent work.  Done lots of commercial jobs in and around Pattaya including many establishments in Central Festival.  Top notch.  Honest.  Fair prices.  My wife can help translate if necessary.

Toom.

081 399 3630

Thanks, I'll have my Mrs give him a call if the guy we've found and who's coming in this afternoon gives me a crazy quote.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Thanks, I have brought items before to Numchai and also the basement shop in Tukcom but I just don't want to disassemble something I might not be able to assemble once reparied - I'm totally useless as a handyman.

Obviously. Sorry I tried to help. Better things to do with my life.

Does your extractor fan also have a light on it?  Does the light work?  Are the cookers / burners electric?  If so, are they working? 

Just wondering if the extractor fan and cookers are on the same circuit and simply tripped the breaker.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Does your extractor fan also have a light on it?  Does the light work?  Are the cookers / burners electric?  If so, are they working? 

Just wondering if the extractor fan and cookers are on the same circuit and simply tripped the breaker.  

Yes, the light in the extractor is working. The buttons for the fans sit right next to the light switch and they started acting up a few weeks ago, meaning they had to be pushed on/off several times. Finally nothing happened when we switched on the fans.

4 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

The buttons for the fans sit right next to the light switch and they started acting up a few weeks ago, meaning they had to be pushed on/off several times. Finally nothing happened when we switched on the fans.

From that description I have a strong theory  that the problem is ants in the switch...they love to get inside electronic stuff  I don't know why maybe they are attracted to electromagnetic fields..anyway ants make an incredibly good electrical insulator !! 1901658665_ants2.thumb.jpg.2d97aed8e06e605081ab0d43d65f51f7.jpg

217885715_ants3.thumb.jpg.06d1fd89090830d3f302fd474e39ce2d.jpg

ants1.jpg.c37a70dac9a44f9dc566b76e27a3a73e.jpg

Guess I found the problem. There's a short-circuit on the circuit board. Sparks are flying if I press the first fan button hard. Not something I can change myself or even know where to order. 

Hopefully the electric guy will finally show up tomorrow after having stood me up today (what a surprise!)

Capture.JPG

Edited by Inderpland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

That should be a simple, quick and cheap fix  with a soldering iron then.

Had an electrical guy come and take it away. He said he would be able to find a replacement, Called an hour later and said replacement not available but he could fix it for 1600 Baht. Yes, onethousandsixhundred Baht. Naturally my Mrs said no in a much more polite manner than I would have. He called 5 min later and the price was now 1000 Baht. At this point I wouldn't have agreed to 10 Baht so will try to  get the unit back and find another guy.

2 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

but he could fix it for 1600 Baht.

That seems way too high !  at the most maybe 100-200 for a new switch

( they do look a little bit special but bet they can be found at the electronics shops on Theprasit road and may be even in Amorn in the basement of Tukcom )

I assume there are no  integrated circuit/chips on the other side of the board that might have warranted the inflated price ?

1 minute ago, johng said:

That seems way too high !  at the most maybe 100-200 for a new switch

( they do look a little bit special but bet they can be found at the electronics shops on Theprasit road and may be even in Amorn in the basement of Tukcom )

I assume there are no  integrated circuit/chips on the other side of the board that might have warranted the inflated price ?

Sorry, I'm a technical idiot so don't know what that means. When/if I get the piece back I'll post a pic of the other side too. I would have just taken it to Tukcom and had them (try to) fix it but there are quite a number of wires that have to be reconnected and I didn't take a pic of the unit before he disconnected (and cut off 2 of) the wires. Will try another guy suggested by Jeffr2.

6 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

there are quite a number of wires that have to be reconnected and I didn't take a pic of the unit before he disconnected (and cut off 2 of) the wires.

Oops bit of a mistake there,always best to take lots of photos before disconnecting wires

I learnt that lesson myself too the hard way !. 

Hopefully the other "electrician"  is a bit more honest and knows his "asp from his elbow"  ????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, johng said:

Hasn't that place been closed for rather a long time now?

On 11/12/2021 at 4:52 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Toom.

081 399 3630

I have used him for a number of years (after a recommendation from an ex mod on here) but always for plumbing at which he seems very knowledgeable if somewhat expensive.

I only recently learned that he offers electrical work - is he up to speed on earthing and Safe t Cuts do you know? 

3 hours ago, topt said:

I have used him for a number of years (after a recommendation from an ex mod on here) but always for plumbing at which he seems very knowledgeable if somewhat expensive.

I only recently learned that he offers electrical work - is he up to speed on earthing and Safe t Cuts do you know? 

Yes.  Installed both in my house.  Was just here a few days ago and did quite a bit of electrical work.  Setting up some outdoor lighting, converting 220 to 12v, etc.

He's not the cheapest you'll find, but I've never had problems with his work.  Unlike with some others! LOL

Oh, just fixed a door frame that the termites had eaten out.  Replaced the frame with a PVC one, filled in the gaps, painted it over.  The work is fantastic.

• Thanks 1