Police check point Karon to Patong

LivinginKata

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

What's this all about?

Taking that as a general question:

The medical certificate for a driver's license is obtained from any small clinic in Phuket.  It's a certification that the applicant does not have any of the five "prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535 [1992]."  The cost is around 100 to 150 baht, there is no examination or testing (in my experience).  

The change is that the medical certificate is now wanted for renewing a 5-year driving license rather than just getting your initial 5-year license or the 2-year license given to applicants as their first license.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

Taking that as a general question:

The medical certificate for a driver's license is obtained from any small clinic in Phuket.  It's a certification that the applicant does not have any of the five "prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535 [1992]."  The cost is around 100 to 150 baht, there is no examination or testing (in my experience).  

The change is that the medical certificate is now wanted for renewing a 5-year driving license rather than just getting your initial 5-year license or the 2-year license given to applicants as their first license.

Actually, it would make for a great trivia question:  what are the five dread diseases in Thailand that you must be certified as not having in order to obtain a driving license?"

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, skatewash said:

the applicant does not have any of the five "prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535 [1992]."  The cost is around 100 to 150 baht, there is no examination or testing (in my experience).  

Blimey! Haven't had to get one of those in nearly 20 years!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Actually, it would make for a great trivia question:  what are the five dread diseases in Thailand that you must be certified as not having in order to obtain a driving license?"

Yes! I was trying to remember what all those nasty diseases were. One was something about the "third step" of something or other.

Ah! just saw the previous post - syphilis! ???? 

Edit: Amazing what old documents you can find in your filing cabinet...

1519014018_Epson_Scan_1721200.thumb.jpg.82671c4173672c994b4b22c818b08601.jpg

Edited by JetsetBkk
Add scan of document
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, schlog said:

Since this year you need it also for renew 5 year to 5 year. Did mine in march.

Usual medi certificate like always for 100 baht at a small clinic.

Did my renewal this year and was never asked for a medical cert

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 9:54 AM, KhunAndreas said:

What do you mean with this? The immigration officer told me to pay 300 (I had the money in my pocket until they asked for it). I know I can argue with them and tell them it's free but I am fairly new here and just wanted to be over with it. But up to you, I am not going to argue here either about this, just wanted you to know it was the officer that asked for it. 

In march when i went in for my coe for a new license, it was the young thai female volunteer that sits in front on the left side that asked for the 300, I glanced over at the Officer, to the right of her, who knows me and he smiled when i told her it was free.

up to you if u want corruption to continue

i went in March for my 4th 5 years license an needed to show a med certificate (obtained for 100 baht), have had to get one since my first application

Edited by zzzzz

• 4 weeks later...