Police check point Karon to Patong

LivinginKata

5 minutes ago, KhunAndreas said:

I read somewhere it’s ok with expired license until end of the year, but who knows.

I went to DLT to renew in October but didn’t get appointment until 22 December, so at least it was around 10 week waiting time then, probably same now. I would recommend that you go book an appointment soon.

To book did you need CoR ?

Also, unless you can get the online DLT queue to work for you (I couldn't and don't know any foreigner who has) you will likely have to visit the LTO in person to get an appointment to renew your driver's license.  To get an appointment you can show up at anytime they're open, doesn't need to be early in the morning as it's very likely you will just be given an appointment time to return on another day.

You can try it online here, but as I said didn't work for me:

https://gecc.dlt.go.th:4449/2020-12-29/web_booking/page/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhunAndreas said:

I read somewhere it’s ok with expired license until end of the year, but who knows.

I went to DLT to renew in October but didn’t get appointment until 22 December, so at least it was around 10 week waiting time then, probably same now. I would recommend that you go book an appointment soon.

It's not OK, meaning you can be fined for driving on an expired license if you happen to be stopped, but if you renew within a year you don't have to retake the written or do the practical driving test, just take the normal physical tests for vision and reaction time.  Also, because your license is expired you will be renewed for nearly 6 years (expiring on your birthday), rather than just 5.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KhunAndreas said:

Yes, they looked thru all the papers and stapled it together with a post-it on top with appointment time to return.

(Copy from my other post)

To DLT I brought this to book: 

- Thai driving license 
- Passport  + Copies of passport (first page + extension)
- Certificate of Residence + copy
- Medical certificate 
- Proof that successfully completed the online video (dlt-elearning.com) 

For Certificate of Residence  at Phuket Immigration: 

- Application Form for Residence Certificate in Thailand - แบบขอหนังสือรับรองถิ่นที่พักอาศัยในประเทศ (can download from Phuket Immigration website)

- Copies from following passport pages:

Detail page

Current visa/extension

Last entry stamp

TM6 departure card

- 1 x Passport size picture

- Copy of the address notification receipt

- 300 THB (I was told by the Volunteer, who checked the paperwork, that they will ask for 300 THB If I want it same day otherwise I have to come pick it up other day. So I paid when asked to pay and got the certificate after 5 min wait.)

coe is free and issued same day,  Just tell the lady, ( u will note its NOT the officer that asks for 300) that its free> 30 minute wait time is average

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

( u will note its NOT the officer that asks for 300) 

What do you mean with this? The immigration officer told me to pay 300 (I had the money in my pocket until they asked for it). I know I can argue with them and tell them it's free but I am fairly new here and just wanted to be over with it. But up to you, I am not going to argue here either about this, just wanted you to know it was the officer that asked for it. 

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

It's not OK, meaning you can be fined for driving on an expired license if you happen to be stopped, but if you renew within a year you don't have to retake the written or do the practical driving test, just take the normal physical tests for vision and reaction time.  Also, because your license is expired you will be renewed for nearly 6 years (expiring on your birthday), rather than just 5.

Okey, I have just read before what has been said online about it but maybe it has been changed since then. I was stopped in May (Lop Buri) and in September (Phuket) with my license that expired in April, no mention about it. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-expired-drivers-license-valid-until-december-31-368831

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210823111012029

Edited by KhunAndreas

13 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Suppose my question is what are the renewal rules. I knew I was expired but thought I would be given a 'grace' time ?

The DLT has asked for cooperation from the Royal Thai Police to suspend the charging for all holders of licenses which expired from April 10 to Sept 30 this year. The licenses are considered valid. Drivers can use them as usual,” the officer said.

“At this stage, the deadline is only Sept 30, but if the DLT issues an order to extend the period suspending services, the deadline will be extended for sure. Do not worry about the license during this time. No police will check your license for sure,” he added.

So grace periode is over since october that's why the BiB in action again.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, schlog said:

The DLT has asked for cooperation from the Royal Thai Police to suspend the charging for all holders of licenses which expired from April 10 to Sept 30 this year. The licenses are considered valid. Drivers can use them as usual,” the officer said.

“At this stage, the deadline is only Sept 30, but if the DLT issues an order to extend the period suspending services, the deadline will be extended for sure. Do not worry about the license during this time. No police will check your license for sure,” he added.

So grace periode is over since october that's why the BiB in action again.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210823111012029 :

"..  extend the expiry date of driving licenses and personal vehicle licenses and allow them to be used when necessary to present to the authorities, until September 30, 2021. As the COVID-19 situation has escalated, the DLT is coordinating with the RTP to ease the enforcement of the law. The RTP is extending the period of leniency in enforcing any rules, regulations, ordinances and orders affecting holders of expired driving licenses under the law on cars and holders of expired personal driving licenses, allowing them to be used until December 31, 2021."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skatewash said:

There's no grace period but you will get an almost 6 year validity (expiring in your birthday) when you apply for a 5 year license after the previous one has expired.  There was a covid amnesty earlier in the year but I think that's been over for a while now.

Also, Phuket Land Transport Office now accepts the yellow house registration book, so if you have one of those not need for the Certificate of Residence from Immigration to prove your address.

Are they now accepting Yellow Books? What confirmation have you got? Because, if that's the case, then good for me.

11 minutes ago, Tbone999 said:

Are they now accepting Yellow Books? What confirmation have you got? Because, if that's the case, then good for me.

Although I have not done it myself (obtained my 5 year license renewal before I found about the policy change) I have seen a handout that came from the Phuket LTO that clearly indicated the yellow book was accepted as fulfilling the requirement for address confirmation.  Can't find it now, but I've also read reports online of people using the Yellow Book in Phuket.  Years ago I (and many others) were routinely rejected trying to use the Yellow Book.  I am as sure as I am about anything in Thailand that the Phuket LTO now recognizes the yellow book.

6 hours ago, beechbum said:

Also another heads up, they've started setting up at the Kata view point occasionally again.

yeah as the numbers of foreigners slightly increase, motorbike rentals increase..... bingo unlicensed drivers, 500 baht please......... 

I've gone through this checkpoint on the weekend but the other direction. We were not stopped and I think they checked only in one direction. Then another one at the Kata viewpoint which checked for alcohol via breathalizer which is an interesting situation now as due to Covid they can't make you put it in your mouth and instead one just blows onto the thing. I have some doubts about the health safety of that method but it's the police officers who are more at risk. That check was passed and they didn't check for driver license or anything else and let us on our way. Might have helped to have a small kid in the car so clearly we were not out partying/drinking.

There seem to have quite a few checkpoints sprung up since the countries opening. I also noticed around the Chalong cycle area a lot more checks and quite a few foreigners being stopped. I guess they are back to fleecing tourists. What a great first impression ????

Were those road blocks not abolished by the chief of the RTP? I remember there was a requirement to have a higher ranking officer present plus they need to be "permanent" checkpoints and not these fly by night operations with just a traffic cone.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Although I have not done it myself (obtained my 5 year license renewal before I found about the policy change) I have seen a handout that came from the Phuket LTO that clearly indicated the yellow book was accepted as fulfilling the requirement for address confirmation.  Can't find it now, but I've also read reports online of people using the Yellow Book in Phuket.  Years ago I (and many others) were routinely rejected trying to use the Yellow Book.  I am as sure as I am about anything in Thailand that the Phuket LTO now recognizes the yellow book.

Ok, that's good enough for me, thanks for the info.

21 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Suppose my question is what are the renewal rules. I knew I was expired but thought I would be given a 'grace' time ?

I knew I was going too fast but thought my last speeding ticket (in Australia) deserved a ‘grace’ allowance of 10 km per hour.

Apparently not.

Grace is not as amazing as it was back in the day.

• Haha 1