Manchester City Wants To See "colour Of Thaksin's Money"

george

Manchester City to become Shin City : the Sun

Premier League Manchester City will become "Shin City" on Thursday as the club's five major shareholders have agreed to sell their 66 per cent to deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the Sun tabloid reported.

However London-based the Sun said the takeover Thaksin's takeover could still be vetoed if the Premier League decide he does not pass their Right and Proper Persons Test.

Every board member or controlling shareholder of a Premier League club must sign a "director's declaration" stating whether he or she has convictions for fraud, theft, corruption or associated offences.

Clubs with a director carrying such convictions are debarred from competing in the league until the association with the individual is terminated.

Thaksin is wanted back in Thailand on charges of corruption and abuse of power. Thai graft busters have ordered freezing of Bt58 billion of his assets.

The Sun reported that Thaksin has assured City the money is there for him to fulfil his dream of bringing success to Eastlands.

Source: The Nation - 21 June 2007

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this on CNN

City's board are recommending that the 81.6 million pounds ($162.5 million) bid, lodged by Thaksin's takeover vehicle, UK Sports Investments, be accepted.

Thaksin, who was deposed last September, had formal charges of corruption filed against him and his wife Pojaman by the Thailand Supreme Court earlier on Thursday.

The case centers on allegations of wrongdoing in a land deal.

Thai authorities have already frozen $1.*B of Thakin's assets, but last week his lawyer Noppadon Pattama said that the former premier still had enough money to buy City.

Nice to have some spare cash floating around :o , however its the next comments that made me laugh, again from CNN

"Premier League spokesman Dan Johnson told BBC Radio Five Live: "We have a fit and proper person test which is based on objective criteria, there is a schedule of offences which does also reflect any offences that someone has been prosecuted for overseas as well.

"It is a tricky one because he hasn't been prosecuted of anything yet, and also we are a football competition.

"We sit in a hierarchy of regulation and if the DTI (Department of Trade and Industry), the Government, say this guy is okay to come in and purchase UK companies then that is really where we've got to be starting."

things that make you go Hmmmmmmmm

I rememebr the quite accurate comparisons we used to get between Thaksin adn Berlusconi. Mind you Manchester City have a long way to go to be as succesful as AC Milan. Come to think of it as obnoxious as Berlusconi was I cant remember him being responsible for the deaths of thousands either.

If this deal does actually go through - then it will surely be a 'can of worms' for City.

Thaksin is a thoroughly corrupt and murderous dictator - with no shame -

I wonder how that will go down with the moral sensibilities of the average City supporter?

On a lighter note on Radio 5 live, Thaksin was asked if he was aware of the fact that Man City fans are all calling him 'Frank' on the internet forums. 'Frank's bid for Man City' etc.Due to his unpronounceable surname.

Sinatra - Shinawatra

RG

If anyone would like to listen to the interview it can be found here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/fivelive_ao...ksin_shinawatra

totster :o

On a lighter note on Radio 5 live, Thaksin was asked if he was aware of the fact that Man City fans are all calling him 'Frank' on the internet forums. 'Frank's bid for Man City' etc.Due to his unpronounceable surname.

Sinatra - Shinawatra

RG

Love it :o

What I think that the Junta will find, to their regret, is there is perhaps more thai football fans, with interest in Man City (come good or come ill) than there thais with interest in the latest twist in the Thaksin/Shin/Coup/Legal saga...

Sinatra - Shinawatra

RG

Love it :o

Frank was also known affectionately as the "Chairman of the Board." guess that's appropriate. But, I think if Frank were with us today he'd probably have some of his mafia buddies put a stop to this name slander.

Providing he coughs up the dosh now that his bid has been accepted by the board, he is then subjected to scrutiny by the FA, to deem whether he is a 'Trustworthy and Honest Candidate' :D

So yes he takes over :o , BUT the bottom could still fall out of it following the FA's investigations...

Its like a thai Soap Story innit :D

Mothers!

would you work for Frank?

Certainly Sven Gorensen isnt going to, he just said so 555, also claiming he had never been formally asked, only via media rumour that he had been appointed manager in absentia

JWC Frank is pulling the same media tricks over in UK as he did in LOS

Hands up, anyone want to work for Frank

Id put money on the deal falling through, so he can blame flangs for being unkind to generous thai people

Any other predictions?

Here's my prediction.

They can't find him "unfit and improper" until an adjudication that he is indeed a felon. In other words, the allegation is not enough. Having said that, it is in his interest to drag that procedure out as long as possible, and if Thailand rules in absentia against him, he will scream that he was not allowed a fair trial and due process of law. So, The Thai authorities will run to Scotland Yard & the Haig and/or to the High Court and everywhere and try what they can. Toe to toe with him using western lawyers Franky (ole blue eyes) will win. and then, we will all be singing this about lady justice:

"that's why the lady is a tramp."

Guest Reimar

New from BBC.com

Thaksin confirms Eriksson meeting

Prospective Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra has confirmed he has held talks with Sven-Goran Eriksson about City's vacant manager's job.

It follows BBC Sport revealing on Wednesday that the former England coach has been offered the job providing the former Thai PM completes his takeover.

Thaksin lodged a formal offer of £81.6m for City on Thursday.

He cannot progress any further with the appointment of a new manager until he secures 75% of City's shares.

Interview: Prospective owner Thaksin Shinawatra

BBC Radio Five Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard said on Wednesday: "I am told that Eriksson has been offered the job by Thaksin. Whether he takes over is another matter. He is thinking it over.

"I have also been told it is not as clear-cut as the proposal involving Claudio Ranieri."

Thaksin confirmed to the BBC on Thursday that he is taking steps to appoint a new manager at Eastlands.

"I have my advisors working on it," Thaksin explained. "Sven is one of the names they have given me.

"Sven has a very good reputation, he is a very capable coach.

"He has good connections, especially with the main players in the UK and Europe and that would help the club in getting new players to join in the future.

"I met him once, last week maybe. I had my advisor talk to him and just say hello and touch base. I didn't talk to him that long because my advisor did that interview.

"I have spoken to my financial advisors and they are quite confident that I will get 75% soon.

"I can't say anything until next week but I hope to have a manager soon. When I have got 75% I can decide many important issues."

Eriksson, 59, has been out of work since stepping down from the England job after the 2006 World Cup.

He has enjoyed plenty of success in club coaching with Gothenburg, Benfica, Roma, Fiorentina, Sampdoria and Lazio.

The Swede is the only manager to have won a league and cup double in three countries - Sweden, Portugal and Italy - with Gothenburg, Benfica and Lazio.

It is understood there are other targets on Thaksin's list, but Eriksson is the preferred option.

Former Chelsea boss Ranieri was initially lined up to succeed sacked Stuart Pearce at City, but opted to join Juventus.

City's board intends to back the bid from UK Sports Investments, which is indirectly controlled by Thaksin and his son and daughter.

But Thaksin will have to pass the Premier League's standard "fit and proper person" test before being able to complete the proposed takeover.

Thai prosecutors have recently filed corruption charges against Thaksin, who has had his bank accounts frozen, but he insists that will not affect the takeover.

Thaksin was interested in taking control of Fulham in 2003 and Liverpool in 2004 before launching his bid for City.

"I was still interested in a Premier League football club when I came across Manchester City, who are what the English people call a sleeping giant," he explained.

"I liked the club because it was over 100 years old, a big club and with a great stadium.

"I looked around last week and I love it. The ground is well-designed and big - suitable not just for football but for other activities as well."

"It makes it easier to move the club forward because the potential is there - and I am very interested in moving City forward.

"But the most valuable thing is the fans - they are extremely loyal. Even though the club has not won anything for 31 years they are still supporting them and that is very importatnt to me."

Thaksin also underlined his ambitions for City.

"I am never one to disappoint," he added. "When I decided to invest I decided to bring the club forward. I am ready to bring new ideas, vision and investment to the club.

"I can dream but my dream cannot come true quickly so we need to build the club step by step.

"There will be a new manager definitely and we will add to the squad too. The existing players are very good but we will have to add more.

"That is why we want to start as soon as possible. We want to get a new coach so we can start to assemble a new team to help us do well next season.

"I cannot say exactly how much the new manager will have to spend.

"But when I asked how many players do City need, my advisors said two strikers, two midfielders and one goalkeeper.

"If we identify the right person and they agree to join us then we have to invest. I am already buying the boat, I need to buy the engine too."

Funny thing is that when Mrs T wanted some money and asked permission from BOT to transfer cash out so that she can buy a house.

Now buying a club does not need money from Thailand anymore as the accounts has been frozen? :o

The MC board and the fans are going to get a swift lesson in  doing buisiness with the likes of Mr Sinatra.  They say there is no such thing as bad publicity - just as well.

One wonders if the directors read the papers (thai) - alas, they know but what they do!

The FA Premier League would implement "Fit and Proper Person" regulations if Thaksin were convicted of fraud in Thailand.

Every board member or controlling shareholder of a Premier League club must sign a "director's declaration" stating whether he or she has convictions for fraud, theft, corruption or associated offences. Clubs with a director carrying such convictions are debarred from competing in the league until the association with the individual is terminated.

If Thaksin can't prove that his wealth - principally generated from the Bt73 billion tax-free sale of Shin Corp - has been earned legally and charges and a conviction were to follow, the Football Association would be forced to exercise its "Fit and Proper Person" regulations for the first time.

On BBC TV, the Premier League when asked whether it had concerns about Thaksin's assets being frozen and him being ordered to return said, " It's only the actions of a military junta (sic)." So that's alright then!

On hearing that Sven was to be appointed as manager, the chairman of the on-line fan club said, "He's damaged goods (Sven that is!). If they appoint him, there will be riots!"

Hmm, this Thaksin is certainly a riot, they follow him wherever he goes!! :o

Bookies have already installed Sven as the favourite for being the first manager to be sacked next season - and he's not even been signed yet!!! :D

Manchester City accepts Thaksin's Bt5.6 billion offer

A formal bid of 81.6 million pounds from former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has been accepted by Manchester City, according to inthenews online.

The Nation

--

Maestro

Sat, June 23, 2007 : Last updated 8:39 am (Thai local time)

From todays The Nation

Can Manchester City help Thaksin's flagging fortunes?

JUST A THOUGHT

Can Manchester City help Thaksin's flagging fortunes?

So the deposed prime minister of Thailand finally opted for an old trick he knew best in times of trouble, announcing that he was going to buy a football club. The difference this time with Manchester City Football Club is that the deal is real, as the board has already accepted the ฃ81.6-million (Bt5.6-billion) offer.

The news did produce the kind of attention he must have been craving, because now people have something to talk about apart from his frozen assets and multiple corruption cases.

The announcement of the deal at this particular point in time, though, is intriguing. It shows he must be caught in a very tight position, deep trouble indeed. The Assets Examination Committee, the Department of Special Investigation and the National Counter Corruption Commission are bombarding Thaksin and his family with continuous investigations and are tracking down their assets.

It may be that a clear defence on his part of all of the corruption and tax-evasion cases had become "mission impossible" and he therefore needed to employ his familiar diversionary tactic of going international with something big.

With their large fan base in Thailand, the former leader's earlier proposals to buy Liverpool and Fulham football clubs drew vast interest among the public. It proved to work well back then, but unfortunately for him it is not working as well in this latest attempt.

Just like the boy who cried wolf too often, Thaksin has been unable to attain the desired wow effect with his Manchester City announcement. We have seen these flashy headlines far too often to fall into his trap this time.

Moreover, what good would it do Thailand? It's just another story about a millionaire buying a team. Thaksin's ever-loyal lawyer Noppadon Pattama tried to convince by saying that the deal paved the way for Thai youth to step into the Premier League, Thai singers might get to perform at the stadium during certain matches and Thai food could be served to fans as well.

A golden opportunity for Thailand to showcase its talents and create a good image! Yet isn't it too little too late after all the turmoil he's plunged the country into? It sounds like a lame excuse. It's his own image that he cares about, not that of the country.

Besides, who tarnished Thailand's image in the first place? Five full years of unimaginable corruption, tax evasion, weakening of independent agencies and extrajudicial killings are part of his controversial legacy. The worst part is he has left the country divided as never before. Any good leader with the nation's interest in mind would have done the honourable thing and stepped down to unite the country.

Owning a football club would put Thaksin in the international spotlight, but it might also turn into an international nightmare for him since he has to pass a "fit and proper person" test by the Premier League before the takeover becomes final.

What a lot of Thais would like to know is where he got his cash from for the deal. Just like his other financial transactions, it's unexplainable. Is the money part of the sum that the AEC is looking for in connection with the freezing of Bt7.3 billion worth of assets?

Thaksin should also be quizzed on good governance and whether the pathetic excuse of him having made an "honest mistake" will be made to avoid future responsibility the way it was with the asset-concealment case in 2001.

A psychiatric check is also strongly recommended, because his past record shows that saying one thing and doing another has become the norm for him. He said he loved Thailand but hired a US lobby group that attacked Thailand. He said he had really quit politics but keeps threatening to come back.

It's a pity that Manchester City may be brought into the fray of Thai politics, because even if the takeover is approved by the Premier League, the numerous charges filed against the former dear leader, which may take years to try, will always haunt the club.

The burden is now on him to prove his innocence.

Evidence gathered from related agencies suggests otherwise, and more will come to light in the months ahead.

The only benefit that Manchester City fans might get out of this is that apart from watching football, they'll also get to watch a real-life drama, with twists and turns that would amuse even Ian Fleming or Agatha Christie unfolding before their eyes.

Manchester City needs cash, and Thaksin needs a diversion at home, but in the end it's not certain who is actually saving who or whether either side will be saved at all.

Veenarat Laohapakakul

Unquote

:o...and..:D when, but it will end in failure with a large score against both parties and also against the questionable ethics of the premier league IMHO

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

Thaksin ready for Premiership

23/ 6/2007

HAVING survived two spectacular assassination attempts and reportedly sanctioned the summary execution of as many as 3,000 Thai drug dealers, life at the City of Manchester Stadium should hold few surprises for Thaksin Shinawatra.

But should Manchester City fans be so fearless in embracing the former Thai Prime Minister?

read on http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/spo...remiership.html

:o

Nothing can stand in the way of money

11:38am 23rd June 2007

Everest is scaled, the moon bears human footprints, but humanity still can't find anyone to fail the fit and proper persons test for owning a Premier League club.

Surely there is some intrepid despot, some reptilian swindler out there who can take this vacant title? But he'll have to go some.

worth a read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...n_author_id=342

Nothing can stand in the way of money

11:38am 23rd June 2007

Everest is scaled, the moon bears human footprints, but humanity still can't find anyone to fail the fit and proper persons test for owning a Premier League club.

Surely there is some intrepid despot, some reptilian swindler out there who can take this vacant title? But he'll have to go some.

worth a read http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...n_author_id=342

One does wonder what kind of chants may emanate from around the premier league when Manchester City play next season.

It is good to see at least one newspaper raise the unsavory human rights record of Thailands ex-PM.

Sadly, this incident will just fuel the already sensationalist foreign crap press regarding Thailand. Corrupt leaders, a nation that welcomes the John Mark Carr foreign peodophiles of the world to teach in its primary schools, and where every girl is a prostitute waiting to happen.

Whatever sells papers.

Guest Reimar

The latest news:

Sven-Goran Eriksson will take over as Man City boss next week - and will launch an audacious bid for Newcastle striker Michael Owen. (Various)

Source

49885-7872.jpg

Glory, glory, Man United,

As the Reds go marching on, on, on. :D

Thaksin sounds very dodgy to City fans. :o

Does he have club interests at heart ?