Booking a "Test and Go Hotel"

DaveCW

My good lady and I need to visit the LOS in Jan through to Feb. So we are currently looking to manoeuvre ourselves through the various hoops (as they currently stand).

Just contacted one hotel to enquire about availability and process etc. (The hotel was recommended to us via a friend)

They have informed us that as we are not married (although we are in a obvious relationship, live together, travelling together etc) it appears that given this scenario we need to book two separate rooms? As its Government Policy.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case, seems a bit odd, but this is what the hotel is saying

• Haha 1

I would wait a bit.  Rules might change a bit very soon.  Hopefully, they'll get rid of this silly requirement to stay in a hotel for a night.  Hopefully.

I'd also ask around.  Different hotels have different requirements.  And even if you do need to book 2 rooms, I think it'd be the same price as one?  I just did this for a friend and they paid for 2 people to get the package. 

Plus, the hotel won't check anyway.  Most could care less.  Book 2 rooms at the same price and stay in the same room.  IMHO.

• Like 1

When I first tried to book our room for a December stay at the Grande Centre Point at T21 in Bangkok, their package only showed an adjoining two room package for two people. All other options were for one person. However, upon asking them directly, they said sure we can put both in one room together, and that saved a bit. You do however, have to pay for two hospital tests, etc... I suspect this might be the same with other hotels, I think you have to ask.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

When I first tried to book our room for a December stay at the Grande Centre Point at T21 in Bangkok, their package only showed an adjoining two room package for two people. All other options were for one person. However, upon asking them directly, they said sure we can put both in one room together, and that saved a bit. You do however, have to pay for two hospital tests, etc... I suspect this might be the same with other hotels, I think you have to ask.

Really?  You can't share the same Qtip?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Really?  You can't share the same Qtip?

I appreciate the smart humor, but actually two people in one room was nearly the price of two rooms, so the point is that there is a premium the hotels are charging for two people in one room above what is normal, but it is a bit cheaper than two rooms - hopefully rooms at that price include free qtips in the bathroom...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DaveCW said:

They have informed us that as we are not married (although we are in a obvious relationship, live together, travelling together etc) it appears that given this scenario we need to book two separate rooms? As its Government Policy.

That was government policy for the original ASQ quarantine, but it wasn't for the Sandbox and it isn't for Test & Go. Friends of mine - unmarried - literally arrived yesterday and had no problem booking only one room. Just ask a different hotel if that one is giving you difficulty.

As others have pointed out, though, adding an extra person to a room usually increases the price by about 3000 baht or so due to the cost of an extra PCR test and meals for the additional guest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, khunjeff said:

That was government policy for the original ASQ quarantine, but it wasn't for the Sandbox and it isn't for Test & Go. Friends of mine - unmarried - literally arrived yesterday and had no problem booking only one room. Just ask a different hotel if that one is giving you difficulty.

As others have pointed out, though, adding an extra person to a room usually increases the price by about 3000 baht or so due to the cost of an extra PCR test and meals for the additional guest.

"increases the price by about 3000 baht"?? What a rip off. would brown envelopes going in  certain directions have something to do with it?

This pandemic is sure making certain peoples income rise. Shameful.

• Like 1

You don’t say anything about your prior familiarity with Thailand but it’s pretty common knowledge that Thailand does not recognise de facto relationships.

Doesn’t matter what the length or depth of relationship, in Thailand you are either a married couple or two single people.

While this may or may not be an issue here, you certainly need to be aware that Thailand is still catching up in this area if you are planning a longer-term stay.

On 11/12/2021 at 4:54 PM, khunjeff said:

Correctamundo - this may be remnant legacy from the 14 day ASQ days where ‘most’ (but not all) hotels did not permit non-married couples to quarantine together. 

I recall threads on this forum (Thaivisa) at the time - some hotels definitely accepted non-married couples.

The ‘Thailand Pass’ system is a lot more relaxed now - I suspect this ‘married couples only’ response is a clumsy  and idiotic response from the hotel - Simply try another hotel. 

Lots of hotels here  https://asq.in.th

• Like 1