Foreign chiropractors face jail time in Thailand after raids at three Bangkok area clinics

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: INN

INN reported on raids by health ministry ministerial aide Sathit Pitudecha and the consumer protection division police at three Bangkok area clinics.

Three foreign doctors were found not to be legally registered at the clinics in Chitlom, Sri Nakharin and Muang Thong Thani housing estate. 

This followed complaints and concerns that the doctors - whose nationalities were not reported - were not registered to offer chiropractic services in Thailand.

Under 1999 regulations they face three years in jail and/or fines of 30,000 baht with two other charges also pending related to the case that could also mean jail terms of three and two years. 

It was reported that while the doctors concerned are registered in their home countries they are not registered in Thailand, hence the charges. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-12

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

Under 1999 regulations they face three years in jail and/or fines of 30,000 baht

I love the Thai justice system. They are actually serious when they compare loss of freedom and income for up to 3 years with a measly 30k baht fine. Hilarious!

2 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Exactly. Can’t they be like the US or UK or EU where everyone can just practice as a doctor without a license as he likes? 

Just like in the movie "Catch me if you can".

Paramount Home Entertainment - We think Leonardo DiCaprio gives one of his  best performances in Catch Me If You Can... Do you concur? | Facebook

I concur ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

Still does not change the fact that they were not registered to provide those sort of medical services.

I get a young lady to iron out my wrinkles.. not sure she's registered either though?

But I do feel a lot better after treatment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poskat said:

"This followed complaints and concerns that the doctors - whose nationalities were not reported - were not registered to offer chiropractic services in Thailand."

translation "thai chiropractors were mad that these guys had bigger practices than they had "

Probably not Thai Chiropractors, but regular doctors. Until a couple years ago they even where not recognised (legal) by the Thai medical board. I once got a list of chiropractors active in Thailand and they had less than 10 people on that list. Many foreign chiropractors had to work with hospitals or leave the country. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Letseng said:

Not in EU. You need a license.

In UK, you can practice. But, you can not call yourself, or claim to be, a professional by a protected name, if you are not qualified AND registered as such. The lost pf prptected names is quite long, includes dentists, optometrists, physiotherapists, pharmacists, and most of the other 'ists.

Not to mention accountants, lawyers, and architects.

There always have been a few that have been around for years, I know  of two Australians and refuse to join the association and not registered with the health department and guess have been reported. Maybe they should go after a lot of Thai Physios now manipulating patients and calling themselves Chiropractors also. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grusa said:

The lost pf prptected names is quite long, includes dentists, optometrists, physiotherapists, pharmacists, and most of the other 'ists.

Not to mention accountants, lawyers, and architects.

don't forget Duke, Earl, and Countess

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Love the fact that people are still falling for the myth that 'Chiropractors' are actually Doctors! Next they will be claiming that Homeopathy works.

Wanted to say something similar, but too scared......well done....555

Some chiropractors do a fantastic job. I.e. Dr. Don was well known and respected. RIP

But it's a dangerous job. If someone does it wrong then he/she can do a lot of damage. It makes a lot of sense that those jobs are regulated. And Thailand has the right and duty to decide who should be allowed to do this in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Seismic said:

Love the fact that people are still falling for the myth that 'Chiropractors' are actually Doctors! Next they will be claiming that Homeopathy works.

Same thing with vaccins, some think it works others will never admit it. Doctors have a strong lobby, same goes for the pharmacies.  Both lose money to the chiropractors, homeopathics, herbal doctors Chinese medicine and acupuncture. And god does exist as well ????