Bangkok Bank card, cannot pay online

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, that is/was not the case for all merchants.  There may have been a temporary suspension but that only applied to the accounts of those affected by the fraud.   

Bangkok Bank blocked my brand new card that I got today, which presumably couldn't have been involved in the fraud because I literally got it only an hour ago. They said they have done a general lockdown on all services that don't support their SMS OTP thing. My understanding, this is a Thai service. They would only unblock for me, specific websites that I gave them, they said they could not unblock general international use at this time.

My understanding, cards should continue to work for Thai stuff that implements their SMS OTP thing. So stuff like Shopee, Lazada, should be fine. But most international stuff is blocked. Worth noting that this affects international companies like Spotify that actually sell their subscriptions in THB in Thailand, they are being blocked as it's billed from abroad.

As to "only the accounts of those affected by the fraud", that is reported at over 30 million people? Likely more people have been involved in this fraud than haven't been, this affected probably the majority of cards issued in Thailand. This is just on the number affected, not saying every bank is reacting to it in this way, but this fraud hit a lot of cards, they got it appears almost everything.

EDIT: and confirmed, it works with Shopee. But now you need to go through the SMS OTP rigmarole even for 1THB transaction, it forced me to do that even for the 1THB verification. Used be that you only needed to do the SMS thing for larger transactions.

Edited by blorg

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

So there you can open a Virtual Card

Here it is (And YES I also have an account)

virtual.JPG.f539db1aa5263a4c4ba8338c877252ad.JPG

There is (currently) one but,

Currently to get the Wise virtual card you’ll first need to order a physical card. But don’t worry, you don’t need to wait for your physical card to arrive before you start spending on your virtual one.

I got the Physical Card as well, but never use it!!

Edited by MJCM

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

So there you can open a Virtual Card

Here it is (And YES I also have an account)

virtual.JPG.f539db1aa5263a4c4ba8338c877252ad.JPG

Here is the info from the help page regarding virtual card.  I cannot apply because I do not already have a physical credit card as I live in Thailand.  They do not issue physical credit cards to Thailand.   I am on the list as and when they authorise Thailand.

But thank you for your link.Screenshot_20211113-170430_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.ea70ee9f2d1b18b380a33acc0e167c62.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

There were a few years where union oay was the only card available because they made a deal with the chinese but that ended and they still carry on with these games.

You're right, BBL had, still has, a contract with Union Pay to distribute their cards but you're wrong to say that BBL "still carries on with these games".  Mastercard debit cards have been available with BBL for years again since the UP issues.

One workaround that might be relatively quick for people living in Thailand who can't do the Wise virtual card, Shopee Pay wallet actually has a built in virtual MasterCard. You can sign up for this through the app taking a photo of your passport on your phone camera, and it get activated pretty quick (same day). You can then fund it through your mobile banking, and that's quite easy and smooth to transfer money into it. It's a Thai card issued by TTB and you can use this to pay for stuff including international transactions, I used it to pay for Spotify after Bangkok Bank cut it off, I have also used it for a few other international things. It also works on Grab, FoodPanda, I even use it on Lazada and it works fine there too.

Foreigners can get this and it's pretty easy. What foreigners can't do, is you can't link your bank account to it to have it debit that automatically. Or at least you can't if you are with Bankgok Bank- the limitation here seems to be on the BBK side, it's in the form BBK have to do the link, which requires a Thai ID number. But you can fund it really pretty smoothly through the mobile banking, you just click top-up and it links through to the Bangkok Bank mobile app to complete it, and you don't have to retype in anything, it's just a few clicks.

9 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

Here is the info from the help page regarding virtual card.  I cannot apply because I do not already have a physical credit card as I live in Thailand.  They do not issue physical credit cards to Thailand.   I am on the list as and when they authorise Thailand.

But thank you for your link.Screenshot_20211113-170430_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.ea70ee9f2d1b18b380a33acc0e167c62.jpg

But May I ask where is your Wise Account.

I also live in Thailand but my Wise account is in Europe and I still have a Physical WIse Card

Edited by MJCM

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

But May I ask where is your Wise Account.

I believe it is London according to my account and their sort code.   But I might be wrong. I live in Thailand and signed up here.  

@ Blorg.  Thank you.  That explains it.  The address on my account is registered here in Thailand.

But, it's no hardship, I still have my UK Mastercard, which I obtained many many years ago.  

Edited by Raindancer
Correction
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blorg said:

@MJCM you can get the Wise card if the address on your Wise account is in a country they support for it, which includes most of Europe. You can't get it if you actually have your Thai address on the account.

Yes my account is in Europe but I live in Thailand and I got a card

4 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

I believe it is London according to my account and their sort code.   But I might be wrong. I live in Thailand and signed up here.  

@ Blorg.  Thank you.  That explains it.  The address on my account is registered here in Thailand.

But, it's no hardship, I still have my UK Mastercard, which I obtained many many years ago.  

I live in Thailand as well, but I used my Postal address in Europe and they send the card there, which was then Fedexed to me here.

Maybe an idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

That's how it works, it depends on what address you gave them when you signed up. You can sign up from Thailand and get the card, if you can give them a European address.

1 minute ago, blorg said:

That's how it works, it depends on what address you gave them when you signed up. You can sign up from Thailand and get the card, if you can give them a European address.

And that is what I did!

Oke my bad that a Thai address don't work!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

Is your Netflix the Thai one? If so you can buy prepaid cards for Netflix Thai in 7/11, and then you redeem that card on the Netflix Site. That is how I pay for our Netflix!

https://www.netflix.com/gift-cards

long time Netflix user with Bangkok Bank Debit card I got the non payment message today, they gave me an option to pay through True which I tried and it went right through, lets see what happens next month

1 hour ago, Raindancer said:
1 hour ago, MJCM said:

If anyone is using Wise.  just use their Virtual Card.

After any payment you just "freeze" their card (so no one can take payments from it) and when it's time for another payment just "unfreeze" it.

https://wise.com/gb/virtual-card/

Expand  

Just tried that link.  All it does is take me to my account 

Click on "order your card".   But don't waste your time if you're in Thailand!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MJCM said:

In case someone says I am lying

Here a screenshot of the Physical Wise card. (Sorry for the bad quality, but my wife isn't here to hold it up) (If you zoom in you can clearly see the Wise logo)

Clipboard01.jpg.6ce8b0a6dfc8a550664acee5acf6757e.jpg

As far as I am aware.   No one thinks you are lying, and definitely not me.  I merely explained my situation.  

6 minutes ago, Raindancer said:

As far as I am aware.   No one thinks you are lying, and definitely not me.  I merely explained my situation.  

Sorry it was not pointed at you! (more in general in this forum)

(sorry that your username was part of the screenshot).

:wai:

Edited by MJCM

36 minutes ago, MJCM said:
39 minutes ago, blorg said:

@MJCM you can get the Wise card if the address on your Wise account is in a country they support for it, which includes most of Europe. You can't get it if you actually have your Thai address on the account.

They're not available if the applicant is applying from/is located in Thailand, that's the bottom line. 

An option to check out may be to use Paypal (probably has to be a Paypal Thailand account) and then pay Paypal with your credit/debit card.

I've had problems recently on a couple of sites trying to pay with credit card but it affected my UK card too, not just my BBL card. This was using Google Chrome from a Windows PC and I now believe there is a problem with Chrome's caching of credit card details. This used to work very well but now seems to screw up. I deleted all the saved CC data and was then able to make payment. 

I recently got an email from Bangkok Bank informing me that I will be charged ฿300 for my "debit card." I thought it was just an ATM card, and never tried to use it to make a payment online. The reason you can't use it with foreign vendors is because their payment systems don't recognize the card. It's not a credit card.

11 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I recently got an email from Bangkok Bank informing me that I will be charged ฿300 for my "debit card." I thought it was just an ATM card, and never tried to use it to make a payment online. The reason you can't use it with foreign vendors is because their payment systems don't recognize the card. It's not a credit card.

It's not that, it worked fine for foreign vendors until very recently. Bangkok Bank have blocked it only in the last few weeks. It's due to this massive data breach of Thai credit/debit card numbers, hackers seem to have got their hands on basically every card number in the country (over 30 million total).

On 11/12/2021 at 7:42 PM, PoorSucker said:

Do you have a computer login, or else you'll have to visit the office to open it for foreign transactions/Internet payments

Either that or go to bank they will help you open it for  what you want, i had same problem kasikorn bank years ago, they were great fixed it up in no time

I had the same problem with Netflix and Spotify.

I called and they said it was because of the latest problem.

They okay individual foriegn purchases after you call them and explain your doing the purchase.

Supposed to be like this just a few weeks until the fix the problem with security breaches.

• Like 1