Poll: Expats -- do you identify as a globalist?

Jingthing

Globalism, Globalist, Globalization  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Globalism, globalist, and globalization have become hot button weaponized words used by diverse political sides in many countries.

But there are more sober not loaded definitions and ways to consider these words.

I was thinking about this from an expat perspective. Aren't most all expats globalists to some degree or another? I think that they are. So the question here is IF you're an expat, do you see that connection, and self identify as a globalist or not?

This POLL is intended only for expats (or former / future expats) but if you're not that, I can't stop you from voting!

Who Is a Globalist? - The Globalist

Anyone with a curiosity to learn about the world around them — and an ability to keep an open mind and an interest in sorting out the changes being wrought every day — can consider himself or herself a “globalist.”

Globalists are by no means an elite circle of business or political leaders determined to push forward their agenda in a rapid-fire fashion.

What unites globalists is a strong interest in understanding more about the modern global economy, politics and culture — and how these forces relate to each other.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bojo said:

Is this an American thing, weapanised words and politicised by the far right?......................... I wasn't aware of this from a European/British perspective......................

Far right nutters are in all westernized countries.  But yes, super bad in the US right now.  I'm from the US and don't even want to go there for a visit.  Was there this summer and it's bad.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

One of those words...

It's always a question to which degree we are something like a globalist.

But before we think about global aspects how about local aspects? I.e. if we live in the middle of Bangkok do we also think about the outskirts of Bangkok or even up country? Or Cambodia and Laos? All that is much nearer then the rest of the globe?

I think Greta Thunberg explains it accurately with: “blah, blah, blah”

• Like 1

"Globalist" doesn't seem like a useful term to me.  How would a globalist perspective be distinguished from any other?  I suppose someone with a xenophobic, racist, and fascist outlook would hardly qualify, but who goes around congratulating himself on being free from those prejudices?  Are the globalist Westerners living in Thailand distinguishable from the rest by anything other than bar room opinion?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Are the globalist Westerners living in Thailand distinguishable from the rest by anything other than bar room opinion?

Quite possibly distinguishable by what they do for the community for example.......................

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bojo said:

Quite possibly distinguishable by what they do for the community for example.......................

Given that volunteer labor is against the law for non-Imm O visa holders, what would such service to the community amount to?

Edited by cmarshall
  • Haha 1

No. I don't "identify" as anything. 

am an Englishman, who happens to have long had a curiosity to learn about the world around me — and (I hope) an ability to keep an open mind and an interest in sorting out the changes being wrought every day.

Maybe I should have taken the grumpy old expat option...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2