Poll: Expats -- do you identify as a globalist?

Jingthing

Globalism, Globalist, Globalization  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I could already pick out Globalist posters from their posts on many other threads.

If they want to tell us what to do (or else), they're globalists.

They think your energy usage should be clean, non-nuclear and taxed = globalists.

They want to save the forests in S. America, SE. Asia, even though they already cut all their own down = globalists.

They want you to be locked up if you don't want experimental vaccines = globalists.

Supporters of black lives matter and they're not black = globalists.

They want their home countries filled with Muslim immigrants = globalists.

On the other hand,

I don't see the OK as a globalist at all.

As spoken by a member of the far right.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Yes, and even the full Oxford English Dictionary (best in the world, IMO) doesn't contain any mention of this definition of the word. So, only understood by triggered US hyper-politicals at both ends of the spectrum, I imagine. 

Well, they have it in this Oxford dictionary.  Completely different from the definition by the far right.  As you can see from above.  They've weaponized this word, among others.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/globalist_1

a person who supports the belief that events in one country affect those in all other countries, and that economic and foreign policy should benefit the world as a whole instead of individual countries

• He is a globalist and considers himself a citizen of the world.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/us/politics/globalism-right-trump.html

Globalism: A Far-Right Conspiracy Theory Buoyed by Trump

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/8/17096876/globalists-explained

Globalists, explained

Trump used a (possibly anti-Semitic) insult that illuminates a big fight unfolding in the Republican Party.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Soros is a dog whistle for the far right.  Maligned for sure.

But no smoke without fire though. Arch globalist financiers championing free global movement of labour are bleeding  Eastern European countries dry of both their skilled and unskilled labour force with their open borders, while at the same time with their philanthropic hat on (yeah, sure) facilitating the Muslim diaspora (5 pct refugees, 95 pct economic migrants). E. Europe is becoming a husk, populated by women, children and the aged, the EU happy to pay them billions each year as subsistence, to create an almost sterile geopolitical buffer zone on the borders of Europe. Hm, I must be alt-right, yes? 

Edited by Speedhump
Grammer and speeling
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Well, they have it in this Oxford dictionary.  Completely different from the definition by the far right.  As you can see from above.  They've weaponized this word, among others.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/globalist_1

a person who supports the belief that events in one country affect those in all other countries, and that economic and foreign policy should benefit the world as a whole instead of individual countries

• He is a globalist and considers himself a citizen of the world.

Yes, the OED has it, just not the slur defn. This is a thing totally restricted to certain areas of US politics. Let's hope it stays that way. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You are 100 percent incorrect about it being limited to the U.S.

https://apnews.com/article/8c46c95106f54a11883239aca0280750

Demonization of Soros recalls old anti-Semitic conspiracies

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — In most nations, having a billionaire financier and philanthropist would be a source of great pride, a person many elected officials would want to cozy up to.

Not for George Soros.

The demonization of the American-Hungarian billionaire and Holocaust survivor has spread from Hungary and Moscow across Europe and into the United States, with the 86-year-old increasingly accused by nationalists of using his money to force his liberal values, including support for refugees, on their societies.

I don't see the word 'globalist' being used as a slur against Jews here? That's what we're discussing.

For the record I fully respect the anger of Poland at the illegal torrent of economic migration encouraged by unfettered/no borders globalism, and now being encouraged by Russia as a form of warfare. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Soros is not the definition of globalist. Soros does indeed come from the left. Pro globalist sentiments are in no way limited to the left. There are significant pro and anti globalist factions on the right and left.

Others have mentioned that globalization has damaged many people in the world. It has also been beneficial.to many and certainly not limited to elites.

As globalism is a fact of life and not going away I think the wise thing is to advocate for policies that maximize the benefits and minimize the damage. Obviously easier said than done.

Relating to this topic I think that expats (as opposed to refugees) are a group.that has benefitted from globalism for the most part. As this here is an expat forum, I thought that was worth discussing. Again I find the cases of expats expressing extremist anti globalist rhetoric to be interesting cases of hypocrisy.

He is certainly the definition of a globalist. His politics do not come into it, as neither does his religion/nationality. 

36 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Not only alt-right. Your attack on Muslims with use of unsubstantiated statistics pulled out of a dark place reveal something else in my opinion.

It's not an attack, you dimwit. Muslims are still intent on global expansion, as Christianity was up until the last century. The percentages were not intended to be statistically accurate, merely to reflect the tiny number of actual refugees versus economic migrants (as is clear in the applications for entry into EU countries). You are a bigot if you believe that I am one, jumping very quickly on the word 'Muslim' like that. I'm sad for you. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Trashing Soros has become code for antisemitism. Fact.

If you're talking about the US I can't comment, other than to say your blanketing of every criticism of Soros as antisemitism shows extreme bigotry on your part! Otherwise (outside the US) it's simply untrue. 

17 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

It's not an attack, you dimwit. Muslims are still intent on global expansion, as Christianity was up until the last century. The percentages were not intended to be statistically accurate, merely to reflect the tiny number of actual refugees versus economic migrants (as is clear in the applications for entry into EU countries). You are a bigot if you believe that I am one, jumping very quickly on the word 'Muslim' like that. I'm sad for you. 

I knew they weren't intended to be accurate. As I said they displayed a mindset that was revealing. That's what I said and that's what I meant.

Just now, ozimoron said:

I knew they weren't intended to be accurate. As I said they displayed a mindset that was revealing. That's what I said and that's what I meant.

That's entirely incorrect. The number of applications for entry into Europe are weighted very (very) heavily towards economic migrancy. The illegal border crossers into E. Europe, boat people from North Africa, Turkey etc. the same. Are you actually challenging this? Because you seem to be attacking me personally without any grounds whatsoever. 

Just now, Speedhump said:

That's entirely incorrect. The number of applications for entry into Europe are weighted very (very) heavily towards economic migrancy. The illegal border crossers into E. Europe, boat people from North Africa, Turkey etc. the same. Are you actually challenging this? Because you seem to be attacking me personally without any grounds whatsoever. 

The topic is about globalism, not migration or other nationalities. Globalisation is a term which is used to describe an attitude toward global cooperation in solving global issues. If you believe that global cooperation is beneficial and necessary then you are a globalist. The term is unrelated to nationality, race or migration per se. You chose to make  it about race and immigration. Others have confused it with living in a country other than their birth place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The topic is about globalism, not migration or other nationalities. Globalisation is a term which is used to describe an attitude toward global cooperation in solving global issues. If you believe that global cooperation is beneficial and necessary then you are a globalist. The term is unrelated to nationality, race or migration per se. You chose to make  it about race and immigration. Others have confused it with living in a country other than their birth place.

Moving the goalposts does not hide your unsavoury attack on a person merely because you believe their politics is different to yours. I gave examples (not just about Muslims, but you only see what you want) of the result of globalism in action and you spat bile (like a bit of a leftie, actually). 

Go and think. 

2 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Moving the goalposts does not hide your unsavoury attack on a person merely because you believe their politics is different to yours. I gave examples (not just about Muslims, but you only see what you want) of the result of globalism in action and you spat bile (like a bit of a leftie, actually). 

Go and think. 

I didn't move the goal posts. I offered a definition of globalism before you chimed in and made it about immigration. Your calls to xenophobia, use of insults and "leftie" epithets exposes you as an extremist.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

If you're talking about the US I can't comment, other than to say your blanketing of every criticism of Soros as antisemitism shows extreme bigotry on your part! Otherwise (outside the US) it's simply untrue. 

You're utterly wrong.

https://www.politico.eu/article/viktor-orban-anti-semitism-problem-hungary-jews/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm a Marxist, I believe in redistribution of land and fair wages for workers.

One of the shocking truths about globalism, is the filthy rich capitalists importing cheap labour from impoverished countries so the owners/shareholders make more money, and the local workers are unemployed. Outsourcing manufacturing to cheaper countries is just as bad.

Marxism represents a denial of human nature.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I didn't move the goal posts. I offered a definition of globalism before you chimed in and made it about immigration. Your calls to xenophobia, use of insults and "leftie" epithets exposes you as an extremist.

I did none of those, and the fact that you consider 'leftie' an insult rather than a description shows that you consider yourself in some war against the right. The disgusting polarisation of opinion is on the shoulders of people like you, and is the cause for the current state of US politics. To call me an extremist is itself ludicrous in the extreme. I'm done with you, you just throw hissy fits and insults. So long, leftie. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I gave you all the below, and all you could do was bleat 'oooh, he hates Muslims'. I have nothing for contempt for you. Bye, and this time I mean it:

"But no smoke without fire though. Arch globalist financiers championing free global movement of labour are bleeding  Eastern European countries dry of both their skilled and unskilled labour force with their open borders, while at the same time with their philanthropic hat on (yeah, sure) facilitating the Muslim diaspora (5 pct refugees, 95 pct economic migrants). E. Europe is becoming a husk, populated by women, children and the aged, the EU happy to pay them billions each year as subsistence, to create an almost sterile geopolitical buffer zone on the borders of Europe."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Relating to this topic I think that expats (as opposed to refugees) are a group.that has benefitted from globalism for the most part. As this here is an expat forum, I thought that was worth discussing. Again I find the cases of expats expressing extremist anti globalist rhetoric to be interesting cases of hypocrisy.

Had the thread been about that it would have been interesting, but trying to manufacture it into another anti antisemitism stick has IMO made it not worthwhile.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You are 100 percent incorrect about it being limited to the U.S.

https://apnews.com/article/8c46c95106f54a11883239aca0280750

Demonization of Soros recalls old anti-Semitic conspiracies

WARSAW, Poland (AP) — In most nations, having a billionaire financier and philanthropist would be a source of great pride, a person many elected officials would want to cozy up to.

Not for George Soros.

The demonization of the American-Hungarian billionaire and Holocaust survivor has spread from Hungary and Moscow across Europe and into the United States, with the 86-year-old increasingly accused by nationalists of using his money to force his liberal values, including support for refugees, on their societies.

IMO Soros did his best to destroy the Thai economy. I can't use the words I describe him with on this forum for doing so.