Thailand entry - private transfer from airport and tests possible?

Hello all.

With the new entry requirements, does anyone know whether it's possible to pay for a transfer from the airport privately, i.e. not with the hotel (could be either minibus or car or whatever)? And whether the covid test you do at the hotel has to be done with them - or apparently there is some option to do it at a "center"?

I'm all ready to go to Thailand on Monday with the documents ready, but when I contacted the hotel to ask how transfer from the airport worked these days, they offered me what seems like a ridiculous package costing about 5000 baht (in addition to what I already paid for one night's accommodation) including a hotel car from the airport and a covid test on arrival at the property.

Also, worst case scenario, now that my Thailand Pass is already done, I wonder whether it's possible to cancel the hotel and book a different one with a cheaper option despite having the old one in my records?

Don't know how it all works when you arrive at the airport these days... all so complicated. Thanks for the help!

The website conveniently 'forgot' to tell 'tourists' that we still have to quarantine for one night.

The 5000 baht is for one night quarantine. It's not ridiculous, it's their way of making all the necessary procedures.

The Covid test itself cost around 3000 baht.

It's not 'test and go' as reported.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I paid around 6000 baht for a 1-night test-and-go AQ that included one-way transfer from airport to AQ hotel, the on-site PCR test, the RTK test kit for home testing after release and 3 meals of my choice.

Flight arrived at 8:30 on Friday. Picked up, tested and checked in by 10 a.m., had lunch, grabbed some sleep, test results delivered at 8 p.m., just after dinner. Went to bed. Woke up Saturday morning, had breakfast, checked out 10 a.m., back to airport via taxi, on time flight departure and home in Bahn Nawk by 2.30 p.m. Sent my passport, vaccination record and PCR test via LINE to the local orbortor early evening.

Easy peasy.

Like a Boss! ????

On 11/13/2021 at 10:52 PM, NanLaew said:

Flight arrived at 8:30 on Friday. Picked up, tested and checked in by 10 a.m., had lunch, grabbed some sleep, test results delivered at 8 p.m., just after dinner.

Maybe a dumb question and realize that you had already paid for a nights accommodation......

Since you had results by 8pm would just leaving hotel (check out) be an option? 

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
On 11/13/2021 at 3:52 PM, NanLaew said:

Flight arrived at 8:30 on Friday. Picked up, tested and checked in by 10 a.m., had lunch, grabbed some sleep, test results delivered at 8 p.m., just after dinner.

Maybe a dumb question and realize that you had already paid for a nights accommodation......

Since you had results by 8pm would just leaving hotel (check out) be an option?

If I lived in Bangkok probably, but I live up-country.

That and I am Scottish.

Seems kind of odd the AQ hotels I have seen have a mandatory package for "test and go" including arrangements for test and transport.  I believe the government has made this mandatory.

To add, if a person coming and is already complaining about the cost of one night quarantine they are probably not the quality tourist Thailand is seeking.

Yes, all approved ":Test & Go" packages include hotel transport from the airport and COVID test. The  hotel is  responsible to ensure your whereabouts and isolation from the moment you leave airport until there is a negative test result, and must be an SHA+ approved hotel. You cannot separately arrange  your own travel or test. Also cannot leave hotel room until negative test result.

You can leave the hotel as soon as negative test result.   There will not be any refund if you leave in less than the prepaid 24 hours though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

If I lived in Bangkok probably, but I live up-country.

That and I am Scottish.

But if you lived in Bangkok, and weren't Scottish, you could presumably have left at 8 pm?

Sorry....Sheryl answered.

Edited by samtam

On 11/16/2021 at 6:33 AM, Sheryl said:

Also cannot leave hotel room until negative test result.

Hi Sheryl

Even it sounds quite reasonable that you should stay at your room until the test result arrives. I can't find the wording about that in the info I'm reading. It talks about stay at the hotel. Or I might have missed something, wouldn't be the first time.

Would you have a link please? 

Not much of a point booking a place with a nice swimming pool if you are looked up in a room.  

This is what I have found, maybe I'm just looking to hard for a way to be able to sit by the pool and not in a room.

- SHA+ hotels/accommodations are hotels that meet the “Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration” standards and are eligible to be used as hotels under the Sandbox Programme and as venues to wait for your RT-PCR result under the Exemption from Quarantine scheme.

I don't have a link but if you ask the hotel they will tell you it is not allowed to leave the room (except for COVID test) until negative result received. It was the same under old COE system.

Don't bother with swimming pool etc unless you are thinking to stay at same hotel  afterwards.  Rather what I would prioritize is:

- speed of testing and getting result

- which hospital they are affiliated with (as that is where you will be admitted if you test positive -- even if completely asymptomatic).

- how well the hotel seems to understand the Test & Go system and likelihood they will provide the needed paperwork correctly worded. I initially planned on staying at a hotel that just recently qualified for the scheme, had to change plan when in communications with them it became obvious their staff had no idea about the system).

- location (where you need to be once you meet this requirement)

- food reviews (though as it will be just 3 meals not as important as for those with full quarantine)

Once you have a negative test result you can go where you like, many reports of people checking out without even spending the night ( no refund though).

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't have a link but if you ask the hotel they will tell you it is not allowed to leave the room (except for COVID test) until negative result received. It was the same under old COE system.

Don't bother with swimming pool etc unless you are thinking to stay at same hotel  afterwards.  Rather what I would prioritize is:

- speed of testing and getting result

- which hospital they are affiliated with (as that is where you will be admitted if you test positive -- even if completely asymptomatic).

- how well the hotel seems to understand the Test & Go system and likelihood they will provide the needed paperwork correctly worded. I initially planned on staying at a hotel that just recently qualified for the scheme, had to change plan when in communications with them it became obvious their staff had no idea about the system).

- location (where you need to be once you meet this requirement)

- food reviews (though as it will be just 3 meals not as important as for those with full quarantine)

Once you have a negative test result you can go where you like, many reports of people checking out without even spending the night ( no refund though).

Thanks for fast replay.

I’m heading to Phuket, so no packages. Testing done at the airport, and you must book the test yourself. I think this might be something started with the “sandbox”.

I have read that the Phuket airport would like to get the testing out of the airport.

Even transport seams a bit different. 1 hotel asked if I would take their 500 thb transport if I wanted it. The other one first told me they had free transport. The came back saying the rules changed and I need to pay 250 if I would like to use what they could offer. Still not demanding it to be used.

You have some very valid points. What would be the paperwork that they will give me?

So the system works that the hotel direct you to a quarantine hospital?

My insurance will cover up to 150 US per night up to 14 nights in case of quarantine needed, so I wouldn’t like to end up bad place.

Location is of interest but right paperwork and not being sent to an old prison (as I  read they have in Phuket as one quarantine place) would be paramount.

Did your hotel inform you where the quarantine would be id tested positive?

13 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Thanks for fast replay.

I’m heading to Phuket, so no packages. Testing done at the airport, and you must book the test yourself. I think this might be something started with the “sandbox”.

I have read that the Phuket airport would like to get the testing out of the airport.

Even transport seams a bit different. 1 hotel asked if I would take their 500 thb transport if I wanted it. The other one first told me they had free transport. The came back saying the rules changed and I need to pay 250 if I would like to use what they could offer. Still not demanding it to be used.

You have some very valid points. What would be the paperwork that they will give me?

So the system works that the hotel direct you to a quarantine hospital?

My insurance will cover up to 150 US per night up to 14 nights in case of quarantine needed, so I wouldn’t like to end up bad place.

Location is of interest but right paperwork and not being sent to an old prison (as I  read they have in Phuket as one quarantine place) would be paramount.

Did your hotel inform you where the quarantine would be id tested positive?

Are you traveling to Phuket from within Thailand, or are you entering from abroad via "Sandbox" scheme?

30 minutes ago, asiam110 said:

There are a good few that offer private limo transfer included generally starting at 6k mark

I think the point is that he does nto want that, he wants to arrange his own transport.

Since Sandbox requires you to be confined to the hotel (& its grounds) for 7 days, I would assume that using hotel transport is mandatory.  Re arranging the tests, I do not know (other than that you must show you have pre-paid for them).

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think the point is that he does nto want that, he wants to arrange his own transport.

I don't mind the 250 for transport, just explained what I had been quoted and how it seams to work in  Phuket.

More bothered about what you wrote about paperwork and end up in a bad place for quarantine.

Very tankful if you could explain that a bit more.

Edited by bokningar
Missed a question

Just now, bokningar said:

I'm coming from Europe and I'm have the "Thailand pass" for the exemption from quarantine, one day quarantine. "Test and go"

The Test & Go system to my understanding requires that you pre-pay a  package inclusive of the COVID test, meals for 24 hours, lodging and transport from airport to hotel. You must use hotel transport and you cannot leave the room until you have tested negative.

Under Sandbox scheme, can go anywhere on the hotel/resort grounds but must stay within it for 7 days.  You don't have to purchase a package with meals.

this is getting a bit confusing as your situation may differ from that OP was asking about...he may be under "Sandbox" (but not clear).

3 minutes ago, bokningar said:

I don't mind the 250 for transport, just explained what I had been quoted and how it seams to work in  Phuket.

More bothered about what you wrote about paperwork and end up in a bad place for quarantine.

Very tankful if you could explain that a bit more.

I was referring to the OP, not you, as he started the thread specifically looking to see if you could arrange his own transport.

If you test positive you will not be quarantined, you will be hospitalized. Even if asymptomatic.  Phuket has not much choice as to where as only a few private hospitals. Bangkok is quite different, large number of  private hospitals and some of them a bit sub-par.

Where you could end up with an (extended - there is in fact a 24 hour quarantine under "test & Go" despite the phrase "quarantine exempt")  quarantine would be if you were in contact with someone who then tested positive, for example sat near them on the plane or rode to the hotel in same van with them.

Re the paperwork etc you just need a hotel which is familiar with the Test & Go scheme and understands, for example, that the confirmation must list your flight arrival time and that check in time has to sync with arrival time etc. And that the confirmation they issue must state COVID tests included. Any place that has bene doing this for a while should know all this. Places newly certified might or might not, I happened to come across one (not in Phuket)  that was clueless.