Anyone recently renewed their Thai Driving license at Bangkok's DLT Phrakhanong Sukumvit 62?

Bredbury Blue

My 2-year licence expired middle of this year but as i understand it, due to Covid-19, there is a Grace period until 31.12.2021 for renewing the driving licence.

Using SLT Smart Queue, i just tried booking an appointment first at Bangkok's DLT Phrakhanong Sukumvit 62 and then at DLT Samut Prakarn.  The earliest appointment booking spot that is free at either place is in March 2022!!!

Anybody had any luck either just turning up and applying on the day or just turning up and getting an appointment for a short while later?

I gave up trying to use smart queue, and just turned up, took a thai speaker with me,  about 4 months ago, they gave me an appointment a month later, then they were closed for a month, with no one answering the telephone, i turned up with expired appointment card last month, they let me in,  and i came out with a 2 year license about an hour later. its best if you take a Thai speaker with you, if you can not speak Thai, not  much english spoke there, dont forget to wear trousers shorts are not allowed in, plenty of signs warning you.

Edited by howerde

23 hours ago, howerde said:

I gave up trying to use smart queue, and just turned up, took a thai speaker with me,  about 4 months ago, they gave me an appointment a month later, then they were closed for a month, with no one answering the telephone, i turned up with expired appointment card last month, they let me in,  and i came out with a 2 year license about an hour later. its best if you take a Thai speaker with you, if you can not speak Thai, not  much english spoke there, dont forget to wear trousers shorts are not allowed in, plenty of signs warning you.

Thanks, i'll send you a PM

• Like 1

I visited that branch last month to request an appointment date for renewal of my 5 yr license. The earliest date they could give me was mid-Jan 2022. That didn't suit me since by then my license would then have expired by 54 weeks, the staff as the DLT said no problem but didn't believe their assurances.

So I resorted to renewing my license in a less busy location outside of Bangkok (which ending up being quite effortless compared to my previous renewal at DLT Phrakanong/Bangchak).

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Can you advise which one?

Cha-am, which was convenient for me at the time. The renewal took less than an hour to complete; it required an appointment made by using the online training - no trouble getting an appointment date, just a couple of days notice.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2021 at 3:38 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Using SLT Smart Queue, i just tried booking an appointment first at Bangkok's DLT Phrakhanong Sukumvit 62 and then at DLT Samut Prakarn.  The earliest appointment booking spot that is free at either place is in March 2022!!!

This afternoon the wife and i went to Samut Prakarn DLT office, reasoning that it'd be quieter than Phrakhanong Suk 62 office, to see if I could book an appointment in person as I didn't want to wait till a March 2022 online booking slot.

When we arrived at the DLT reception the wife said she wanted to try to book an appointment for me. We were told to go up to the 2nd floor, desk 4 and ask to see the office boss (he's jaydee we were told).

Joined a small queue for our turn in the boss' office. 

Wife explained to him my licence expired in July, I'd done the 1hr video lesson in June (showed the certificate on my phone), and as I had to go overseas for work was it possible to get a quicker/earlier appointment than booking online. 

He booked me in for the earliest possible date which is just after the Dec 5th holiday.

He was indeed jaidee.

Very happy to get that appointment date.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Returned yesterday to Samut Prakarn DLT office to do my licence renewal (2yr. to 5yr.).

Have to say it was far quieter, a lot more pleasant and parking no problem at Samut Prakarn DLT office than at Sukhumvit 62 DLT office, though seemed like very little English is spoken there (I was accompanied by my wife, Thai). On my each of my visits I saw only one farlang.

Showed my paperwork outside and was told that I had to go to 2nd floor, counter 4. At counter 4 was told to queue for the boss’s office (it’s behind counter 4). Went in and he checked my paperwork was in order against my passport, Work Permit and expired driving licence. He put a form on top which I signed then took it all back to counter 4 who checked it again and sent me downstairs to the testing room.

In the testing room for the 2pm appointment slot there were 3 Thais and me (not busy like Sukhumvit 62 when I went 2 years ago, where they we testing many groups of 10 at a time).

So, I got my 5-year licence and I would recommend Samut Prakarn DLT office over Sukhumvit 62 DLT office if you live close enough.