Let the tourist pay.

A few years ago, Thai Bahts rocket to the sky. The result was, that the export was falling and tourist stayed away.

Since the start of the Corona crisis, the Baht has fallen to what I would call a reasonable exchange rate compared to euro. Absolutely not low but reasonable.

As soon as the first few thousands tourist have arrived we see the Thai Baht back on the rocket. Doesn't Thailand want the tourist flow back?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's completely incorrect, as it hasn't 'rocketed' either way in the past decade.

L/H .. 28 / 35, and gov't likes to keep it around 32 mark against the USD.  So in reality, not much fluctuation at all unless comparing to the GBP, which was all about Brexit, not Thailand.

You are partly right. For Thai bath clings to $ and the euro has fallen against the dollar lately. But the last 6 months Baht has fallen overfor $ from 34 (september) to 32 (now) and that of course hurt thoose there change from euro to Bahts

42 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I think that you have to take into account the "vested interest" of whoever "is casting the influence".

If he is an investor in, let us suggest, overseas property, or has children being educated overseas, then a strong Baht is good news. If he is in the business of catering to visiting tourists, then not so.

Of course the Baht is not open to manipulation, I mean, that would be dishonest, and putting one's own personal ( or class) benefits over the interests of the country as a whole, and no Thai would ever do that...

????