European tourists clamoring to go to Samui, claim Thai media

webfact

I don't doubt there will be some. Anecdotally, I have noticed a lot more Eastern Europeans & Russians in Phuket over the last couple of weeks. 

I mean, can't blame them. It might be anything but ideal here, but a hundred times better than a freezing covid winter.

Edited by Karma80
  • Like 1

There is nothing "whopping" about 2200 tourists from Europe. Samui needs many times more than that for most of the tourist businesses to start making some money. Samui airport arrivals were north of 1 million per year before covid. I suspect the "whopping" exaggeration was an "enhancement" of the original news source.

https://en.swsamuiproperties.com/blog/flying-high-flying-low-koh-samui-airport-arrivals-17-18-19/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But in December there were bookings for a whopping 2,200 Europeans. 

Don't believe it, but lets assume it is true. By that number - in high season xmas,new year - Mid january onwards is going to be down to 100 arrivals or less a week and more business closures for all those who opened up in haste on the pm words of millions of arrivals

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

" Not just yet" "...getting to exciting levels."  "But in December there were bookings for a whopping 2,200 Europeans."

The journalist is obviously taking the Mickey and many a NNE speaker would struggle with the satirical undertones and innuendo.

It's almost a takeoff of a Blackadder sketch.

Doesn't Rooster do many of the translations for aseannow.com? Seems like his kind of humour ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't believe it, but lets assume it is true. By that number - in high season xmas,new year - Mid january onwards is going to be down to 100 arrivals or less a week and more business closures for all those who opened up in haste on the pm words of millions of arrivals

With the current rules, Thailand can probably hope for 1 million arrivals in the next 12 months. If they scrap everything bar the requirement for vaccination and a pre-flight PCR, they could maybe get 3-4 million.

• Like 1

I doubt that Europeans are clamouring to come to Samui but I am sure we will see an influx of foreigners for the festive season. Mind you given that there are 67,000 accommodation rooms in Surat Thani that's actually not a great deal, lets hope we have plenty from other nations!!

5 hours ago, FarmerJoe said:

Lol! I'm in the states and had a few beers and some of Colorado's finest gummy candy and I watched this video for about 10 minutes before I realized that's all there was.

The promotion pic shows how it should look like Before Corona and the video shows the truth.

Think it's the best explanation of the current situation.

At least the beach is not crowded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

and the video shows the truth.

And as you said in another thread PoorSucker.

'November is monsoon season.'

Not even locals sit on the beach in the rain.

Yes, Chaweng and Lamai are dead (international tourist resorts) but the rest of the island is doing OK. Not great, but OK.

Hotels are the ones suffering.

Villa bookings are quite busy.

Private villa with 4 bedrooms, sea views and a private pool v 4 hotel rooms and shared facilities.

On 11/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, ronster said:

They have fireworks and booze ?

Fireworks - not near the flight path to the airport.

Booze - yes thanks. Many restaurants can serve alcohol legally as part of the Samui Plus deal.

The others - come and find out.

44 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Booze - yes thanks. Many restaurants can serve alcohol legally as part of the Samui Plus deal.

The others - come and find out.

No need as I live here ????

But how will they sell booze at new year if restaurants are meant to close by 11pm and bars are shut . Lot of special extensions to be given out for late night serving . 

• Like 1