Thai tourism won't recover without the Chinese, says top bank analyst

webfact

1 hour ago, AseanLao said:

This idea that Chinese tourists spend so much more money than Westerners is just silly.

Most Chinese spending is easily tracked - hotel stays, spending at big shopping malls with special discount cards and VAT refunds, and all their block-booking activities with tour groups etc.

Chinese investors spent $2.3 bln in Thai property in 2018 - Thailand Business News (thailand-business-news.com)

Thailand property: Chinese buying interest has surged in recent years (cnbc.com)

problem is that they like to spend $ buying tangible stuff like property rather than on petty cash items like beer  ..

although the amount spent on Thai prop is relatively small at  2.3 bil usd  compared to the 30 bil  spent on US prop, the 16 bil spent on HK prop n the 14 bill spent on aussie prop.
N that is for 2018 with the figures for 2019 being supposedly higher 

Edited by relax33
  • Like 2

If they wouldn’t keep treating the US and UK like they are <deleted> and worthless maybe they would see the numbers rise to pre Chinese era. Now the Foreigners are treated poorly and always the blame when <deleted> happens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, relax33 said:

Chinese investors spent $2.3 bln in Thai property in 2018 - Thailand Business News (thailand-business-news.com)

Thailand property: Chinese buying interest has surged in recent years (cnbc.com)

problem is that they like to spend $ buying tangible stuff like property rather than on petty cash items like beer  ..

although the amount spent on Thai prop is relatively small at  2.3 bil usd  compared to the 30 bil  spent on US prop, the 16 bil spent on HK prop n the 14 bill spent on aussie prop.

That's over now.

China will now heavily control all money leaving the country.

They have their own struggles and a few big companies close to go under.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, relax33 said:

Well, you said it. $2.3B dollars is a tiny fraction of the $62B that Thailand received in 2019 from tourism.

I may only spend x00,000 baht a month on "petty cash items like beer", but it all adds up. Let's see how much Chinese investors are willing to blow on Thai condos in the current economic climate. One article that I can't quote said Chinese transactions were down 31% from 2019 to 2020.

3 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

What about years ago when there weren't droves of Chinese coming(?); Thailand seemed to be doing alright then. Guess the govt has gotten addicted to the Chinese yuan since then.

Most of the Chinese money goes directly to big business, since they don't frequent any local establishments. Also, when you have 12M Chinese coming a year (for a week), it makes their contribution look hugely important.

Perhaps it's time for Thailand to start calculating the number of days each nationality spends in Thailand.

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

OK, so Chinese make up 30% of Thailand's tourists, but that means that 70% do not come from China and Thailand is making it difficult to get the vast majority of their tourists in.

That 70% could revitalise the thai economy and tourist industry in the meanwhile if they dropped the nonsense today and you just flashed your vaccine card at the airport. The fact they are picking up so few positive people is proof vaccinated tourists are really not an issue with infections.

The fact Thailand is not more easier to get in indicates to me a deliberate destruction of tourism and the people involved in it. 

My thoughts exactly on reading OP.

15 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

A few years ago I was speaking to a couple of Chinese birds in Chaingmai, they were not impressed.

Firstly they were led to believe that Thailand was a lot cheaper than China, apparently this is not the case, it seems the microwave meals in 7-11 are within the budget but not much else.

They also said that the main reason for visiting was (a) The very cheap flights which they were led to believe the Thai government subsidised, (b) They have never left their homeland before and this offer seemed to good to be true!

Let's not forget the viral Chinese  buffet videos on YouTube, quality high rollers ....lol 

I lived in China (albeit for relatively short periods of time)  for over twenty five years and it can certainly be cheaper than Thailand in recent years.  Depending of course, just where in China you live.  If you were talking to a couple of "birds" in Chiang Mai and they spoke English then I suspect they were from a large city like Hong Kong or Shanghai.  Those cities are definitely more expensive than Thailand if comparing restaurant prices.  I am quite surprised that you were able to find English speaking Chinese girls if they were on a budget Chinese package tour. The level of English they would have needed to have a conversation like you describe would mean they were very well educated.  Maybe they were actually tour guides? 

On 11/19/2021 at 1:05 AM, RichardColeman said:

The fact Thailand is not more easier to get in indicates to me a deliberate destruction of tourism and the people involved in it. 

They are scared and doing a slow reintroduction of tourism. Thailand never had a great tourism industry and 40 millions tourists is also too much for Thailand's tourists infrastructure. Opening up brothels all over the country fronting as bars to get bride and orgy finders is not tourism.  Unless they introduce a new measures for social safety nets for bar girls, it's better they keep it closed.

Edited by CartagenaWarlock