Train from Ploenchit BTS to Don Mueang Airport?

steevjee

Not directly.

You could:-

• Ride the BTS to MoChit
  • Swap to the MRT and ride to Bang Sue
  • Then swap to the Red Line for Don Mueang

Note that the Red Line is still officially under test so it's free but the schedule may be variable. Revenue service should be at the end of this month.

• Like 1

Or, for someone starting in the area of BTS Ploenchit, taking the blue line MRT from nearby Sukhumvit station onward to the blue line Bang Sue station, and then transferring there within the same Bang Sue station complex to the Red Line headed to DM might be a bit simpler...

My post below is on taking the Red Line to get to BKK CW Immigration via the Laksi station endpoint. But the general process is the same, as the DM station on the Red Line is just a bit further up the line, so to speak.

See the specifics here:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

or the easiest way is get the BTS to Mo Chit ( Chatuchak park )  and on the opposite side catch the A12 air-con bus to Don Meung Airport.  

Yes I'm familiar with that method but this time I have close to 40kg of luggage with me, so I might just get a Grab from Mo Chit or from my Hotel in Nana, it's been 2 years but last time I was there the Taxi Mafia were quoting obscene fares

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Yes I'm familiar with that method but this time I have close to 40kg of luggage with me, so I might just get a Grab from Mo Chit or from my Hotel in Nana, it's been 2 years but last time I was there the Taxi Mafia were quoting obscene fares

Don't ever get a regular taxi direct from a hotel in BKK, or you're asking to get ripped, especially in the lower Sukhumvit area that includes Nana.

Grab, on the other hand, has pre-set prices for airport trips. Or, just flag down a meter taxi on a main road, and the fare should be normal and reasonable.

If the taxi isn't willing to do a straight meter trip, pick another taxi.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, steevjee said:

well if you have nearly 40kg then just get a taxi from near your hotel .... maybe one of those larger wagon van taxis that has room in the back.   It'll cost 160- 280 baht ( depends what time you go )  

With all that luggage just pay a bit more for a taxi and relax rather than lugging around that around Mo Chit. imo

negotiate a price with the taxi >>>>  

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Don't ever get a taxi direct from a hotel in BKK, or you're asking to get ripped, especially in the lower Sukhumvit area that includes Nana.

Just flag down a meter taxi on a main road, and the fare should be normal and reasonable.

If the taxi isn't willing to do a straight meter trip, pick another taxi.

How about Grab from the Hotel, any better fare wise? Or indeed are there better car ride mobs around nowadays?

Download Grab app, register to your phone number, choose Transportation and select GrabSUV for a large car that won't complain about the luggage.

Another plus side - fare is fixed and you see it before you book.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Opposite side of what? You get off BTS heading north east into Morchit and A12 in on same side on street below?

the A12 airport bus runs from the opposite side of Chatuchak park ......    down on the street below where other buses pull up and depart from.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, steevjee said:

With that kind of luggage, I would personally take the BTS all the way to just behind Don Muang airport and then take a short taxi ride to the arrival gate

1 minute ago, steevjee said:

How about Grab from the Hotel, any better fare wise? Or indeed are there better car ride mobs around nowadays?

Yes. Bolt. It doesn’t take a 25% commission from drivers.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Opposite side of what? You get off BTS heading north east into Morchit and A12 in on same side on street below?

Last time I was there, which was some time back, the outbound A12 stop was at the far north end of the BTS complex there on the same side of the street you come down on to catch the outbound taxi queue (the park side, not the transit complex side).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steevjee said:

I'm not an expert on Grab. But I think, if you pre book thru Grab, the price is basically going to be the same whether they pick you up at your hotel or at a street location out front.

It's the regular taxis that hang around outside many hotels in central BKK that you want to avoid, because they often refuse meter trips and will ask ridiculous prices for trips to either airport...figuring they have sucker tourists in their grips who don't know any better.

29 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well if you have nearly 40kg then just get a taxi from near your hotel .... maybe one of those larger wagon van taxis that has room in the back.   It'll cost 160- 280 baht ( depends what time you go )  

Be curious about others experience with this...

Back in the days when we still did intl air travel, the wife and I tried several times to use Grab to book larger SUV-type taxi for trips to the airports from central BKK, and all of those experiences were BAD!

On the times we tried, the app would should numerous SUV taxis supposedly available in our area. But when we made the request for the airport trips, none of them accepted the trips.  Or, finally, once or twice, some driver did accept the trips, and then didn't show up as the promised time, and then later claimed they'd never received the booking the system said they'd accepted.

Maybe / hopefully, it's better now given that they are few tourists in town for the avaracious taxi drivers to hold out hope for.

We usually want the SUV type taxis, because we're carrying a lot of heavy luggage for long haul international trips. But at least in our tries, Grab made getting them next to impossible.

• 2 weeks later...