installing a smart light switch

andreww

Folks, I'm a total noob when it comes to wires, and despite tons of reading and watching online, I cannot figure out the riddle some Thai/Burmese electrician left for me at my home.

Currently I have the following 2-gang T&J light switch installed:

IMG_1741.thumb.jpeg.c9dd3b870b541d100e031d9c157109b8.jpeg

I managed to google an official wiring diagram that's quite different from the photo above:

1269335775_MessagesImage(245205323).png.871fcd0fb43fc1c52bcfa54bfa9f732f.png

At this point i'm already 100% confused which wire is where.

To add to my confusion, here's the switch I want to install instead:

(ignore LOAD3 as mine is a 2-gang variation):

1236804195_MessagesImage(1740101698).png.7f8059184d35543b7b4de1b11f651b4c.png

Now, can someone knowledgeable diagnose whether it's possible to install the new switch with current wiring, or I need to get some other kind of switch or I need to ask an electrician to re-wire something for me? Knowing how Thais work, I'd need to describe exactly what needs to be done, otherwise nothing would be done or I risk wasting everyone's time.

Thanks a log in advance! 

Edited by andreww

1. You need to buy the smart light switch with no neutral.

Your existing wiring is unlikely to have neutral at the switch.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2200958601-s7389852153.html

2. 2 way is a whole new world of hurt!

Maybe this ....

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/onlye-wifi-10a-2-alexa-google-home-i2837744174-s10354962343.html

2 gang, I'd use my first link and select 2 gang.

I'm currently putting in home voice automation, Tuya switches + Google mini nest.

Mostly done now.

3. If you're putting in a stairs 2 way switch I'd just forget the switches and connect a smart switch direct to the light itself.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2285417046-s7680881020.html

PS.

I have no idea about your existing wiring ....... seems to be too many wires.

I'd just connect the live to the light. Then cut the live and neutral at the light and put in the simple smart switch (3). What you have (3 gang need neutral) isn't suitable for your existing wiring.

Edited by BritManToo

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

PS.

I have no idea about your existing wiring ....... seems to be too many wires.

I'd just connect the live to the light. Then cut the live and neutral at the light and put in the simple smart switch (3). What you have (3 gang need neutral) isn't suitable for your existing wiring.

Are you confusing 2 gang (2 lights) with 2 way (1 light) ?

Your next exciting game is when you realise the smart switches don't fit in your existing switch boxes. 

IMG_20211110_085610.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Are you confusing 2 gang (2 lights) with 2 way (1 light) ?

Your next exciting game is when you realise the smart switches don't fit in your existing switch boxes.

Nah, I'm not that lame ???? It's a 2-gang switch for 2 sets of lights, and I measured everything meticulously before ordering the switch -- found exactly ONE on whole AliExpress that matches my panel and box. The size turned out to be correct, but as always happens in life, one cannot predict such thing as Thai wiring practices. 

Either way, your idea #3 may work, and these 1-way switches are dirt cheap, will order one and see if I can make it work. Cheers for the recommendations! 

• Like 1

@BritManToo as a matter of fact, your message about "2-way" and a glass of lemonchello gave me a moment of clarity: YES, it is a 2-way 2-gang switch, i.e. two sets of lamps controlled from opposite sides of the room. Which clarifies the number of wires (not their colors though) and now I know for sure there is no neutral and I either have to make one or find an appropriate smart switch to handle such config.

Edited by andreww
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, andreww said:

@BritManToo as a matter of fact, your message about "2-way" and a glass of lemonchello gave me a moment of clarity: YES, it is a 2-way 2-gang switch, i.e. two sets of lamps controlled from opposite sides of the room. Which clarifies the number of wires (not their colors though) and now I know for sure there is no neutral and I either have to make one or find an appropriate smart switch to handle such config.

Buy 2 of the 'Type 3' switches, leave your existing wall switches as they are.

Install the 'Type 3' switches in or above the light fittings.

If you have the dome style lights, there's plenty of room inside for the wifi switches. 

For it to work you need to set the wifi switches into the 'after power fail ON' mode.

So you can use the mechanical switches and the wifi switches.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1