Damp wall from neighbour's garden soil!

4 hours ago, blackcab said:

Apologies, I was in Bangkok mode when I write that. In Bangkok, Section 56 of the Bangkok Ordinance re Building Control B.E 2544 (2001) allows for a minimum gap between buildings of 50 centimetres.

Other provinces will differ. The starting point is the Building Control Act (1979), however each province can also be subject to a specific Ministerial Regulation.

It might well be that in one province the distance to boundary can be 2 meters and in another province the distance will be 1 meter. I doubt it will surprise anyone reading this that there is a complete lack of consistency across provinces in regard to this.

The closest the gap can be, however, is 50 centimetres. Any closer requires written consent of the other party.

I spent 50 year in construction in America and each state has its own building codes. Being from south Florida they have the strictest building codes I have known. The setback their is 7 feet but does not include fences. Fences are stand along and you may not attach a structure to them without getting a variance from the building department and your neighbors permission. The zero lot line homes are one of the exception.