Apple's Iphone

Guest Reimar

as long as you keep the "virus" to yourselves, i doubt any Mac user will worry about whatever you call them.

What serious virus writer would waste their time, trying to infect an OS that holds about 3 percent of the worldwide PC market?

reference:

Apple will hold about 3 percent of the worldwide PC market in the fourth quarter of 2006.

Edited by Rice_King

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your Windows people can bait all you like. I don't care.

It's a well-known fact that Mac users:

1) are more intelligent

2) are better looking

3) are wittier

4) make better lovers

5) don't snore

6) have CONSIDERABLY more attractive spouses

7) NEVER get fat

8) can sing better

9) are richer; and

10) well, are just so damned superior in all other respects

than you horn-rimmed glasses wearing Windows geeks.

Haven't you seen the ads, people?

(oh, and we're more fertile too)

:o No Threesomes ?...or is that included in # 10 ? :D

LaoPo

LaoPo,

that guy is born in an wrong time! 2007 years ago would be much better because at that time he may able to go in direct competition wirth someone named JC!!

Oh, and how that guy past the way?

Who wrote those comments about himself, must be out of any question and we maybe need to think about that he maybe is the only perfect living (still) human available at this time!!

Reimer. If you wait long enough, another point will come along soon. Try not to miss it this time.

I have an N95 and the sat nav and the ability to _pre_load_ maps on it is a god send. Used it in London on a recent trip and it worked nicely. That said I may end up with an iphone but possibly second generation. The thing for me is that I need to sign a service agreement when I return to the states because I was out of contract and cancelled when I left so it might as well be for an iphone.

What is pushing the price of the N95 here down? it's 25k thb in some places now but there hasn't been any competitor released.

Conversely, those users who currently use other phones and who like to change every twelve months might like to change to the iPhone ;-)

People talk about pricing. $499 is not that much compared to many other new release phones (based model 4gb model). It depends on the Thai pricing, but the Nokia n95 (who's sole selling point seems to be the sat nav) is currently retailing in Bangkok for around 28,000, a good 60% above the price of the iPhone.

What's the big fuss anyway. I have read reviews that the Iphone is indeed a nice looking device, but lacks some basic features that your average Nokia has. Then I hear all kinds of stories about the need to unlock this device:

(from yahoo news)

"But the cost of the iPhone, which is priced at either US$499 or $599 depending on the model, is not subsidized by AT&T.

Users must pay full price for the handset and sign a two-year contract, which requires them to pay from $59.99 to $99.99 per month for cellular service.

Unlocking the iPhone will enable the handset to be used with any cellular provider with a GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) or EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution) network, not just AT&T's network. That's an attractive proposition for users who already have a cellular contract with another carrier, or users outside the U.S. who can't wait to get their hands on Apple's new handset."

Seriously, you pay top dollar to obtain a phone, which is not at all paid for by the operator, still you are forced to pay a subscription fee of at least 60 USD for two years !

I guess it's the same deal as with the Ipod: nice looking MP3 player, but nowhere near the best on the market.

Norwegian hacker says he can bypass AT&T on iPhone

MENLO PARK, California (Reuters) - A well-known hacker claims to have overcome restrictions on Apple Inc.'s iPhone, allowing highly technical users to bypass AT&T Inc.'s network to use the phone's Internet and music features.

In a post dated July 3 on his blog, Jon Johansen, 23, a prolific hacker of consumer electronics gadgets since he was a teenager in Norway, said "I've found a way to activate a brand new unactivated iPhone" without signing up for AT&T service.

"The iPhone does not have phone capability, but the iPod and Wi-Fi work. Stay tuned!" he wrote on his long-running blog, which is combatively named "So Sue Me." The post was entitled "iPhone Independence Day," a play on the July 4 U.S. holiday.

The site contained technical details for other hackers, as well as links to software necessary to complete the process.

Reuters/Technology

Friday, July 6, 2007

LaoPo

What's the big fuss anyway. I have read reviews that the Iphone is indeed a nice looking device, but lacks some basic features that your average Nokia has. Then I hear all kinds of stories about the need to unlock this device:

(from yahoo news)

Seriously, you pay top dollar to obtain a phone, which is not at all paid for by the operator, still you are forced to pay a subscription fee of at least 60 USD for two years !

I would easily pay more for an unlocked iPhone - at $800, or whatever it costs. I am very annoyed Apple doesn't offer this option but I am sure eventually reason will prevail and they will do it. As it is, how useful is AT&T roaming in Thailand? Uh, not at all unless you like to pay well over $1 for both incoming and outgoing calls.

At least one well known N95 user has declared the iPhone as superior in almost all regards :o

http://scobleizer.com/2007/07/01/comparing-n95-to-iphone/

But - as long as it's SIM locked, it's just a shiny brick to me.

So it's "hacked" and all you have to lose is the phone's primary function? :o

LOL

agreed. it's a good first step, and cleverly executed - making iTunes think it talks to the Apple servers is not something that Apple can prevent so this is a quality hack, future-proof. the first lock has been cracked.

what makes me optimistic that the second one, the SIM lock will be hacked is that there's a lot of money to be made. crossing fingers. if you had a website to unlock iPhones and did that for $30 a phone, you'd instantly make millions of dollars. grey importers from all over the world would pay your fee and pass it on to the customers...

I asked earlier about the data connexion point, here form article referenced above is a couple of quotes:-

“I assume that someone will succeed in unlocking the iPhone,” said Avi Greengart, principal analyst, mobile devices at Current Analysis. “I also assume Apple will close whatever loophole is open the next time they synchronize [the software].”

... In the U.K. and Europe third parties have been unlocking handsets for several years, although there is no law that specifically protects them, McLaughlin [founder of Belfast, U.K.-based UniquePhones] said. However, in the U.S. it is legal to unlock mobile handsets under an amendment to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that was passed in November 2006.

McLaughlin said that even though it’s legal in the U.S. to unlock phones, he anticipates that if his team is successful, Apple may take legal action against them based on their tinkering with the firmware. “They’ll probably come after us for copyright infringement,” he said.

Regards

Guest Reimar

A question may is about the legality of the "unlocking" of the iPhone!

I assume that it is illegal to alter the firmware or other software of the iPhone and for the most (if not all) mobile phones too.

Personal I don't mind about it because the "toy" is anyway to much expensive. But is there any known legal procedure about of unlocking mobile phone and/or alter the firmware of them?

On todays high level it is for sure possible to check the "legal" status of the phone at any call taken from the phone. If comparing the serial number of the phone with the service contract there should be the differences monitored.

Answer's would be interesting!

Legal? In the US the DMCA makes just about any adjustment to a firmware application questionable, owing to its wording. Outside the US the position with IMEI for example {the real phone number} is that whilst it is not illegal per se, the obvious question is why, except in a case where the phone has been cloned which would normally be managed by the provider.

The case here is that Apple seems to lock, as it does with a chip in their PCs, access to the hardware/firmware thereby disallowing a customer to use their phone how they wish. If you want a iPhone you have to do it Steve's {AT&T's [02 in UK]}way. Personally I'm happy with my V3i which is slim unobtrusive and provides a modicum of iPod facilities, SMS, BT, voice dialling, camera and phone etc.. I can also add Java platform programs to the system if I so wish.

On the basis of the reviews this is an iPod+ with phone, using techniques which have been around for about 8 years {multi touch} though to be fair on a larger 'magic wall' style basis. I'd be interested to see the Prada {LG} phone as a comparison.

Regards

/edit clarification//

Edited by A_Traveller

The case here is that Apple seems to lock, as it does with a chip in their PCs, access to the hardware/firmware thereby disallowing a customer to use their phone how they wish.

For several years now, Apple's computers have used Open Firmware which uses numerous open source, FreeBSD components. It can also be freely modified (for the adventurous) by simply booting the machine into open firmware mode. It's definitely not "locked"

cndcvic wrote:
New member signs up today and first post is a link to his blog......

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Looks really a bit strange!!

And as sfokevin wrote:

I find your statement hard to believe... The iPhone is a little more sophisticated than your usual "locked" phone... The IPhone rquires you to initially activate any new iPhone thru an online sync with an iTunes account that will require you to sign up for a 2 year data plan... To date (less than 7 days released) all the proprietary "locks" on the iPhone have not been cracked...

So I checked a bit about "cracks" and "hacking" of the iPhone but found: NEARLY nothing! And the explanations I found wasn't truly to believe! :D

On the other hand I don't believe that Apple would develop and sell a product which is directly and easly to "hack"! If the story about this "hacked iPhone" is true, oh man, Apple is on a way down the secure (what ever) way!! I DON'T BELIEVE TAT AT ALL! :o:D:D

Interested here may also that the Iphone was ordered from eBay and shipped than via FedEx which arrived in Thailand today morning?! True? Calculate the time of order, buy, submit the money (on eBay need to pay in advance!), the seller need to send the goods to FedEx, FedEx proceed the Paperwork, FedEx send to Airport, after that by Plane to Thailand, pickup at Cargo, send to Buyer! Wow, I never kow that FedEx was that FAST!

My experiences with FedEx was a need of min. 3 Days after the goods deli9very to the FedEx office in US, to arrive in Thailand and another day to get it at m,y door! Not to tell the other times the seller was need!

Today is July 5. 2007 and the iPhone was launched in US at Ju7ne 29. 2007. That's 6 days! Could that be happens! :D

What can I say except I bought this on eBay.com where the seller is still offering unlocked iphone's, just search for yourself!

However, I should point out that whist the phone and the ipod features work fine I am having no success at all with email, maps or the other data related services.

I spoke to the seller who has given me some rather complicated instructions for changing the "APN" which is the bit that tells the phone how to connect to data services. I have changed my SIM card to DTAC now as I can have unlimited data, but as of now I am unable to get data services working.

The phone still works fine, I suspect that this is part of the problem of online activation. Apparently there is also a OTA hack that allows me to update the APN settings by a kind of text message.

Yes Im new to Thaivisa, and yes I included a link to my blog (non commercial and not even any ads) for anyone who wants to know more..why is that suspicious?

If you want to, check eBay.com for unlocked iphone and you can buy one too, perhaps if more people had an opinion based on hard facts this thread would make more sense!

Strangely though, my iphone came in a different box to the AT&T ones, I put a pic of the box on my blog, It has been suggested by a knowlegable friend that my iphone could be a pre-production model, but I dont think so as it was packaged in typical apple style.

The case here is that Apple seems to lock, as it does with a chip in their PCs, access to the hardware/firmware thereby disallowing a customer to use their phone how they wish.

For several years now, Apple's computers have used Open Firmware which uses numerous open source, FreeBSD components. It can also be freely modified (for the adventurous) by simply booting the machine into open firmware mode. It's definitely not "locked"

OSX indeed is locked, so that it doesn't run on any non Apple Hardware, it's doing so via a TPM chip, of course this lock has been hacked, so you can run it on non mac hardware (Intel or AMD based pc), but of course it would be illegal to do so.

Edited by sjaak327

Guest Reimar
As for unlocking the phone itself, the US Supreme Court ruled that unlocking phones is not illegal.

What's about of altering and/or changing the Firmware?

As for unlocking the phone itself, the US Supreme Court ruled that unlocking phones is not illegal.

What's about of altering and/or changing the Firmware?

If it contains open source code like Apple's does it's fair game. In fact it's breaking the law to disallow it in that case.

I don't think that legal issues are holding back any hackers!... The thing that will make this difficult to hack is the requirement to periodically sync the iPhone to iTunes to keep your music on the phone... You can bet that every sync will also scan the device,update firmware and make sure it complies with Apples rules...

Guest Reimar
I don't think that legal issues are holding back any hackers!... The thing that will make this difficult to hack is the requirement to periodically sync the iPhone to iTunes to keep your music on the phone... You can bet that every sync will also scan the device,update firmware and make sure it complies with Apples rules...

It's just a question of legality! Sure, nobody would hold back if they can do the job and I don't mind either!

Anyway I wouldn't use an iPhone and I'm happy with my N80!

key is to strip out itunes...... think once they figure that out - re-rom it, than bob's your uncle.

More on the state of the iPhone hacking here:

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

That page contains more information than you probably want to know. But I would think it's a safe bet that the iPhone has not been unlocked as long as these hackers haven't done so. Chances that random guy X on ebay who sells iPhone at inflated price knows more than these guys are... well... very low :o

The amount of effort and skills these guys are putting into the task is pretty amazing. The only looming danger I see is that every system update will kill the existing hacks, sort of like in the OS X on x86 project.

I am still hoping that Apple will at some point relent and offer an unlocked version. Maybe at a higher price or whatever, but there's got to be a way to match supply and demand here.