Apple's Iphone

Guest Reimar

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course we can!

So can the iPhone run Metatrader version 4 for mobile?

Does it come with a mail client able to connect to Microsoft Exchange in native mode?

Who cares, when it looks so good :o

It's like asking if Scarlett Johansson has a PHd in astrophysics.

Jeez, you guys just don't get it, do you?

Of course we can!

Does it come with a mail client able to connect to Microsoft Exchange in native mode?

So it's just a toy then? Ok, stylish and slick looking but still a toy right? It will suit the average Mac user down to the ground then :D

That's a joke by the way, I know I have to explain things carefully to Mac users, they often have problems even counting to 3, that's why Apple only gave them 2 mouse buttons :D

*chuckle*

Sorry couldn't resist it, I have nothing personally against Mac's or Mac users, god knows I've had to deal with them enough, and I always did love the old Mac's for the blow the P RAM and re-build the desktop ease of fixing things :D

Count me in as one of those fanboys. We're fanboys because the products are so - well - damned superior and stylish.

I'm in Chicago late July early August. I'll be buying one if I'm confident I can unlock the Cingular bullshit and get it to work with a Thai simcard.

yes it can be all yours for just the price of the phone +$175 early termination fee.

Source: AT&T / Cingular terms of service agrement

Cancellations/Early Termination Fee: An Early Termination Fee of $175 may be assessed against you in the event that you terminate your Wireless Service Agreement and/or selected plan before the expiration of its term. You may cancel your service, for any reason and without incurring the Early Termination Fee, within thirty (30) days of signing your Wireless Service Agreement, PROVIDED, however, that if you cancel service you will remain responsible for any service fees and charges incurred. If you cancel within three (3) days of signing your Wireless Service Agreement, you will be entitled to a refund of your activation fee, if any. If you exercise this option, you may be required to return devices and associated accessories purchased in connection with your Wireless Service Agreement.

Hmm so if you nix in within 3 days you have to give the phone back but you get a refund

Hold it for more than 3 days but not more than 30days you'r not charded the $175 but get charged "for any service fees and charges incurred." hopefully not exceeding $175 :o (I bet they're waiting to screw you on this one)

and 30 days + it's $175

Man I wish they would just sell this thing unlocked at an apple store. It would be so much easier.

• 4 weeks later...
Of course we can!

That's a joke by the way, I know I have to explain things carefully to Mac users, they often have problems even counting to 3, that's why Apple only gave them 2 mouse buttons :D

*chuckle*

Ummm...for the last couple of years, Macs have all come with a mouse that has four buttons (plus a two dimensional trackball), and the buttons are programmable.

So just to revive this thread, has anyone heard from any of the tech boys down at MBK that they can unlock an iPhone yet?

Well, writing this from an iPhone. Have to say that it justifies the hype.

It's a thing of beauty. Sleek and functional. The rate plans are pretty competitive for the US. The cost... it's fair if it wasn't on contract. The contract is a little different than normal, though- it doesn't prevent you from upgrading... you might need to renew, though. Also, the carrier tie-in with visual voicemail offers you some benefits- don't know if I could go back to the voice prompts!

As for MBK, doubt it will happen soon. Apple requires you to activate from a computer. Plenty of ways to make it very secure. Crossing my fingers, though!

They've already announced that battery replacements are $89. A replacement Nokia battery for the last phone I had to buy a spare for was $50. I'd say that the improved case design warrants the extra money...

As far as slack carriers and lock-in goes... I know the pain. I had the same problem with my Blackberry; you can't just pop another SIM card in it and have it work. I hope this does get solved before too long, so it is easy to walk away from a bad service provider. I'm guessing it's more likely that you can install a skype (or just plain SIP VOIP) client on the phone and make your calls through any available wifi networks first.

But I do have to say it's by far the best *phone* I've ever had, and it makes a pretty darn good web browser and e-mail client to boot. Ironically, I still haven't loaded any music onto it...

Guest Reimar

May it's interesting what you can read at DailyTech:

"Apple and AT&T score big with iPhone launch

Everyone knew that the iPhone was going to be big from the moment it was announced in early January. Apple CEO Steve Jobs hailed the device as the ultimate in mobile communications given that it could function as a phone, a mobile Internet device and as an iPod.

As the months progressed, the hype mushroomed even though the iPhone lacked a user-replaceable battery, physical keyboard, expansion slot, voice dialing, A2DP, MMS, iChat, flash support, copy and paste ability and video recording -- not to mention that the iPhone was tied solely to AT&T.

...................."

Source

Guest Reimar

At TechRepublic is a interested articel about the iPhone include how it looks from the inside and iclude a Video!

Interesting to see where is the SimCard and how to remove the card!

Read it here

Edited by Reimar

I played with the iPhone in the Apple store. I am here to report that yes, its revolutionary. It has features that most other smart phones have too, and is lacking some that others have. The revolutionary part is that it makes all these features instantly and easily accessible in a novel way that just doesn't compare to any other phone. Normal people - not just geeks and gadget lovers - will _want_ to browse the web, check emails, and use all other features of the iPhone. Because it's a pleasure to use in all aspects.

I would have gotten one in an instant but the whole SIM-lock situation makes it impossible for me. If I can't swap SIM cards when in Thailand, the U.S., and Europe I just can't use it. I would have reservations even if I was U.S. only based - I travel a lot and nothing is better than arrive in some country, buy a cheapo $5 SIM card, and start using the phone. It's just such an immensely useful feature that I can't be without it.

I 'll buy once there are reliably working hacks out - if anyone knows of one, please reply. So far, there are some nefarious companies claiming to have hacks but they might as well be scammers and it's very unclear whether or not these hacks - if they even work in the first place - would survive a software update.

Oh, and apart from the revolutionary finger-based user interface, the iPhone also looks better than pretty much any other phone I have seen. Which will guarantee that it sells like hotcakes all by itself.

It's a bit on the large side, but that is kind of required so the screen can be large enough so normal fingers can use it. The key pad is already a challenge for people with larger fingers.

Brand loyalty is a strange thing. Both Apple and Toyota have that secret formula. It's kind of like an incurable disease. If Apple put an Apple sticker on a turd it would still be a turd but Apple fans would tell you what a GREAT turd it is. :o

My new iPhone just arrived in Thailand today, via fed ex from the USA. I bought an unlocked iPhone on eBay.com, cost me an arm and a leg.

Anyway, the good news is that it works with AIS, but I need an unlimited data plan as its using data all the time and at 1 baht per min for data that means that it costs me 60 baht per hour just to leave it switched on.

It DOES have a sim slot.

Read more on my blog at http://www.technologybytes.co.uk/wireless-...ne-in-thailand/

Andy

My new iPhone just arrived in Thailand today, via fed ex from the USA. I bought an unlocked iPhone on eBay.com, cost me an arm and a leg.

Anyway, the good news is that it works with AIS, but I need an unlimited data plan as its using data all the time and at 1 baht per min for data that means that it costs me 60 baht per hour just to leave it switched on.

It DOES have a sim slot.

Read more on my blog at http://www.technologybytes.co.uk/wireless-...ne-in-thailand/

Andy

It uses data all the time? Any idea why?

Regards

It DOES have a sim slot.

Andy

I find your statement hard to believe... The iPhone is a little more sophisticated than your usual "locked" phone... The IPhone rquires you to initially activate any new iPhone thru an online sync with an iTunes account that will require you to sign up for a 2 year data plan... To date (less than 7 days released) all the proprietary "locks" on the iPhone have not been cracked...

It DOES have a sim slot.

Andy

I find your statement hard to believe... The iPhone is a little more sophisticated than your usual "locked" phone... The IPhone rquires you to initially activate any new iPhone thru an online sync with an iTunes account that will require you to sign up for a 2 year data plan... To date (less than 7 days released) all the proprietary "locks" on the iPhone have not been cracked...

New member signs up today and first post is a link to his blog......

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Guest Reimar

cndcvic wrote:

New member signs up today and first post is a link to his blog......

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Looks really a bit strange!!

And as sfokevin wrote:

So I checked a bit about "cracks" and "hacking" of the iPhone but found: NEARLY nothing! And the explanations I found wasn't truly to believe! :D

On the other hand I don't believe that Apple would develop and sell a product which is directly and easly to "hack"! If the story about this "hacked iPhone" is true, oh man, Apple is on a way down the secure (what ever) way!! I DON'T BELIEVE TAT AT ALL! :o:D:D

Interested here may also that the Iphone was ordered from eBay and shipped than via FedEx which arrived in Thailand today morning?! True? Calculate the time of order, buy, submit the money (on eBay need to pay in advance!), the seller need to send the goods to FedEx, FedEx proceed the Paperwork, FedEx send to Airport, after that by Plane to Thailand, pickup at Cargo, send to Buyer! Wow, I never kow that FedEx was that FAST!

My experiences with FedEx was a need of min. 3 Days after the goods deli9very to the FedEx office in US, to arrive in Thailand and another day to get it at m,y door! Not to tell the other times the seller was need!

Today is July 5. 2007 and the iPhone was launched in US at Ju7ne 29. 2007. That's 6 days! Could that be happens! :D

Guest Reimar
Actually,the Iphone has been cracked by Norwegian,Jon,who also hacked Itunes...

http://nanocr.eu/2007/07/03/iphone-without-att

Fine, I didn't got that one.

But read at the blog: The iPhone is cracked for iPod and WiFi only but NOT for the Phone capability:

""I’ve found a way to activate a brand new unactivated iPhone without giving any of your money or personal information to AT&T NSA. The iPhone does not have phone capability, but the iPod and WiFi work. Stay tuned!""

And: that crack was on July 3. 2007 not before, which means NOT time enough for to buy via eBay and receive it in Bankok already!!

Your Windows people can bait all you like. I don't care.

It's a well-known fact that Mac users:

1) are more intelligent

2) are better looking

3) are wittier

4) make better lovers

5) don't snore

6) have CONSIDERABLY more attractive spouses

7) NEVER get fat

8) can sing better

9) are richer; and

10) well, are just so damned superior in all other respects

than you horn-rimmed glasses wearing Windows geeks.

Haven't you seen the ads, people?

(oh, and we're more fertile too)

:o No Threesomes ?...or is that included in # 10 ? :D

LaoPo

Guest Reimar
Your Windows people can bait all you like. I don't care.

It's a well-known fact that Mac users:

1) are more intelligent

2) are better looking

3) are wittier

4) make better lovers

5) don't snore

6) have CONSIDERABLY more attractive spouses

7) NEVER get fat

8) can sing better

9) are richer; and

10) well, are just so damned superior in all other respects

than you horn-rimmed glasses wearing Windows geeks.

Haven't you seen the ads, people?

(oh, and we're more fertile too)

:o No Threesomes ?...or is that included in # 10 ? :D

LaoPo

LaoPo,

that guy is born in an wrong time! 2007 years ago would be much better because at that time he may able to go in direct competition wirth someone named JC!!

Oh, and how that guy past the way?

Who wrote those comments about himself, must be out of any question and we maybe need to think about that he maybe is the only perfect living (still) human available at this time!!

Edited by Reimar

Actually,the Iphone has been cracked by Norwegian,Jon,who also hacked Itunes...

http://nanocr.eu/2007/07/03/iphone-without-att

This is all fine and dandy... This guy has a $600 8gb wifi Ipod not a PHONE!.... But it is a good start, I think in time we will see a hacked phone that one can make calls using any sim... but it will never have the full functionality it was designed with... Remember in the end this thing NEEDS to be synced to iTunes periodically... thats where big brother's got you...

Brand loyalty is a strange thing. Both Apple and Toyota have that secret formula. It's kind of like an incurable disease. If Apple put an Apple sticker on a turd it would still be a turd but Apple fans would tell you what a GREAT turd it is. :D

:o I think that many Apple fans are victims / volunteers of the Reality distortion field.

Brand loyalty is a strange thing. Both Apple and Toyota have that secret formula. It's kind of like an incurable disease. If Apple put an Apple sticker on a turd it would still be a turd but Apple fans would tell you what a GREAT turd it is. :D

:o I think that many Apple fans are victims / volunteers of the Reality distortion field.

as long as you keep the "virus" to yourselves, i doubt any Mac user will worry about whatever you call them.

Apple shares at new high on iPhone sales prospects

NEW YORK, July 5 (Reuters) - Shares of Apple Inc. rose more than 4 percent to an all-time high on Thursday as investors bet on strong demand for its media-playing iPhone and speculation mounted over plans to sell the device in Europe.

"Analyst estimates for iPhone sales in its first weekend run as high as 700,000 units, beating many investors' expectations, and some now expect the momentum to continue. The device went on sale last Friday."

Reuters.

LaoPo

I don't think this is a product driven only by geeky brand loyalty... It is a very inventive evolution/merging of technology... You can bet that Nokia, Samsung, Sony, LG and all the rest will ALL have a phone that are based on the iPhones ideas within a year... Unlocked and at a price all you Apple basher's can afford...

More news:

The Computer Of The Future

Burlingame, Calif. -

What do mobile phone geeks call their useless, deactivated handhelds? Bricks.

But enterprising new owners of Apple's iPhone have discovered that even if they remove the tiny activation card from their new toy, it’s still far more useful than a paperweight. Instead of a phone, it becomes a Web-browsing device with a big, beautiful screen--and a vision of what's next for personal computers.

more here:

http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/03/apple-iph...aily_newsletter

LaoPo