Apple's Iphone

Guest Reimar

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone seen the cect 168 ifone and tried it?seems like a worthwhile alternative

bc

The thing is, if you think it's a worthwhile alternative you are missing the point of owning an iPhone entirely.

But you may be happy in your own little world.

Sure, if you want people to *think* you have the real thing when looking from a distance then fine.

And if that is the only thing you care about, go get one..

But the whole point about the iPhone is the software. You don't get that unless you buy an iPhone.

i know its not the same software,but here where i live the iphone is not available because there is no O2 coverage and an hacked one is a expensive and risky alternative

these ones,i just saw the a380 model with fingerprint security has some nice features too i think

matt

ps. i wouldnt think about it if i could get the real thing here or apple wouldnt block hacked ones

Just dont upgrade to 1.1.1 just now. The Hacking Dev Team are working very hard on 1.1.1 there is already a downgrade been found for 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 just a matter of days before its decrypted.

Using 1.0.2 I got from MBK with no problems just switched off update checking itunes until 1.1.1 is hacked. Your phone will never be forced updated to 1.1.1 without your confirmation.

Do you know what kind of hack they use at Maboonkrong?

One of their own?

Those boys are rather fit.

Thai hackers are good at finding hacks other people created but "rather fit", puh-leeze. Creativity is not a Thai trait.

You don't necessarily need to be in Thailand though so where are you exactly?

hi people, might be irrelevent to the topic but dont wish to open yet another thread just for this question.

I am using a Nokia E65 , and i was wondering if there's any thai software that can enable my mobile to read thai text? i am not in thailand now so i cant pop into MBK to get it done..

i know its not the same software,but here where i live the iphone is not available because there is no O2 coverage and an hacked one is a expensive and risky alternative

these ones,i just saw the a380 model with fingerprint security has some nice features too i think

matt

ps. i wouldnt think about it if i could get the real thing here or apple wouldnt block hacked ones

Well all you have to do in order to prevent Apple from bricking your iPhone is untick the "check for software updates automatically" box in iTunes. It's not really that hard. Don't upgrade your firmware and you are safe for life.

Then you can go ahead and enjoy your 1.0.2 revision iPhone all you want. It syncs beautifully with iTunes - as soon as you plug it in, it updates address book, bookmarks(!), music, calendar, etc. It's miles better than fumbling around with Nokia/SE's crap "phone suite" software.

And the third party apps more than make up for the 1.1.1 firmware improvements which were mainly some bugfixes.

As for the fakes: Unless you are also carrying a fake Porsche car key that really doesn't make any sense.

Edited by nikster

Actually 1.1.1 as of a couple of days ago has been hacked. www.iphonesimfree.com or www.gizmodo.com for more information.

I am holding off for another couple of weeks on 1.1.1 just to be sure that its 100% brick proof.

matt

Well all you have to do in order to prevent Apple from bricking your iPhone is untick the "check for software updates automatically" box in iTunes. It's not really that hard. Don't upgrade your firmware and you are safe for life.

Then you can go ahead and enjoy your 1.0.2 revision iPhone all you want. It syncs beautifully with iTunes - as soon as you plug it in, it updates address book, bookmarks(!), music, calendar, etc. It's miles better than fumbling around with Nokia/SE's crap "phone suite" software.

And the third party apps more than make up for the 1.1.1 firmware improvements which were mainly some bugfixes.

As for the fakes: Unless you are also carrying a fake Porsche car key that really doesn't make any sense.

Actually 1.1.1 as of a couple of days ago has been hacked. www.iphonesimfree.com or www.gizmodo.com for more information.

I am holding off for another couple of weeks on 1.1.1 just to be sure that its 100% brick proof.

iphonesimfree is a paid-for solution - they have already unlocked the 1.1.1 iPhone. Free solutions are bound to follow very soon.

As for it being brick-proof: As long as Apple follows down the path it's chosen, dumb as that may be, it will likely break everything again in the next revision.

The 1.1.1 unlock solution is based on a TIFF exploit in Safari that's been known for years. Technically it will be very easy to close this exploit, and in fact Apple kind of has to in order to keep malicious hackers out. So the current unlocking solutions won't work in the next firmware release.

As far as I can tell if you have a unlocked iphone using one of the free methods that are out there (AKA MBK Iphone). If you run Iphonesimfree v1.6 (The New One)...your Iphone will still be bricked.

It will always be cat and mouse between apple and the hackers. Although Apple will never win it.

iPhone firmware 1.1.1 has been officially hacked, free as in free beer:

<a href="http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/10/10/offi...e-tiff-exploit/" target="_blank">http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/10/10/offi...e-tiff-exploit/</a>

So the MBK dealers will be able to continue to sell unlocked phones :o

Not quite.. but they can downgrade the 1.1.1 phones to 1.0.2, and then back up again.. But reports of this being hard and unreliable are surfacing.. Also you cannot rescue previously bricked phones *yet*. Give it a week and they'll be on top of all of that.

I got my iPhone at MBK this weekend.. Well my Wife bought it for me.

They have a massive stock still. In fact every stall has iPhone boxes on it on flour 4.

You also get a screen protector and a case cover thrown in free, as well as loads of software and music on the phone.

It's an amazing piece of kit..

On the way home we used Google maps and the faux GPS software to watch our progress home in the cab. It even picked up a few Wifi networks from the cab and switched to those, but on AIS GPRS it ran the maps fine too... Fantastic fun.

Edited by scratt

• 1 month later...

This has got to be good news on the Iphone front right? Looks like Vodafone in Germany have challenged (and will win) the Iphone - T-mobile tie up. Meaning T-mobile have to sell the Iphone sim free so it can be used on other networks!

So surly if a court has decided the phone must be available sim free (although at a ridicules price) Apple cannot then go and brick it with a update, right?

Will be worth keeping an eye on at least.

source

Edited by miniwai

Sorry for resurrecting this thread again, but rather than start a new one, I'll ask here....

Iphone owners what are your best 3rd party apps? Saw DamianM asking for a site for all the best apps which didn't get much response. So I'm asking for personal opinions. What's cool and what's not? Also are you all using Installer?

Hi, there are quite a few apps which are very useful.

Pushr - Uploads Pics from your Phone to Flickr

Services - allows your to switch on - off WLAN, Edge, Bluetooth easily

Lockbox - Stores secret data on your phone

Apollo - IM for the Phone

Customize - can change the order of icons and customize the whole visual look

Really not much missing. I think most prople use the installer. There are hundreds of programs.

What I wonder, are there yet adapters available to connect an alternative headphone? Must be. Although the sound is yet much better than other phones I know, I still like to connect my Koss headphone to it.

Cheers