Apple's Iphone

Guest Reimar

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys can any1 tell me when can we expect to get this phone in bangkok.

Yes - as soon as the hacker website I mentioned above succeeds in unlocking the phone, or in "2008" when Apple plans to release iPhone in Asia - whichever happens sooner.

Before that you'll probably be able to buy it somewhere but not able to use it as a cell phone which kinda defeats the purpose.

Looking at ebay I see there are sellers based in Hong Kong offering the av-p688 from China. Get one before the legal case. Expect to see these here soon, being sold as i-phones. :o

Give-aways, buttons, 1.3 mp camera and dual band {non USA} but from a distance..... :D .

Regards

Link

Edited by A_Traveller

Clever Promo from Apple: :o

Apple plans cheaper, Nano-based phone: JP Morgan

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Inc. plans to launch a cheaper version of the iPhone in the fourth quarter that could be based on the ultra-slim iPod Nano music player, according to a JP Morgan report.

Kevin Chang, a JP Morgan analyst based in Taiwan, cited people in the supply channel he did not name and an application with the U.S Patent and Trademark office for his report dated July 8.

Apple filed a patent application document dated July 5 that refers to a multifunctional handheld device with a circular touch pad control, similar to the Nano's scroll wheel.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris declined comment.

Long lines of people turned out on June 29 when U.S. sales began for the iPhone, a mobile phone with a music player and Web browser. Analysts have estimated that sales in the first weekend were as high as 700,000 units.

Chang said a way to follow up the iPhone with a cheaper version would be to convert the Nano into a phone and price it at $300 or lower. The iPhone sells for $500 and $600, depending on storage space.

"We believe that iPod Nano will be converted into a phone because it's probably the only way for Apple to launch a lower end phone without severely cannibalizing iPod Nano," he said noting that the new phone could have "rather limited functionality."

More on: Reuters/Technology.

LaoPo

I just came across this site, located in Bangkok, called "got-iphone.com" :

http://www.got-iphone.com/product.detail.p...n&id=982238

Looks like there are a couple of questions about iPhone and replies from got-iphone:

http://www.tarad.com/got-itshop/webboard.p...130〈=en

http://www.tarad.com/got-itshop/webboard.p...132〈=en

From my extremely rudimentary Thai reading capability, it looks like from the second link they don't have it yet but maybe it will come "soon"? Anyone care to translate?

• 1 month later...
I would like to buy an IPhone (i dont care if its unlocked or not.) I think i can find the necessary software online... its just that ... where do you order it?

Except Ebay and such.... dont have much confidence in these sites.

www.international-orders.com looks pretty good, though they charge $100 over the street price in the U.S. I don't know how they handle customs and shipping costs but the website at least looks legit.

Does anyone have personal experience with them? How does shipping to Thailand work? What are the shipping costs, how do they handle customs?

My main problem is that I simply don't trust Thai customs - whenever I read about import taxes on their english website, it ends up being 200% of what they think it's worth. In other words, the law is that import tax is as much as they want to charge you. Ha-ha. And the real-world experiences I hear about invariably involve significant amounts of tea-money. Not gonna risk $300 on that.

On the street in BKK is probably your best option. It would be dead easy to fly in a bunch of iPhones with a courier. And I am sure they are doing it already. It will be overpriced and unlocked though.

Even before the phone was unlocked they were selling them at MBK for new twice their value.

I'm sure once they unlock process becomes more mainstream they will sell them at MBK. I know

for a fact that Winner Telecom at MBK sells them but I'm not sure if they've got them unlocked

and working with AIS/DTAC etc. I do know that you'll pay a premium for them though.

I'm in the US at the moment and I may be heading to asia soon and may pick up one before I leave.

Can anybody summarize the status of unlocking at the moment?

They are readily available unlocked and working on AIS/DTAC for about Bt32,000 at MBK. Why anyone would want to pay this much remains a mystery. The retail price in the US now is US$399 and the unlock is available off the internet for free. But both the price reduction and the free unlock have become available in the past week. Give it two weeks and iphones should be available in MBK for around Bt20,000 unlocked.

You can go to premier i_ site and find out all about it -ilounge.com

I will say that i do not like the way my iPod handles music (DRM, only 1 computer, list is endless). If it were not for the large drive - I would not have bought it.

Why do you want such a dumb contraption? What to do when the player side goes? OR ... the music side. You lose one or the other for weeks.

Apple does not repair anything in Bangkok. That is 100% fact.

Buy the WTY!!

WARNING!

I wish to warn here that there are already counterfeit iPhones on the market (6 months ahead of the official release in the USA !) I'm not sure if they're in Thailand but it wouldn't surprise me.

Please be careful:

IPhone Knockoffs Steal Sales as Apple Delays in Asia

Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- At the end of an alley in Taiwan's most violent city, a black Mercedes-Benz sedan blocks a sliding- glass door that opens only from within. Inside, technophiles can buy iPhone knockoffs for two-thirds the legitimate price.

With a touch-screen and Apple Inc.'s logo on the back, the ``iClones'' look just like the real thing. Apple won't offer iPhones -- which combine a phone, music and video player with wireless Internet -- in Asia until 2008. The owner of the shop in Sanchung, near Taipei, says he began selling ``aifungs'' in December, six months before the iPhone went on sale in the U.S.

``We can't ignore iPhone because it's so hot,'' says Ben, who spoke on condition he be identified only by his first name because selling pirated phones is illegal.

The clones show how fast Asian counterfeiters move. Ben says his company designed the fakes from pictures posted on the Internet before Apple Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone in January. Knockoffs cost the global economy $650 billion annually, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce estimates. Apple spokeswoman Jennifer Bowcock wouldn't discuss how much the company loses as a result of phony products.

``The longer Apple delays, the more the pirates can rip the company off,'' says Chialin Lu, an analyst at Yuanta Core Pacific Securities Co. in Taipei.

Jobs hasn't explained the delay. Kevin Chang, an analyst at JPMorgan Chase & Co., says carriers need time to modify their networks for the iPhone's technology.

Story continues here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=a7K_I.ifMcEA

LaoPo

WARNING!

I wish to warn here that there are already counterfeit iPhones on the market (6 months ahead of the official release in the USA !) I'm not sure if they're in Thailand but it wouldn't surprise me.

Please be careful:

Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- At the end of an alley in Taiwan's most violent city, a black Mercedes-Benz sedan blocks a sliding- glass door that opens only from within. Inside, technophiles can buy iPhone knockoffs for two-thirds the legitimate price.

Some news channel showed people buying knockoffs in Shanghai I think. They were US $1,000 and didn't have all the functionality.

WARNING!

Please be careful:

Some news channel showed people buying knockoffs in Shanghai I think. They were US $1,000 and didn't have all the functionality.

I don't know.

This is what the article says:

" The knockoff phones are produced in batches of 1,000 at a factory in Shenzhen, China, across the border from Hong Kong, says Ben, 26. He advertises his phones on the Internet and sells them for NT$8,900 ($270). On Sept. 5, Jobs cut the price of the top iPhone to $399, a $200 reduction.

``The guts aren't hard,'' Ben says. ``The hard part is the design and the exterior.''

He says his operation has sold more than 10,000 clones in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and the U.S.

In Shanghai, the knockoffs are kept under the counter of a cramped market stall on the sixth floor of a trash-strewn building near the railway station.

`Chinese iPhone'

Ni, who spoke on condition he be identified only by his surname, says he started selling the knockoffs after reading a newspaper story on the iPhone hype.

The phones go for 1,000 yuan ($133), and Ni says most of his sales are made over the Internet. He refused to identify his supplier, saying, ``That's a trade secret.''

``What I'm selling is a Chinese iPhone,'' says Ni, 48. ``It's not a fake iPhone. It works perfectly fine.''"

LaoPo

WARNING!

Please be careful:

I don't know.

This is what the article says:

" The knockoff phones are produced in batches of 1,000 at a factory in Shenzhen, China, across the border from Hong Kong, says Ben, 26. He advertises his phones on the Internet and sells them for NT$8,900 ($270). On Sept. 5, Jobs cut the price of the top iPhone to $399, a $200 reduction.

``The guts aren't hard,'' Ben says. ``The hard part is the design and the exterior.''

He says his operation has sold more than 10,000 clones in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia and the U.S.

In Shanghai, the knockoffs are kept under the counter of a cramped market stall on the sixth floor of a trash-strewn building near the railway station.

`Chinese iPhone'

Ni, who spoke on condition he be identified only by his surname, says he started selling the knockoffs after reading a newspaper story on the iPhone hype.

The phones go for 1,000 yuan ($133), and Ni says most of his sales are made over the Internet. He refused to identify his supplier, saying, ``That's a trade secret.''

``What I'm selling is a Chinese iPhone,'' says Ni, 48. ``It's not a fake iPhone. It works perfectly fine.''"

LaoPo

Well it did sound outrageous when the news reporter said that. 1,000 yuan sounds more reasonable if not a little cheap.

There are loads of Nokia, SE, iPod fakes around, too, the iPhone fake is the same thing. The outer shell looks somewhat similar to the real device but none of these fakes are good enough to not be obvious at closer inspection.

And the inside is some generic mobile phone parts - I am sure the phone function works fine, but I wouldn't bet on these doing anything else.

Why anyone would be buying this is beyond me. I did like the brand name "Snog Ericsson" though... :o

WARNING

I have just removed a whole bunch of posts with regards to selling iphones.

This is not a commercial classifieds section and should NOT be used to sell goods. Anyone continuing to do so here will be dealt with as a spammer.

totster

3_3_21.gif

36_2_68.gif

MBK. Was full of iPhones today, with unlock signs all over the place. Prices around 22 to 25 k {without bargaining}.

Regards

Tx for the report. Good to know... mine's coming via friend for $299 (+tax)... :o

That's quite a difference to THB 30,000.00!! And they will come more down in price!!

I think the change of the price is very exiting for those who paid a huge price!!

Even more for those who bought via Internet or so!!

If you bought the phone and used it with AT&T then the cost of ownership is the rate plan commitment you have with them. Early buyers are only out $100 USD given the $100 credit offered. The problem is for those who bought a now discontinuted 4GB model.

MBK. Was full of iPhones today, with unlock signs all over the place. Prices around 22 to 25 k {without bargaining}.

Regards

Tx for the report. Good to know... mine's coming via friend for $299 (+tax)... :o

That's quite a difference to THB 30,000.00!! And they will come more down in price!!

I think the change of the price is very exiting for those who paid a huge price!!

Even more for those who bought via Internet or so!!