Still confused about vaccine availability / waiting times

Badger18

I've had a look at previous posts but am a bit confused about the current situation.

I'm trying to get boosters roughly every 6 months and had planned to get one in the UK in March then in Bangkok in September. I thought I was going to have to be in the UK in March anyway so that made sense.

Now it looks as though I may be in Chiang Mai in March. Is there any chance of getting a booster (other than Sinopharm / Sinovax) while I'm there?

I'm not resident or in a high risk group btw.

Thanks for any clarification.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ThLT said:

Moderna is available paid. However, there is a 4-6 month queue.

But again: vaccines are scarce for Thai citizens. Many have not even gotten their first shot

"Boosters every 6 months"—while people are still waiting for their first shot—is a bit pushing it.

Thanks. It's totally doable with planning. It's just that with the announcement that they're going to keep on with the covid extensions, I was thinking of changing my plans.

3 minutes ago, Badger18 said:

Thanks. It's totally doable with planning.

You're really not getting the point I'm trying to get across?

There is a queue of 4-6 months for Moderna because there are not enough doses.

Vaccines are scarce for Thai citizens. Some have not even gotten their first shot.

And you want "boosters every 6 months".... in a country that you are not a citizen and that is lacking in vaccines.

Edited by ThLT
  • Like 2

I got my two "freebies" a la Pfizer from the somewhat tardy official program. Scheduled for a Moderna jab in March that my dear wife arranged and paid for some time ago. As has been mentioned it is not as easy as walking into Boots and asking for a booster jab.

This was issued by the government yesterday- it's for Bangkok, but CM probably won't be far behind- boosters for both Thais and foreigners, and it seems dependent on what you were dosed with for your first and second shots- most foreigners were given SV/AZ or two doses of Pfizer rather than SV/SV or SP/SP:

23101687-9985-4A45-B3F6-F1589F8D38F1.jpeg

Edited by flare
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, flare said:

This was issued by the government yesterday- it's for Bangkok, but CM probably won't be far behind- boosters for both Thais and foreigners, and it seems dependent on what you were dosed with for your first and second shots- most foreigners were given SV/AZ or two doses of Pfizer rather than SV/SV or SP/SP:

23101687-9985-4A45-B3F6-F1589F8D38F1.jpeg

"Chiang Mai won't be far behind" 

It was announced here last week for the general public who have had two sino shots - registration through the Wall of Chiang Mai. They've been offering high-risk/over 65 boosters for over a month as well. 

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

"Chiang Mai won't be far behind" 

It was announced here last week for the general public who have had two sino shots - registration through the Wall of Chiang Mai. They've been offering high-risk/over 65 boosters for over a month as well. 

For foreigners?  When I checked the 'Wall of CM' site, it said it's currently closed to non-Thais, unlike the announcement for Bangkok, which includes foreigners- see below.  It's possible it's only closed to new registrations but open to foreigners for boosters if they've already been vaxxed, but any non-Thai who didn't already register but had their shots elsewhere can't currently do so for a booster, or even register for their first shots- CM likely won't be far behind Bangkok in doing this.

31AC9CAF-F7F0-4609-AA9D-BE19D031373B.jpeg

Edited by flare

20 hours ago, ThLT said:

You're really not getting the point I'm trying to get across?

There is a queue of 4-6 months for Moderna because there are not enough doses.

Vaccines are scarce for Thai citizens. Some have not even gotten their first shot.

And you want "boosters every 6 months".... in a country that you are not a citizen and that is lacking in vaccines.

In March of next year.  Chillout and let him get some answers.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Badger18 said:

Now it looks as though I may be in Chiang Mai in March. Is there any chance of getting a booster (other than Sinopharm / Sinovax) while I'm there?

I paid for Moderna before I got Pfizered, I will now be using Moderna as a booster.

Best to check which private hospitals doing Moderna, go on their Facebook page as some people on the one over here are wanting to sell their Moderna shots which are transferable but you will have to make sure its ok with the hospital for the time frame your looking at, the one that is doing me has confirmed March for me in an email for my booster.

If you have a Thai partner or friend, get them to look at Thai forums in Chang Mai as I am sure there will be people wanting to sell their Moderna shots, because they have received something else and don't need them, although might be a bit pricey at 3,300 baht for 2 doses, of which you will only get 1, but the way I see it is a single Pneumonia jab will set you back as much so in my opinion, it's worth it.

After March I would imagine vaccines will be readily available at most hospitals for a fee.

Hope it works out for you, forward planning is always best.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, atpeace said:

In March of next year.  Chillout and let him get some answers.

March "of next year" is in 3 months.

The OP wants "boosters around every 6 months" and wants to do that in front of citizens of a developing country which is lacking in vaccines... who have been waiting 4-6 months for Moderna shots, or of which many citizens haven't even gotten their first shot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I paid for Moderna before I got Pfizered, I will now be using Moderna as a booster.

Best to check which private hospitals doing Moderna, go on their Facebook page as some people on the one over here are wanting to sell their Moderna shots which are transferable but you will have to make sure its ok with the hospital for the time frame your looking at, the one that is doing me has confirmed March for me in an email for my booster.

If you have a Thai partner or friend, get them to look at Thai forums in Chang Mai as I am sure there will be people wanting to sell their Moderna shots, because they have received something else and don't need them, although might be a bit pricey at 3,300 baht for 2 doses, of which you will only get 1, but the way I see it is a single Pneumonia jab will set you back as much so in my opinion, it's worth it.

After March I would imagine vaccines will be readily available at most hospitals for a fee.

Hope it works out for you, forward planning is always best.

I agree. My second jab outside Thailand was March. Not being resident here I am a bit concerned that some countries will start asking for jabs less than 12 months old before allowing entry. Will bide my time but come February will be looking for a booster even if it is just for travel. No issue with paying, hopefully plenty available by then.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 9:17 AM, Badger18 said:

Is there any chance of getting a booster (other than Sinopharm / Sinovax) while I'm there?

Moderne from a private hospital, there might be enough vaccines in March, but booking as early as possible might be wise.

• Thanks 1

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Sounds like a transfer of an existing booking from someone who's had Pfizer in the meantime would be the way to go. I'll get a couple of Thai friends to look into that. I do have shots reserved around the middle of the year in Bangkok so a swap might work if there's anyone whose Moderna shot is going to come up before they need a booster (I will be in Europe when my reserved shots come up) .

The other issue is whether a Thai certificate is going to be recognised by the EU. It seems it may depend on the country, which might lead to some nail biting. Different thread though.

Course if the latest superduper vaccine busting variant takes off it all becomes moot anyway.

Edited by Badger18

3 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Not being resident here I am a bit concerned that some countries will start asking for jabs less than 12 months old before allowing entry.

Yeah that's part of my concern too. One country (Austria, possibly) had a limit of 9 months.

2 hours ago, Badger18 said:

Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Sounds like a transfer of an existing booking from someone who's had Pfizer in the meantime would be the way to go. I'll get a couple of Thai friends to look into that. I do have shots reserved around the middle of the year in Bangkok so a swap might work if there's anyone whose Moderna shot is going to come up before they need a booster

Although not perfect, that seems a more reasonable option. 

For boosters, Moderna is 50 mcg rather than the usual 100 mcg. I'd check with the hospital if having a non-booster appointment is possible to get a 50 mcg booster.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, Badger18 said:

I'm trying to get boosters roughly every 6 months

I'm far from being an anti-vaxer but isn't getting jabbed every 6 months overkill?

• Thanks 1