Mask questions

sametdo

We're planning a two month stay in Thailand over the European winter period. We understand the entry rules etc, but are unclear on mask wearing other than the official position is that masks have to be worn in all public places.

What's the situation in the hotels/accommodation?  Do you have to wear a mask when sat/lying by the pool? In the pool?

Are masks required on the beach? when swimming?

We understand the requirement to wear a mask at the market/in a shop/on the street etc.

Would appreciate information from those already on the ground in Thailand.

Many thanks!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sametdo said:

What's the situation in the hotels/accommodation?  Do you have to wear a mask when sat/lying by the pool? In the pool?

Are masks required on the beach? when swimming?

Technically yes,  maybe the "Gestapo" will catch you maybe they won't   most likely they would just tell you to put a mask on but it's possible there could be much worse consequences...just something to think about.

P.S lots almost all  pubs,bars,discos,clubs etc are closed and restaurants

(except in few special areas) cannot serve alcohol..also at music festivals  you are not allowed to dance (covid risk) ????  :crazy:

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 5:52 PM, sametdo said:

We're planning a two month stay in Thailand over the European winter period.

Who knows what the mask situation might be in the future?

Bring masks.

And then gauge the situation when you arrive.

Not overly complex.

Plenty of Youtube vloggers here and posting daily, just use the hashtag bangkok or thailand and look for yourself.

I visit the parks and jogging paths now and again and it see many that are actively exercising (jogging, aerobics, park exercise stations) either without a mask or having it pulled down to their chin and no one gets bent out of shape over it.  

Hey there.

Welcome to normal Thailand pandemic version.

Masks?

Just strap it on like the tomboys do.

You won't be sorry.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/11/23/govt-threatens-to-fine-foreigners-who-dont-wear-facemask/

GOV’T THREATENS TO FINE FOREIGNERS WHO DON’T WEAR FACEMASK

Edited by Jingthing

In cities and on city beaches yes you must. Even in large towns like Hua Hin the law is almost 100 pct observed. I have no experience of other situations. 

The trick is to have some food or drink by you when you sit somewhere as masks are completely removed to eat or drink. French fries are still French fries, even when stone cold and 3 hours old... 

If you are out of your house/condo/room you have to wear a mask, no exceptions, that's what the law says. Failure to do this can result in a 20k fine.

Technically illegal, but socially accepted situations in which people take off their mask:

Eating / drinking

Driving car / riding bike

Exercising / Being in the pool

Taking pictures

On 11/27/2021 at 3:23 PM, kingstonkid said:

The rules in Thailand are very strict.  outside our home or hotel room wear a mask.

Obviously if you are swimming, eating or drinking then you can not wear a mask but as soon as you get out of the water or stop eating and drinking put the mask back on.

Masks in Thailand I think are going to be pretty well mandatory outside for quite awhile.

As to travel I would have said it would be easy but with the SA variant be careful they could close/restrict the border at any time.

IMO with the governments of the west going full on about the new variant, one would be a bit silly to travel at the moment. Almost looking to get stuck abroad.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 9:31 AM, easydoor said:

In case wearing a mask is your only concern, you better don't come. There are more important things te be worried about. What is your problem to wear a mask???? I am living here for many years and always wear a mask when I go out, just as the Thai people do around here.

Well, speak for yourself ( no offence meant) I cannot stand the mask and I take it off as soon as I can. I have difficulties breathing and I have stopped jogging since the mask is an obligation. So only swimming, until it is, ridiculously, forbidden once more.  and exercising at home. I am thinking about having a special mask made of silk but I am not sure about the quality of such a "protection"

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO with the governments of the west going full on about the new variant, one would be a bit silly to travel at the moment. Almost looking to get stuck abroad.

Agreed but we know that there are people that will do it and then cry and throw temper tantrum about how unfair life is when they are not allowed back home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1