Has anyone recently – since 1st November – entered on - or successfully applied for - a Non-Imm 'O' visa (retirement) from the UK Embassy?

If so, can you clarify what's required in terms of health/Covid insurance, because the requirements stated on the Embassy website for the Thailand Pass and for the Non-Imm 'O' visa itself differ.

Not only is it presented in a confusing and contradictory manner, but I suspect that the visa requirement info has not been updated – the page heading for Non-Imm visas is dated 28 Aug 2019.

Here are the relevant quotes for each:

Requirements for Foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction on Thailand Pass from 1 November 2021

“Foreigners need to provide health insurance with a minimum treatment coverage of 50,000 USD or equivalent in any other currencies.”

….......................................................................

Non-Immigrant visas

28 Aug 2019

Non-Immigrant Type O

(Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension.....)

“Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.”

...............................................................................................................................

There seems to be an overlap here which makes it very confusing.

The Thailand Pass requirement - which applies to all types of visa entries into Thailand - is for a health insurance covering 50,000 USD – no mention of Covid - see complete quote above - (???)

For the Non-Imm 'O' visa based on retirement, it states a requirement of health insurance that covers Covid 19 for 100,000 USD.

(note - Non-Imm page is still dated 28 Aug 2019, so could be out of date info? )

This is what happens when you get two sets of requirements for two separate things – the Thailand Pass and the Visa application – an overlap where one stated requirement seemingly contradicts the other.

I've asked the Thai Embassy to clarify, but it will take some time for a response because they are inundated with enquiries about the Thailand Pass etc.

Also, my faith in their ability to clarify this unequivocally is somewhat lacking.

So if there's anyone who has successfully entered on a Non-Imm 'O' visa based on retirement from the UK Embassy, please kindly enlighten me on this seeming conundrum.

Regarding insurance only:

What was required for the visa application?

And what was required for the Thailand Pass application?

Please... refrain from bringing up the Non-Imm 'O-A' – it's not relevant to this particular and specific question, and can only contribute more confusion as well as being an unwelcome diversion / distraction.

Thanks

Raymond

• Like 1

What they have on their website for the non-o visa is the same as that required for a OA visa now. Before it stated the 40/400k baht insurance.

You will on need the $100,000 insurance coverage that covers covid 19 to get the visa and then the Thailand pass valid for 90 days.

If you do not want to buy the $100k insurance you could enter visa exempt with $50k insurance and then apply for the non-o visa at immigration.

• Like 1

Thanks Ubon Joe

Sorry for delay in responding.

It's starting to make  more sense to just enter Visa exempt or tourist visa (because of all these extra requirements in UK and elsewhere), and take things from there.

Since my multi-entry based on marriage (Savannakhet) was used up whilst stuck in UK (and is unlikely to become available again in the foreseeable future), I'm intending to go non-o retirement plus extension in Thailand via an agent anyway.

Costly as I don't have the financials (just short), but in the end it takes the stress away.

2 hours ago, Grecian said:

If enter on visa exempt now does one open a bank account to deposit the 800k?

Bangkok Bank Phrom Phong (specifically, EmQuartier) did mine on a visa exempt this past spring.   This allowed me to establish the 800k account to do the extensions all the way up to a 1 year non-O retirement.   I don't know if it helped me that my wife was a long-established customer or not.

• Like 1