How Is Your Max-net

Last night I reached a new low in Max net speed.

Download..............16kbps

Transfer rate............2kbps

I pay 4,500 a month for this.

This morning was ok again 854/106, but the whole weekend was around the 60/7 mark. Is there anyway I can complain about this service, or am I dreaming again like when I complained to I.P. star?

So its not just me then. I have maxnet for life business (512/256) at 2500 baht a month.

Since the start of June, it has been running like treacle. occasional burst of speed, but usually about the same as the OP. at the moment, i have sent 2 1/2 times more packets than received - i guess because my computer would like to know whats happening !

tried stopping / restarting router etc, but no difference.

Is this anything to do with maxnet for life being an old product ? Have they crippled the bandwidth ?

This morning was ok again 854/106, but the whole weekend was around the 60/7 mark. Is there anyway I can complain about this service, or am I dreaming again like when I complained to I.P. star?

My neighborhood as a whole had maxnet speeds this low. Complaining individually nothing happened but one neighbor went house to house looking for maxnet customers and found that everyone was having the same issue. We sent a group email signed by all, including phone numbers and this actually got them moving. I sent you a PM for the contact at maxnet we eventually got ahold of. He seems to be able to get issues solved much faster than the standard support calls.

FYI, I made the switch to True thinking that my speeds might improve but they are far worse than maxnet. Support people respond quicker and are friendlier, but they don't get anything done. My chiang mai to bkk speed is often under 500 kbps (1024/512 connection), so even domestic internet is severely overloaded with True imho.

EDIT: @fft100, i have sent a pm to you as well.

Edited by Veazer

Well, I must be the lucky one. I think I am one of two or three people in my village that has it. My speed has been very consistant, and my price in Chiang Mai for 512/256 is only 895 baht. I have packet 8 for voip phone usage to USA and its clear as a bell.

Haven't had any problems really. Speeds pretty consistent on my Maxnet@life 256/128

Downloading quite a lot lately, and stable at 26 kBps.

Did have some DNS issues, so have opendns as back-up...

My neighborhood as a whole had maxnet speeds this low. Complaining individually nothing happened but one neighbor went house to house looking for maxnet customers and found that everyone was having the same issue. We sent a group email signed by all, including phone numbers and this actually got them moving. I sent you a PM for the contact at maxnet we eventually got ahold of. He seems to be able to get issues solved much faster than the standard support calls.

FYI, I made the switch to True thinking that my speeds might improve but they are far worse than maxnet. Support people respond quicker and are friendlier, but they don't get anything done. My chiang mai to bkk speed is often under 500 kbps (1024/512 connection), so even domestic internet is severely overloaded with True imho.

EDIT: @fft100, i have sent a pm to you as well.

I am on HiNet TT&T myself, and I have also had very sketchy connection speeds lately, although with a slight improvement the past 2-3 days. I also hear complaints from others, more than usual, so perhaps it is not just one ISP that has problems? Perhaps somebody has stolen an underwater cable again? :o

I have the B1,000/month MaxNET package (1024/512) and can routinely get upper 800k and lower 900kbps transfer rates reported using the ThaiVisa-linked speed test link.

However, MY grouse is that the ThaiVisa forums recently (a week or so now?) have been bloody slow! It often takes several minutes to load a single page. What's up with that?

Also, cannot have multiple pages downloading in background tabs as in the past. Seems the max is one connection at a time, occasionally two. I checked my browser (Opera) settings and in the Windows Registry and all are tweaked to allow multiple connections per server.

Haven't had any problems really. Speeds pretty consistent on my Maxnet@life 256/128

No problems? 26 kbps? You do mean 260 kbps don't you. And that's still very slow.

No problems? 26 kbps? You do mean 260 kbps don't you. And that's still very slow.

No, 26kbps is what I get from TOT Ipstar 256/128 when its working correctly for a couple of hours early morning. Then it slows down to a low dial-in speed. Every thing including Thai visa seems slow recently. Perhaps its old age.

26 kbps is only half of dialup speed (56 kbps).

You are probably confusing the download speed - shown when you are downloading a file, measured in kB/s (and can be calculated by dividing kbps by 8) with your line speed, measured in kbps?

That would make sense. 256 kbps is your nominal line speed, so 256/8 = 32 kB/s is your theoretical maximum download speed. But you will not get that because of some loss in the physical medium, so 26-28 kB/s what you can expect.

Don't get confused gentlemen!

26 kilo Bytes per second or kBps (capital B )

1 Byte equals 8 bits so:

26 kBps equals 208 kilobits per second (lower case b )

All internet providers provide their speeds in bits (kbps), but downloading something is always indicated in Bytes (kBps)

So yes, in my case on a 256 kbps I get an actual throughput of 208 kbps, which is over 80% of rated speed, and on adsl as fast as it will get due to overhead in the data transmissions (error correction, ip headers etc)

So careful with the lower and upper case for the b in the speed indication (kbps/kBps). Makes exactly factor 8 difference!

Now just maybe in the Maxnet case, I'm still at the Maxnet@life package (1551/month) which doesn't exist anymore, now they sell the Maxnet Premier package at 1090 Baht/month, which most probably will be shared more heavy....

The "speed test" pages generally don't show very fast speed but using µTorrent I generally download with 60-80 kB/s speeds so I must say it's well worth the 1000B/m for the 1024/512 Maxnet @ Home package. Now if I could just get a second line to double my speed :o

Edited by Phil Conners

Talked to someone who appeared to know what they are talking about in TTT today.

I asked what the difference was between Premier and MAXNET for life (apart from 400 baht a month), and was told nothing ! The contention rate is the same (10 users). The contention rate for the normal package is 20 users. So i immediately switched over to Premier to get the saving. got a new username and password for my router.

I was surprised at the low difference in contention between Premier and the normal package.

He couldnt explain why there had been a fall off in the last week, but did say that when i started a year ago that there was very little contention where i live, but it is now full (i.e. 10 users).

A friend 2 doors down on the cheapest package (790 a month) is getting a better rate than me at the moment, and the man from TTT said that that happens sometimes as it depends what the other 9 users on my line are doing.

p.s. he was surprised that someone in Hua Hin was sending emails to Chiang Mai !

O.K. My 16kbps was fantastic. Today it is under 1kbps. Yes. Download, not transfer rate. The Thai Visa speed test has been going 45 minutes and it's 45% complete. But it hasn't moved for 30 of those minutes.

I have to put this now

'MY DOWNLOAD SPEED HAS JUST REACHED ZERO...............................can any smartass better that?

Yet Thai Visa is quicker than it's been for ages. Maybe somthing IS wrong with the speed test.

• 2 years later...

I wake this thread up again.

I have had Maxnet a couple of years. Ok until a year ago. I pay for 4 mbps and had on the speedtest around 1.5 mbps at time.

But after that it has gone down for every month and the last 4-5 months I be happy to have 200 kbps.

I did call the service for a couple of months and had probably more than 15 of their technicians in my house and they had all different ideas about the problem. The telephoneline was not connected right, wrong router, wrong software in the router and even that I had wrong package, I should get better speed if I downgraded my packet to 3mbps.

I got tired of all that nonsense and did not call them for a while. Then tried again in Nov-Dec but they never even bothered to come to my house.

Called them this morning, she is sending a technician but I doubt anyone will come.

There is a site to Maxnet to analyze the system. http://192.168.1.1

I log in with "admin" and password "TTT".

In "Maintenance" - "Diagnostics" I get this screen:

post-29230-1270537303_thumb.jpg

Ping Primary Domain Name Server --- FAIL

Then I go to "Status" and down on the screen I see this:

post-29230-1270537422_thumb.jpg

Data Rate 1024 kbps for Downstream!

Should it not be 4096 kbps ??

When I got this telephoneline with ADSL 5 years ago they said it was only TT&T that operated in the area. I wonder if I now kan change to TOT ?

I will check that.

:D:):D

I think the problem ist the Line Attenuation. This is the is the loss of signal over distance, or because of a bad cable, or the number of connection points, etc. Simply a strong or weak signal. Do you live in a remote area?

Typical values for LA:

75 dB + out of range for broadband

60-75 dB max speed up to 512kbps

43-60dB max speed up to 1Mbps

0-42dB speed up to 2Mbps+

In respect of the Domain Name Server - did you enter one in the OS for your connection?

One more thing. The 192.168.1.1 is not Maxnet. It is your modem. Those data come from your modem and show the connection quality and other things. In addition you find there all your modem settings.

Edited by Beggar

I think the problem ist the Line Attenuation. This is the is the loss of signal over distance, or because of a bad cable, or the number of connection points, etc. Simply a strong or weak signal. Do you live in a remote area?

Yes, I live about 14 km outside Chiang Rai. But I was in the same place when I clocked 1.5 mbps.

And it is often OK late at night and early in the morning.

Typical values for LA:

75 dB + out of range for broadband

60-75 dB max speed up to 512kbps

43-60dB max speed up to 1Mbps

0-42dB speed up to 2Mbps+

Where can I or how can I find what LA I have ?

In respect of the Domain Name Server - did you enter one in the OS for your connection?

No, I have not changed a thing!

One more thing. The 192.168.1.1 is not Maxnet. It is your modem. Those data come from your modem and show the connection quality and other things. In addition you find there all your modem settings.

I understand the data is coming from my modem or router but this info is also coming with diferent speed. When I have a very slow Internet then the info is coming slow.

You seem to know what you are talking about. What do you say about my "Data Rate" I mentioned in my first post?

:):D:D

indeed your attenuation is way too high, 1 meg is the maximum you can get and be stable.

tell the technician to have a look in your modem using snmp, he'll see the value and dispatch a technician to check your line.

i'm in samui and 3bb customer service is excellent, one phone call in bkk, you talk with a real technician when you ask the customer center to check the value of the line and the next day they're at your door.

if no resolution of the problem, they'll install a new line(shorter) as they continually install new dslam in the streets.

Attenuation is not the main problem here.

At that attenuation he can get much more then 1 Mbps, although looking at his SNR it probably will peak at 3 Mbps.

At my location I have an attenuation of around 44 dB, and have a stable 5 Mbps connection, according to beggar's numbers I shouldn't get more then 1 Mbps!

Looking at his numbers it is clear that the technicians set the DSLAM to connect at 1mbps/512 kbps, which indeed should make your connection stable albeit slower. I think they could easily set it to 2 Mbps/ 512 kbps and keep it rock solid.

In his diagnostics screen I see that the primary DNS failed, however the secondary must have kicked in properly, otherwise the test system could not have resolved the ping to yahoo.com!

In any case, most Thai DNS servers are not the best, better to change over to openDNS or the new google DNS servers.

As some poster said, it might be worth it to go into their service center and check if they have a new DSLAM in your area, they are popping up on every corner of the street now. With the Maxnet/3BB weird thing going on it might be necessary to cancel, your old contract and get a new one, however the new one will likely require a new cable to be pulled to your place, which is a massive plus thing, as most SNR/attenuation problems come from the old crappy phone lines! .

For me the problem is still the Line Attenuation - the signal is too weak. The SNR (Signal to Notice Ratio) is okay. A better SNR can improve a bit the performance if you have a low Line Attenuation but not too much.

The low signal strength can have many reasons - one might be that you are too far away from the next ADSL connection point. That the speed goes up and down is normal since the modem makes for instance a handshake when you connect and determines a reasonable transfer speed at this time. It is not a fixed value what the modem shows. Only if you have a good connection it will show the max speed the provider gives you. This max speed is limited by the provider to the upside. With your contract it should be limited at 4096/512. But this limit is not set in your modem.

Normally you will get about 80 percent of the speed shown in the modem (192.168.1.1) as real transfer speed.

I have Maxnet (3bb) Indy too for 590 and a SNR of 28/23 but a Line Attenuation of 6/3. The connection runs at 4736/608 - got a bit a bonus here. Should be only 4096/512 according my contract. With the Line Attenuation of 6/3 my connection point to the ADSL is about 50 meters away.

What you can do – what other posters said here already - is to talk to Maxnet again and ask if they can provide a better connection with better Attenuation. It might not be possible for them in your area. Then the question is if other providers can provide more. If you know people close to you with ADSL it might be helpful to talk to them about their experience. But be aware that 1 Kilometer difference in distance to the next ADSL connection point will make a big difference already. So no need to talk to anybody too far away from your location.

In respect of the DNS server problem. Look if you still have it (picture Ping Primary Domain Name Server --- FAIL). And let me know what operating system you use. Check that the entry for the DNS server is 202.69.137.137. This is the DNS server of Maxnet.

Hi guys, I appreciate you are engaging in my problem! :)

I called Call Center yesterday and today just when we were leavin our house the Technician called.

Two of them came, checked the line, router and I pointed out the same 2 problems that I had questions about.

After a while one of them left and after half an hour he called the other guy, chatted a little bit and then made a speedtest.

The last 5-6 months I was never over 230 kbps and now it was 2200-2300 kbps!

The techguy came back and he said he connected me to another line that should be better.

I still have the same values for LA etc.

post-29230-1270638460_thumb.jpg

I can see that downloading stuff is 10 times faster but I do not have the feeling that the rest is that much quicker.

The techguys adviced me to get a new router from TT&T ofice in town, will only be 100 baht. He also said they will have a new line, probably the BB3, coming out into our area within "short time". I have heard that for a long time already.

I still have the "problem" that "Ping Primary Domain Server" fails.

I do not know if that is slowing my Internet, but probably.

In the Maxnet Interface setup for LAN it says "DNS Relay" = Use auto discovered DNS server only!

One of the techguys tried to set in specific addresses but it was the same result with the Ping.

Well, Everything is much much better now.

Thanks again!

:D:D:D

This is really magic since your SNR got worse. Perhaps your modem shows wrong values or they really gave you a special connection this time. But anyhow - you got faster now even if you still do not have the speed you pay for - should be 4096/512. The new line might bring it to you :) That "the rest is not much quicker" depends on many factors. The servers you call might be busy for instance. Then the highest line speed will not bring any change in such a case.

Perhaps the new modem will solve your DNS problem since he could not fix it with setting values at the existing one. Let's wait and see.

Edited by Beggar