Are Their Any Boat Owners "captains" As Members?

Jay jones

I have a shipping Company giving me prices to ship my boat to Cambodia/Thailand. They have not told me if they can offload me in International Waters. It will be on deck . I will be flying and registered in USA. I will being flying Quarantine "Yellow" flag. If I come into a Thai Port and report to Customs.....what Visa will I receive..how long can I dock at a marina. Do most ports have full customs offices.

This is what I would do, coming into any of the Bahama chain.

33' Sportcraft. Made in Egg Harbor, NJ. - Twin 350 GM Vortec engines Gas.

Waters of Thailand-- Whats worst Pirates or Weather?

Would I be allowed to navigate the larger rivers in Thailand?

i'm a boat owner and a captain... are you looking for someone to captain your boat? i bought my boat in Samui so i'm not certain of the import laws on boats, but i'm pretty sure that imported marine parts are taxed 70%. are you going to be running a business or is the boat for pleasure. if it is for a business then you have to have a thai register 70% of it in their name and 30% in your name. if it is for pleasure then it can be registered 100% in your name.

as far as navigating goes, you can pretty much go anywhere (in the ocean, not sure about the rivers).

if you are boating to different countries then you need to look up immigration ports and stop there first, then you can go wherever you want once you have stamped in to the particular country.

it sounds like you have some pretty big motors on your boat, you are going to be paying a fortune in petrol if you are planning on going any distance.

let me know if you have any more questions.

oh yeah, i forgot to answer your pirate/weather question.

WEATHER is the biggest concern that i have. my boat is fast enough to get away from any jackass trying something funny with my boat.

in the gulf swells can get as big as 3 meters. i've been in 2 meter swells and was pretty scared. my boat is 27' but it felt like i was in a canoe.

I have a shipping Company giving me prices to ship my boat to Cambodia/Thailand. They have not told me if they can offload me in International Waters. It will be on deck . I will be flying and registered in USA. I will being flying Quarantine "Yellow" flag. If I come into a Thai Port and report to Customs.....what Visa will I receive..how long can I dock at a marina. Do most ports have full customs offices.

This is what I would do, coming into any of the Bahama chain.

33' Sportcraft. Made in Egg Harbor, NJ. - Twin 350 GM Vortec engines Gas.

Waters of Thailand-- Whats worst Pirates or Weather?

Would I be allowed to navigate the larger rivers in Thailand?

May be you can look in the Phuket subforum for the "One day boat trip"

Dan Black(our captain) has imported his boat from Malaysia as far as I know.

He could help you I think.

Good Luck!

Gerd

i'm a boat owner and a captain... are you looking for someone to captain your boat? i bought my boat in Samui so i'm not certain of the import laws on boats, but i'm pretty sure that imported marine parts are taxed 70%. are you going to be running a business or is the boat for pleasure. if it is for a business then you have to have a thai register 70% of it in their name and 30% in your name. if it is for pleasure then it can be registered 100% in your name.

as far as navigating goes, you can pretty much go anywhere (in the ocean, not sure about the rivers).

if you are boating to different countries then you need to look up immigration ports and stop there first, then you can go wherever you want once you have stamped in to the particular country.

it sounds like you have some pretty big motors on your boat, you are going to be paying a fortune in petrol if you are planning on going any distance.

let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the reply Captain;

After three years planing this move to Thailand, I started to get some doubts, after reading the posts for the past 10 months.

If I came I was trying to sell boat and come, but selling a boat with the economy in USA is not that easy. I don't know what part of Thailand I wanted to live and I would have to do Visa Runs. Hate to move and be signing leases with the uncertainty of conditions in Thailand. Had tickets for 4/4/07 but had to put off trip because boat was not sold.

What I want is to get boat close to Thailand/Cambodia/Singapore and make my way as a foreign registered boat flying Stars and Strips, until I reach and clear customs and then fly that countries flag.

If I came into a port, boating for pleasure. How much would Marina slip cost per months or by foot per month?

Petrol in States is (Marine gas w/additive) $4.00 USD, I thought I saw gas in Thailand/Cambodia was $1.00 /$1.20 USD a gallon. How much am I off?

This plan gives me a free home and the ability to move around, until I have an idea where I want to live. It is a great live aboard for one person and one dog.

I understand that I can get a business Visa for $25.00 USD a month in Cambodia and with a small business plan I can bring in equipment (Boat and such) for one year with no tax. And I could cross gulf to Thailand. It would be in range, I believe for petrol?? But would probably be Cambodia Registered which could be a problem?

As far as business, I don't have any interest to run business, but if small group fishing day trips or diving could be considered, but I don't want to Captain boat. If money could be made I am willing to talk to anyone.

First is getting the boat to the area!!!!As cheap as possible!!!

Let me know if you have any ideas... Thanks, JaykJones

As far as business, I don't have any interest to run business, but if small group fishing day trips or diving could be considered, but I don't want to Captain boat. If money could be made I am willing to talk to anyone.

For diving, you will need equipments installed on board. Dont think it can be that viable.

Errrmmmm......father is sort of in the boats engine business. can check with him if you liked. and he does has another business trading in ships...

HI, Any info would be of help!!! Stateside companies for shipping do not reply to small jobs such as this. Ask your Father, if he knows of shipping agent in Singapore or the Gulf area, about rates on shipping from East Coast of USA to that general area. BOAT Fiberglas---33' long --12'Beam --- 36" Draft--- 12,000 to 14,000 lbs. Dry weight.

As soon as I get settled, Boat will go on sale. "Good Price!" Keeping USA Registration should be Tax free unless you get Thai Reg.

If you could help on shipping info , from your end, would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks JAYKJONES

Errrmmmm......father is sort of in the boats engine business. can check with him if you liked. and he does has another business trading in ships...

HI, Any info would be of help!!! Stateside companies for shipping do not reply to small jobs such as this. Ask your Father, if he knows of shipping agent in Singapore or the Gulf area, about rates on shipping from East Coast of USA to that general area. BOAT Fiberglas---33' long --12'Beam --- 36" Draft--- 12,000 to 14,000 lbs. Dry weight.

As soon as I get settled, Boat will go on sale. "Good Price!" Keeping USA Registration should be Tax free unless you get Thai Reg.

If you could help on shipping info , from your end, would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks JAYKJONES

A Thai custom built 30 footer will run about 60-70K USD. The water gets deep here fast so petrol is less of a concern as it would be for someone used to the Gulf of Mexico. (Me) But there really is little for marina options in Thailand. Thailand has a lot of natural barriers to park a boat behind to protect it from the ocean waves. Because of this, and the anti-forieng investment rules.... there are few marinas. I can't imagine parking a 60K boat off of the coast among some home made canoes.... I would be afraid of all the electronics getting ripped off etc.

I want a boat, bad enough to pay for one.... but where would I put it? There is a 24 ft Twin engine Robalo center C. for sale in Phuket. It has been on the market for around 5 years or more.... and I think been sitting in the water the whole time. Price is around 26K usd, I think.

The point is, boats can be purchased here, and it seems at relatively the same price as boats in the US.

Shipping your boat over.... I would not advise.

Thailand is metric, the $1.00-1.20 is per litre so it is more expensive than US. Not sure what grade gas the Jimmy,s like but range and quality is restricted here.

Charter fishing in Cambodia runs at between 10&25 $,s per day per head everything provided so would be hard to turn a profit with those gas guzzlers.

Would also have reservations re the saleability of such a vessel in this country.

As was previously stated,marinas are few and far between and gas pumps on piers probably non existant in either country and having gas delivered in drums carries its own problems of contamination,safety etc.

Apart from all that Thailand and Cambodia would be heaven for a live aboard boatie,plenty of Islands and lee shores etc.

Thailand is metric, the $1.00-1.20 is per litre so it is more expensive than US. Not sure what grade gas the Jimmy,s like but range and quality is restricted here.

Charter fishing in Cambodia runs at between 10&25 $,s per day per head everything provided so would be hard to turn a profit with those gas guzzlers.

Would also have reservations re the saleability of such a vessel in this country.

As was previously stated,marinas are few and far between and gas pumps on piers probably non existant in either country and having gas delivered in drums carries its own problems of contamination,safety etc.

Apart from all that Thailand and Cambodia would be heaven for a live aboard boatie,plenty of Islands and lee shores etc.

I have always felt that Thailand would be a great place to build some marinas.... but without forieng investment, it will never happen

I have always felt that Thailand would be a great place to build some marinas.... but without forieng investment, it will never happen

???

There are a few marinas relative to the number of boats here. 3 in Phuket, 1 in Pattaya, plans for a bunch more. Problem is not with FDI(Ocean marina is good and is Thai, only Yacht Haven is good in Phuket) but rather with demand. And in places like Chalong, the ability to just moor.

Importing your boat will most likely be a roll on flat bed as it is too wide to fit into a container; assuming you are sending it from LA long beach or similar, my guess is that it will be at least $10k USD to ship across. You will also be liable for 7% duty, and some other inspection charges. You would be unable to sell for the same price if it is not Thai registered although I suppose someone could register it somewhere else instead. If you have US rego, then you can stay I think for 90 days at a time. There is some sort of VISA you can get, but cannot operate any business that way.

Once the boat is here, realistically, you will only want to be running Yanmar or Mercury engines; both have servicing here; obviously deisel is miles better than petrol.

You will be somewhat allowed to live on your boat at a marina; cost of berthing will be somewhere in the realm at a guess of 15,000- 20,000 baht a month. You are technically not allowed to run charters and so on, although I know some people who do; expect there to be plenty of competition; why should someone charter from you, when they can go out fishing in a speed boat for the day for a mere 1500b or so. I suppose you might be able to hook something toghether if you stay in one spot long enough, but a few other people doing this too.

I think you may struggle to sell an American boat non branded unless it is a Searay or something people recognises. There are plenty of boats here for sale, and they aren't expensive. With no tax, someone can buy a new 32 footer from about $150k USD that is very nice, so not sure how you would get on with yours. Trailerable is much better, even at 32 feet, as you can store it on land for about 1/3 the cost of in the water; and no need for anti foul etc. However.... hard to live on it then.

Lots of great cruising; my guess would be that Koh Chang is not bad; Koh Samui maybe, OM and Phuket both have lots of charter boats already.

Edited by steveromagnino

Importing your boat will most likely be a roll on flat bed as it is too wide to fit into a container; assuming you are sending it from LA long beach or similar, my guess is that it will be at least $10k USD to ship across.

Just to be pedantic...normally shipped on a cradle. :o

Surf the net there are boat builders here in Thailand, that will build out a custom rig per your requests. Then you know the parts are available, and where to get them. Secondly, you may want a boat more in tune with the waters here rather than where you are now.

If u ship your boat here, you will take a loss, you sell your boat here, you will take a loss, you ship it back to the US you will take a loss.....

Might as well start out new... at least that is my opinion.

I decided not to buy, because my son is only 2, even if I had a boat I would have no one to fish with. Secondly, I don't speak Thai, thirdly I don't know how long I will be here (the gov. would like me out right now) Fourthly, were do I put it, Fifthly, fuel costs

and the list could go on

You can bring your boat in under foreign flag for 6 months at a time. To get it Thai flagged you need a boat broker. I paid about 80,000Bt. You also need to pay 7% tax on the amount you claim your boat is worth. If you claim to low they will put a really high price on it for you. I have a 50footer and the Boat Lagoon marina wanted 20,000Bt per mth plus electricity. You can hire a full time capt. for a little less if you want to moore it

Importing your boat will most likely be a roll on flat bed as it is too wide to fit into a container; assuming you are sending it from LA long beach or similar, my guess is that it will be at least $10k USD to ship across.

Just to be pedantic...normally shipped on a cradle. :o

hahaha GO ETNZ, you little beauties, go you good thing go :-)

Yes to the cradle or trailer; but options are either put the boat on cradle/container into a container or on a flat bed (which is oversized and costs like 3X more). I know, 'cause i brought my own yacht out for Niew Zulund mate.

Sorry for lack of precushun. Good as gold :_)