International travel in Covid times - my experience yesterday.

simon43

Turkey is pretty much wide open.  They never locked down, but do have very high rates of the virus.

Might want to pay attention to the news.  A lady transited in Turkey to Egypt and now has that Omicron variant.  Borders might be closing.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NewGuy said:

Good luck. Turkey is very inexpensive now, the Lira continues to crash.

Only if your a teetotaler

President of the Turkish Monopoly Dealers Platform shares new price list with increases in alcoholic drinks

https://businessturkeytoday.com/president-of-the-turkish-monopoly-dealers-platform-shares-new-price-list-with-increases-in-alcoholic-drinks.html

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Only if your a teetotaler

President of the Turkish Monopoly Dealers Platform shares new price list with increases in alcoholic drinks

https://businessturkeytoday.com/president-of-the-turkish-monopoly-dealers-platform-shares-new-price-list-with-increases-in-alcoholic-drinks.html

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go and live in a Country where the government has a monopoly on the alcohol sales and thus keeps the prices inflated 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Buy some property before it recovers...

My worst buy was a house in Turkey. I bought it on a whim and got a great deal but I shouldn’t have bought it. I never go out, I can’t sell it and it’s just sitting there."

She added: "I bought it for €250,000 about eight years ago and I’d sell it half-price just to offload it. If anyone’s interested, contact me on Twitter if you want to buy me out.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/claire-sweeneys-flogging-house-twitter-5505622

As with anything research research research

Many people have had their fingers burnt buying property in Turkey

Paying 4/5 times more than a Turkish national would pay

or buying in undeveloped that has been promised development that never happens

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The issue was obviously not Turkey. The issue was a pathologically ill nation named Laos. To engage in that much nonsense, is a serious form of illness. And it is simply more evidence that communism never has, and never will work! 

What does that have to do with communism?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Incompetence rears it’s ugly head in developing countries as they think the more paper work the better…

never confuse activity with achievement motto worked well for me during my professional career…

Haha..love it.

Had a colleague in Aviation who had to spend some time in HQ.

Ran into him one day in HQ and he was walking around with a clipboard and pen.

When I enquired what exactly he was doing? "Absolutely nothing .....but If I walk around the office like this, scribbling nonsense onto the clipboard, people think i'm busy" ???? 

35 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Haha..love it.

Had a colleague in Aviation who had to spend some time in HQ.

Ran into him one day in HQ and he was walking around with a clipboard and pen.

When I enquired what exactly he was doing? "Absolutely nothing .....but If I walk around the office like this, scribbling nonsense onto the clipboard, people think i'm busy" ???? 

I used to do the same thing in the British Army. You could walk around the camp all day carrying a clipboard and pen and not get bothered. Looks like you're on a mission.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So, it was a document, issued by the Laos government, which Turkey would have accepted as proof of your vaccination 

(but, as it turns out, they didn't need to see on arrival)?

The same as with any other country - the official vaccination document is usually accepted by the destination country as proof of vaccination.  The Lao document does include English language, but I also added a separate official translation document.  My Lao vaccination card was requested in KL during transit, but no documents were required to enter Turkey ????

• Like 2

I had the same experience in Turkey, any covid related paperwork is completely ignored and not looked at. They could replace the IOs with passport stamping robots.

One does need HES code to travel within Turkey internally, many online booking portals were requiring it, but this can be obtained easily by sending a sms message to a specific number.