Kalim Beach restaurant fined for obstructing traffic

webfact

1638093073_1-org.jpg

Photo: Patong Police Station Facebook

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: A restaurant in Kalim Beach has been fined after being found guilty by police of obstructing traffic by placing a series of traffic cones in a public parking lot.

Attention was brought to the issue following a slew of complaints on various social media platforms that the restaurant, Mermaid de Sea Phuket, had illegally blocked off areas in front of its premises using the cones and that numerous cars, believed to be those of customers, had parked irresponsbily as a result, blocking traffic flow.

Officers from Patong Police station visited the site on Thursday evening (Nov 25) to inspect and confirmed the fine of B1,000 had been issued the following day for breach of Road Traffic Act 2522 stipulating obstruction of traffic is forbidden.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/kalim-beach-restaurant-fined-for-obstructing-traffic-82192.php

pkt..jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-11-29

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

These spaces outside  businesses  should be allocated  automatically to the nearby  businesses. They are needed by staff and customers.

Allocate a space at the front of the shop and it will be a shop 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

If they own the land, but they don't it's public land therefore the public / all the public should have access as needed. 

Very worthy legal point BUT not fair on the people who run the restaurants. It's only entitled foreigners who won't work with the informal system.

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Very worthy legal point BUT not fair on the people who run the restaurants. It's only entitled foreigners who won't work with the informal system.

There we have the nub of the problem. Laws don't apply in the 'informal' system, when it suits whoever is breaking them. Block the highway, block the footpath, the proprietors don't care. Nor do the punters. Double parking is de riguer. And, regretably, people who advocate 'informal' systems only tend to make things worse.

In the town I live you can’t park near the shops because the shopkeepers park there most of the day , if they had 20 minutes maximum parking and enforcement more people would be able to go shopping quickly and their profits would increase , instead of going the to the big c , tesco, makro and so on

4 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

In the town I live you can’t park near the shops because the shopkeepers park there most of the day , if they had 20 minutes maximum parking and enforcement more people would be able to go shopping quickly and their profits would increase , instead of going the to the big c , tesco, makro and so on

So I guess the shopkeepers building their perceived importance / status is more important than making it convenient for shoppers to park near their shop, buy stuff and bring revenue to the shops. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Ahh the informal system - the 'make your own rules' according to what makes you happy, screw the rest and ignore the rights of the rest. What a good idea.

'entitled foreigners' is not a valid point; people, all people, local/visitors/residents have an absolute right to object when their legal rights are violated. 

Edited by scorecard

17 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

There we have the nub of the problem. Laws don't apply in the 'informal' system, when it suits whoever is breaking them. Block the highway, block the footpath, the proprietors don't care. Nor do the punters. Double parking is de riguer. And, regretably, people who advocate 'informal' systems only tend to make things worse.

'informal system' - interesting words, but the reality is that 'informal systems' are just a mask over 'I want what I want and I'm entitled to have whatever I want and screw the rights of the rest'.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:51 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

These spaces outside  businesses  should be allocated  automatically to the nearby  businesses. They are needed by staff and customers.

If it is public land with public parking it's not for the business privately. Simple.