RT-PCR test requirement on arrival in Thailand to remain in place

snoop1130

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Makes perfect sense, the PCR test is more accurate than the ATK test...

Not much you can do about illegals aided and abetted by smugglers they will slip though the net, but you can test at points of entry.

My PCR-test was stated as > 97.5% accurate. So yes, reliable. The fact is, I got two at departure and arrival, spaced by less than 48 hours. Now that is an expensive joke, because if I was 97.5% negative at departure, my only chance to show up positive was to catch it during the flight and then breed the virus to a detectable level within 24 hours. I think that's improbable.

Either you quarantine me for at least a few days and PCR me at the end, or you let me go, stick me with some tracking device and test me again after a few days.

btw: in the space of 20 days I got 3 PCR and 2 ATK. While surrounded by general population with no tests whatsoever.

• Like 2

Luckily, they don’t do any anal swab tests like the CCP did in the beginning of the pandemic, as they claim it gives a more accurate result for the infection; that would be a mental trauma for the travelers.

The way I look at it is that all these tests and requirements are new ways of making money for those are in the power.

As we can see most of the time, if one or two people were tested positive in a flight but the rest are tested negative, so it doesn’t mean that the infected person is dangerous or can spread the virus, especially with limited direct contact, social distancing and masks.

However there are mental torture for everyone who tested negative to do the quarantine and extra tests make sure you are free from C19 with their own cost.

I was wondering how long all are going to last. Is this what our future is going to be like every time a new variant pops up?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nigeone said:

Just in Portugal for a holiday would have normally spent in Thailand . Usually for 1 month but sadly zero chance of me going under the current rules and regime . Just friends going to see with no g/f there as 

been there done that not to be repeated. Cant say I dont miss my time in Thailand but arrived in Portugal for 4 weeks , no test on arrival , need masks walking around but all bars / restaurants fully open with zero restrictions. Ohh and wine is mega cheap and very good which is a big bonus!. Yes a little bit dearer than Thailand but infrastructure and lack of scams make up for that. Sad really but until they sort out all the issues I wont be back anytime soon .

Make the most of it. Portugal was added and then taken off the red list twice by UK. Won't be long before it has its turn to be added once again. Nowhere can be truly classed as a safe haven for easy travel now.

• Like 1

You gotta admit if a guy travels to see a girl he met online that's true love. If this guy has to back up his estimates by backing it with $. They think the numbers are going to go up? I bet there won't be as many entries in Dec as November.  Will he take that bet?

17 hours ago, connda said:

I have friends who have been coming here for years for full one month vacations. 
I told my friends the situation on the ground here regarding all the paperwork, tests, shots, and restrictions. 
Their return to Thailand this year is a no-go.  They aren't coming back until sanity returns - if it ever returns.  They are from the US and will head to Mexico for the vacation they usually take in Thailand. 

And there you have it. 

ive been to mexico id rather have all the hastle of getting into thailand ..thanks 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously why the UK has gone back to PCR testing.

My brother and his wife were £380 for their PCR tests in the UK, I was 2700 baht in Bangkok.

Some just cannot see past that xenophobic perception.

Yes, 2700 baht seems far too expensive for some. 

• Like 1

The Thai visa requirements are still to cumbersome and confusing.

I just got back from a three week vacation to Portugal.

1 RTPCR to leave Seattle.  $175 at the airport.
1 RT Antigen to leave Amsterdam.  Euros 58 at the airport.

Nothing on arrival into Porto.   Traveled freely around Portugal, just had to use a mask.

1 RT Antigen to leave Porto.  Euros 35 at the Airport.

1 RT Antigen to leave Amsterdam.  Euro 58 at the airport. 

I traveled freely around Amsterdam and Porto with only a mask required.  Drank a lot of great wine, ate a lot of great food chased a lot of great ladies, though they tend to have large backsides here.

English was spoken everywhere.  
Police were polite and helpful.  

Never got charged double for being a foreigner.

Beaches were clean and nobody tried to charge me for using the beach.

As well found out there is a five year program for permanent residency.

I can own a home here.

Great mass transit systems that are clean.

Not sure if I’ll ever go back to Thailand.  Maybe Vietnam when it opens, but I had a blast in Portugal and it was overall, much more affordable than a similar trip tonThailand would have been.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, connda said:

That's just an excuse.  It is a cash cow and highly profitable as tourists are forced to take RT-PCR tests with extremely inflated price tags.  Which is another reason Covid never ever goes away. 
It is way too lucrative. 

A few million from PCR tests v. tens of billions from lost tourism. Duh!

• Sad 2

I have had a couple of older friends who are retired that have gone to Thailand to stay until

late March, and maybe early April if they get delayed by what ever is going on with COVID at

that time.  A few more may go there if the travel conditions do not change before they leave, 

as they plan to stay until April 2022 as well. I am not rich enough to go to Thailand for 4

or 5 months, so I will be waiting until late 2022 before heading of to anywhere

tropical again.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raccos21 said:

Luckily, they don’t do any anal swab tests like the CCP did in the beginning of the pandemic, as they claim it gives a more accurate result for the infection; that would be a mental trauma for the travelers.

The way I look at it is that all these tests and requirements are new ways of making money for those are in the power.

As we can see most of the time, if one or two people were tested positive in a flight but the rest are tested negative, so it doesn’t mean that the infected person is dangerous or can spread the virus, especially with limited direct contact, social distancing and masks.

However there are mental torture for everyone who tested negative to do the quarantine and extra tests make sure you are free from C19 with their own cost.

I was wondering how long all are going to last. Is this what our future is going to be like every time a new variant pops up?

Anything to do with doctors putting things up your bum is always a ordeal, I was having my temperature taken once  and the doctor said in my ear  mercury in Uranus, I said I'm not into astrology doc, he said neither am i,  I've snapped the thermometer.. 

A few quick questions for foreigners who have recently returned to Thailand through Suvarnabhumi.

- On arrival did you have an opportunity to use an ATM before getting into the hotel transport?

- If so, after perhaps 6, 12, 18 months of non use did your ATM card still work?

Or was it necessary to generate a new 6 digit password?

- If needed, did you have an opportunity to visit a foreign exchange booth at the airport?

- If so, did they readily accept your foreign cash?

- Or were they very selective about what cash to accept?

- Did they spray/disinfect the currency notes accepted? 

Please share, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 7700 said:

The Thai visa requirements are still to cumbersome and confusing.

I just got back from a three week vacation to Portugal.

1 RTPCR to leave Seattle.  $175 at the airport.
1 RT Antigen to leave Amsterdam.  Euros 58 at the airport.

Nothing on arrival into Porto.   Traveled freely around Portugal, just had to use a mask.

1 RT Antigen to leave Porto.  Euros 35 at the Airport.

1 RT Antigen to leave Amsterdam.  Euro 58 at the airport. 

I traveled freely around Amsterdam and Porto with only a mask required.  Drank a lot of great wine, ate a lot of great food chased a lot of great ladies, though they tend to have large backsides here.

English was spoken everywhere.  
Police were polite and helpful.  

Never got charged double for being a foreigner.

Beaches were clean and nobody tried to charge me for using the beach.

As well found out there is a five year program for permanent residency.

I can own a home here.

Great mass transit systems that are clean.

Not sure if I’ll ever go back to Thailand.  Maybe Vietnam when it opens, but I had a blast in Portugal and it was overall, much more affordable than a similar trip tonThailand would have been.

Portugal is requiring PCR or antigen test before arrival from today:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1528258/portugal-travel-rules-covid-test-restrictions-british-tourists

Thailand's appeal is during the northern winter. Try to get sunburned now in Portugal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goatfarmer said:

Especially for a family of four or more plus insurance. The whole package adds more than $1000 to the holiday bill.  

Yes, sadly will be the cost of travelling anywhere in the future and as  has already been highlighted Thailand is not one of the most expensive. 

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Makes perfect sense, the PCR test is more accurate than the ATK test...

Not much you can do about illegals aided and abetted by smugglers they will slip though the net, but you can test at points of entry.

The PCR test is not accurate. It should never be used as a diagnostic tool, so said it's inventor Nobel Prize winner Karry Mullis (check it out, he said this!). The amplification of your samples from throat and nose can be cranked up to higher cycles (over 25)  by unwitting (or unscrupulous) medical personel to achieve a false positive result. Happens all the time, and Governments are surely aware of this. Insist that you know what cycle of amplification will be used in any PCR test you are forced to take. If they won't say, either ask to see a Supervisor or Chief Medical Officer or don't take it and walk away and don't pay anything. It's a scam globally, and like donkeys people accept it without protest! Quite mad! In the USA it has been officially said by medical authorities the PCR test is "not fit for purpose" and it is being withdrawn this month. So why does the farce of using it all over the world continue if it is subject to being used to bump up 'cases' to justify lockdowns or other abusive political ends?! WE have voices....use them to expose this ridiculous thing.

Edited by Luton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

Especially for a family of four or more plus insurance. The whole package adds more than $1000 to the holiday bill.  

From a couple of posts previous.

1 RTPCR to leave Seattle.  $175 at the airport. (approx 6,000 baht.)

A lot cheaper to be tested in Thailand than the US or UK, I was about 4,000 baht in UK.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously why the UK has gone back to PCR testing.

My brother and his wife were £380 for their PCR tests in the UK, I was 2700 baht in Bangkok.

Some just cannot see past that xenophobic perception.

Did that include a meal at Salt Bae's? We just paid £160 for both of ours.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:21 PM, zzzzz said:

I think all the expats wanting to return have already done so, same goes for returning thai's.
expect lower than expected arrival numbers soon.

Maybe for some, I work outside Thailand and have to travel back on a regular basis so maximum of 1 night is fantastic and it may not even be that. I certainly am not the only expat who lives in Thailand but works overseas.

But I agree the numbers may well fall going forward, I hope not but unless people can drink when they get here and not worry about 2 weeks in hospital if they test positive with no symptoms its inevitable.

• Like 2