RT-PCR test requirement on arrival in Thailand to remain in place

snoop1130

With all the ups and downs, we have cancelled out holiday in Hua Hin for February, with the extra costs of hotel in Bangkok, insurance and the likes it put about £500 pounds on the holiday for the 2 of us, and there is just so much the pensions can pay out. No this year is off. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:39 PM, connda said:

Which is another reason Covid never ever goes away. 
It is way too lucrative. 

The Covid Industrial complex is far too lucrative to go away anytime soon and maybe never. Vaccines, boosters, masks, hand sanitizer, temperature check points, Covid tests... Each one of those is a huge money maker with vaccines at the top of the heap. 

Plus none of these doctors or health bureaucrats who have become stars will want to go back to anonymity. 

The hysteria has also enabled a staggering amount of money worldwide to be transfered from the masses to the billionaires and these are the people who really call the shots. 

• Like 2

If one thinks tests after arrival make sense, then it's much better to stay with PCR.

1. The process pick up - PCR in hotel - go runs quite smoothly

2. The false rate (positive and negative) of Antigen tests ar MUCH higher than with PCR. Get a false positive test, the minimum what must happen is a re-check with PCR.

3. As soon as arrivals get more, it is an illusion to think, the Antigen test could be made in the airport without causing chaos.

And the in many threads often repeated "the tourists won't come"? We will see. I think, they will and the recovery will be faster than many expect. I am only one week back and already see the change.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lanng khao said:

Anything to do with doctors putting things up your bum is always a ordeal, I was having my temperature taken once  and the doctor said in my ear  mercury in Uranus, I said I'm not into astrology doc, he said neither am i,  I've snapped the thermometer.. 

Medical terminology: RT-PCR-LB (Ladyboy)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Do you have any evidence/data etc., for your assumption, especially in regard to foreigners?

Well it’s a bit obvious , or not ? If you’re a real expat you could have got back into Thailand a while ago. There’s been Sandbox for 2 months, now the test and go. If I had a home there, or lived there, I’d have been back at the first opportunity. If you’re Thai, they could come back any time, ok , with quarantine, why not, that’s the way things work now. I would have come sooner too, snowbird that I am, but failure to get an evisa from a lazy embassy is holding me back. Now at least I know the new Thai Pass requirements, I’m preparing all the docs ready to go . I’ll come for’2 months instead of three because the evisa is a load of trouble and delays. 

12 hours ago, nomadinuk said:

Make the most of it. Portugal was added and then taken off the red list twice by UK. Won't be long before it has its turn to be added once again. Nowhere can be truly classed as a safe haven for easy travel now.

Heading home to UK then IOM on friday so should be fine. They actually have been very impressive in Portugal and arrival at airport very efficent with loads of people to check paperwork etc. Suitcase available very quickly and on my way . Helped to have QR code and vacination paperwork ready but all in all very smooth , quick operation. Another plus when you think of Swampy ! 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 11:17 PM, snoop1130 said:

The RT-PCR COVID-19 test requirement upon arrival in Thailand will remain in place in light of the emergence of the new “Omicron” COVID-19 variant in many countries, the Thai cabinet announced today (Tuesday). This decision negates the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration’s announcement, issued last week, saying that antigen tests will be used from December 16th.

Well my wife & I were waiting for the next step of dropping all tests on arrival with tests only before departing home like most countries.

I guess it will be another year of passing up our return to our Thai home ????

Hopefully someday Thailand will realize they went thru 2019 & 2020 basically the worst years of covid with basically no testing etc at all.

Their world did not end but as they see now things are ending daily for many of their citizens

On 11/30/2021 at 12:45 AM, Kadilo said:

Makes sense and no big deal to spend a night in a hotel after travelling for most. 

True but not the point for most IMHO

The point is your spinning the wheel of Thai uncertainty

You left your country with a Neg Test

You arrive in Thailand & maybe their test say positive...14 night hospital

You arrive in Thailand & although you test negative the guy who sat next to you in plane or van tests positive..10 nights quarantine hotel...your expense as likely not covered by any insurance

Lastly this...yes most including us spend a night in Hotel when transiting from BK to Don Mueang before heading to our home upcountry

But it is our choice of hotel not some overpriced AQ hotel with reduced services

But we do agree it is "No Big Deal" our house can remain empty there another year as we have a sister next door to clean it every month.

But we do miss our family there & our niece just had a daughter that we would like to see

Edited by meechai
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, meechai said:

True but not the point for most IMHO

The point is your spinning the wheel of Thai uncertainty

You left your country with a Neg Test

You arrive in Thailand & maybe their test say positive...14 night hospital

You arrive in Thailand & although you test negative the guy who sat next to you in plane or van tests positive..10 nights quarantine hotel...your expense as likely not covered by any insurance

Lastly this...yes most including us spend a night in Hotel when transiting from BK to Don Mueang before heading to our home upcountry

But it is our choice of hotel not some overpriced AQ hotel with reduced services

But we do agree it is "No Big Deal" our house can remain empty there another year as we have a sister next door to clean it every month.

But we do miss our family there & our niece just had a daughter that we would like to see

0.1% of visitors thus far have tested positive on arrival in AQ, and it’s not that expensive as has been illustrated by some who have already arrived. 

If you want to see and miss them that much you would do. 

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Well it’s a bit obvious , or not ? If you’re a real expat you could have got back into Thailand a while ago. There’s been Sandbox for 2 months, now the test and go. If I had a home there, or lived there, I’d have been back at the first opportunity. If you’re Thai, they could come back any time, ok , with quarantine, why not, that’s the way things work now. I would have come sooner too, snowbird that I am, but failure to get an evisa from a lazy embassy is holding me back. Now at least I know the new Thai Pass requirements, I’m preparing all the docs ready to go . I’ll come for’2 months instead of three because the evisa is a load of trouble and delays. 

So you've covered all the possibilities.

But perhaps you haven't.

The reality is that there are foreigners who pre-covid lived in LOS with family, for work, and other situations who left for a short period; trip home because of family sickness, work meeting in the region and more who couldn't get back because of flight cancellations etc., and this hit at a time when their finances weren't strong, mortgage payments, staff salaries, school fees etc. Some of these guys are still struggling to keep food on the table for family in LOS and hoping they can save enough to get back soon. 

Please don't be so quick to be sure you know everything.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:44 PM, connda said:

They are from the US and will head to Mexico for the vacation they usually take in Thailand. 

I only hope for their sakes that they don't end up with bullets in their heads, courtesy of some drug cartel or other!

On 12/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, sandyf said:

Obviously why the UK has gone back to PCR testing.

My brother and his wife were £380 for their PCR tests in the UK, I was 2700 baht in Bangkok.

Some just cannot see past that xenophobic perception.

Yes, there seems to be an underlying tone on this thread that Thailand - and Thailand alone - is to be demonised for its PCR testing requirement. Whereas the UK and other countries who now prescribe a similar requirement are presumably, on the other hand, to be fulsomely and ecstatically praised to the very highest heavens as being the best thing since sliced bread in COVID-19 control, purely on the grounds that they are not called Thailand!

• Thanks 2

Friend of mine arrived last night from Dubai, took PCR at airport, was called this morning, negative, he hit the bricks in Bangkok this afternoon............easy peasy when you have the Thailand Pass, and he did it all on-line from West Africa.   His only complaint was having to buy the Thai Insurance since he has adequate insurance from US.      Peace

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 5:26 PM, Guemlum said:

Did that include a meal at Salt Bae's? We just paid £160 for both of ours.

In the UK PCR tests are a bit of a postcode lottery.

I was tested at Heathrow and including the night in the Travelodge with buffet breakfast it was a lot cheaper than locally, which would have been around what you paid for 2.

My brother lives in NE Scotland, had to travel 60 miles as well as pay through the nose.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:28 AM, asiasurfer said:

Forget about regular tourists then. The ones who are coming will be returning Expats / Business folks or some desperate guys who met a Thai girl online and are now embarking on that cumbersome journey for the sake of a date. 

That's me cancelled for my four months in January. 

Back to sunny Spain it is.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:56 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Friend of mine arrived last night from Dubai, took PCR at airport, was called this morning, negative, he hit the bricks in Bangkok this afternoon............easy peasy when you have the Thailand Pass, and he did it all on-line from West Africa.   His only complaint was having to buy the Thai Insurance since he has adequate insurance from US.      Peace

Goes without saying that would prefer to keep the insurance scams and profits within their own select groups. 

That base ideals and reasoning behind all of the mix-n-match entry/reopening programs of the last year or so. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 6:58 PM, OJAS said:

Yes, there seems to be an underlying tone on this thread that Thailand - and Thailand alone - is to be demonised for its PCR testing requirement. Whereas the UK and other countries who now prescribe a similar requirement are presumably, on the other hand, to be fulsomely and ecstatically praised to the very highest heavens as being the best thing since sliced bread in COVID-19 control, purely on the grounds that they are not called Thailand!

In US most States now will require un-vaxed folks that work to be tested every week while on the job, at. their own expense............for whatever reason they decide not to be vaccinated that will be a monetary pull out of their wallets they should consider.   Their reasons are theirs alone, I have no say in any of that - but I am triple vaxed, and if they call me tomorrow to take a fourth - I will be first in line.

Got Shingle's, Pneumonia, Flu and Covid vaccinations....all Old Farts diseases......discover another disease and bring it on, slip me the juice Doc.  Vaccination that is. ???? ???? ???? ????

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Soyboy said:

For those who have done their test & go - how long did the result take to come back?

My friend took it in afternoon on arrival 29 Nov, and was called next morning saying he was good to go and he hit the bricks in Bangkok at noon............Peace