Thai Visa Flexibility

I am due in Thailand on Thai Airways on the 9th Dec (got all my documents sorted) on a tourist visa from UK (30 day visa on arrival).

I am due to leave Thailand on the 31st Dec.

If I am in Thailand and things change in the UK and they introduce quarantine, am I am able to change my flight (I think there is a fee for a change) and would I be able to extend my Thai visa, if so how long for? I will have my work laptop so I will be able to work in Thailand for a bit - I may as well wait it out and hope quarantine is removed (if it happens).

If all flights are cancelled then I guess there isn't much I can do with regards to my visa. What do you think?

I have already spoken to my insurance broker and he said insurance will be extended easily enough.

7 hours ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Thanks. Presumably this is relatively easy to obtain. I think I have done it before at Chaeng Watthana.

I can't go beyond 60 days though can I? That would involve leaving Thailand and coming back in again.

The 30 day extension would be done at the temporary office at Muang Thong Thani at this time.

At this time you can apply a 60 day covid 19 extension until January 25th. They will want the 30 day extension done first.

• Like 1

Great. Thanks very much. Does that mean I could do something similar to the following:

For example: Arrive on 9th Dec - extend on 27th Dec for 30 days - extend for 60 days on 23rd Jan - go home before the 60 day expiry ends?

I am guessing I could use onewayfly to get a reservation as well.

14 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

For example: Arrive on 9th Dec - extend on 27th Dec for 30 days - extend for 60 days on 23rd Jan - go home before the 60 day expiry ends?

Yes and Yes.

Both will be done at Muang Thong Thani.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

Great. Thanks very much. Does that mean I could do something similar to the following:

You arrive Dec 9.

At airport they give you "admitted until " . That would be 30 days so approx Jan 9.

Prior to that date you apply for extension (30 days). That extends your stay untill approx Feb 9.

You could obtain covid extension prior to Jan 25. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

That is great news. Thanks for the help.

Is there a way of not losing money (or not as much money) on my flight back to the UK. I am guessing I would have to change it to a specific date every time I made the change to my visa or could I try to put the flight on hold?

It is with Thai Airways and is an economy saver ticket I think.

13 minutes ago, WalsallRobbo said:

That is great thanks. I will look into that. Would it work with my existing ticket (I guess not)?

It wouldn't work if I didn't have an existing ticket for 31st Dec - would it?

But it would help me with getting a visa and not having to keep buying a new ticket.

The onward flight will need to be shown to airline. It would be dated prior to 30 of boarding.

The extension you obtain ~<30 days after arrival will not require any outbound flight.

For the covid extension you may require one.

That seems unclear. You can deal with that late January. 

Thanks DrJack. I presume it would still mean that I have to pay to amend my existing return ticket though (or I could just not use it all) as there is no option to leave it on hold as far I am aware. If I have to change it then I have to select a specific date and pay a change fee (I presume).

It helps with the visa though. Thanks very much