D-Day today for points system: Taxis get just 30 points for DUI, 20 for not using meter or refusing fares

webfact

The RTP earn between 60,000 to 96,000 baht per year. 75 percent make less than 87,000 baht.

That is between 3,000 to 4,800 Canadian Dollars, a bit less in USA dollars. Would any of you posters

work any harder for that kind of a wage?  I did not think so, now you know why most police

try to get a bit of tea money to help them with their lives. I admire most of the Thai drivers

who get through a year without having an accident, I will not drive anywhere but in Hua Hin.

Maybe in Jomtien beach area of Pattaya as I know where I have to travel and the drivers are

not too aggressive there as well. For a developing country the driving is likely better than some other places in Asia or India.

I hope the point system works out for the police department. Anything to improve the driving would be a good thing.

Having less than 4 people on a motorcycle, or no people in the back of a pickup truck would be nicer than what

I have seen in my travels around Thailand.

• Confused 1

This is a start, if not a perfect start. I understand the government may not ban a driver on first offence because, I believe, they recognize these guys will have no income if they can't drive due to a ban. It is like giving them a chance to rectify their behaviour.

However, many foreigners will keep mentioning what their countries are better and what they would do. Are the two situations exactly the same?

Taking someone's driving licence in Europe would not mean a family will starve. It won't mean increased suicide. Yes, if a Thai taxi drive kills people while drunk he will go to prison, a horrible place in Thailand. In Europe, prison is to be sniffed at compared to Thailand.

This doesn't mean deducting 30 points has no use. It means they know how serious the government is. 

On 12/1/2021 at 3:41 PM, tomacht8 said:

20 pts:  taking intoxicating substances while driving.

30 pts: driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. 

Where is the difference?

One's actively consuming whilst driving (beer in hand when navigating the traffic). The other is having actively consumed drugs before setting out and engaging in driving etc (drinking with friends, getting drunk, then going off to drive the taxi).

On 12/1/2021 at 2:14 AM, BusyB said:

It's like they really just do not care or have absolutely no grasp of how bad things really are. And even worse, how much better they could be for everyone involved - especially the innocent victims.

Actually i think allot do, but the corruption is so imbedded it's unfixable until the government really gets serious about corruption. 

• Like 2

In Australia, you get 12 points, no way to get them back. Thailand, as usual, is a joke.
The demerit points allocated to the offence can vary anywhere from 1 to 7, depending on the type of offence, except during long weekends and holiday seasons when the allocated demerit points for some offences is doubled.
Demerit points expire three years from the date of the offence unless you accrue 12 or more points (four or eight in the case of a novice driver) within a three-year period.

Edited by Aussie999
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 7:22 AM, Aussie999 said:

In Australia, you get 12 points, no way to get them back. Thailand, as usual, is a joke.
The demerit points allocated to the offence can vary anywhere from 1 to 7, depending on the type of offence, except during long weekends and holiday seasons when the allocated demerit points for some offences is doubled.
Demerit points expire three years from the date of the offence unless you accrue 12 or more points (four or eight in the case of a novice driver) within a three-year period.

in he Uk it is an AUTOMATIC BAN and a big fine!!!!

• Like 1