Pattaya investment club?

15 minutes ago, bbko said:

There's a Thailand Investment Club on Facebook but it looks like it's oriented for Thais, maybe start up a Expat/farang Facebook page and see what you get.

I'm retired but still interested in investing.

https://www.facebook.com/ThInvestForum/

I don't want to go the online route.

There is too much garbage to be found online, and it takes way too long to find out about how competent people are.

I have difficulty finding the right information online, most is useless.

Some reports I think have just the right level of detail for keeping informed about global markets are:

https://www.troweprice.com/personal-investing/resources/insights/global-markets-weekly-update.html

https://ihsmarkit.com/research-analysis/weekly-global-market-summary-highlights-november-29-2021.html

(for example, but they are clearly too light on EMEA and commodities)

I'd really like to keep it between a small group of people, probably have a CLOSED discussion group on facebook / line / whatsapp whatever and to regularly meet, talk about things, and bring tablets or laptops to show some graphs or data to the others.

There is absolutely no point in being fed the usual technical analysis BS with their trend lines and resistances and whatever.

taking a random position and setting a trailing stop works just as well.

Edited by tgw
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tgw said:

I googled, but the search turned up no useful leads.

It seems there is no such thing as a Pattaya investment club.

really? in Pattaya? where every fraudsters on the planet reside? ????

They would recommend bitcoins on YT these days, but you don't want to start an investment club in Pattaya, or follow one, you will likely be ripped-off. I think there was one about 20 years ago, and everyone lost their money ????

there is a Thai website you could use for Thai stock news, but if you are looking at global news, then go online with Bloomberg

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tgw said:

I'd really like to keep it between a small group of people, probably have a CLOSED discussion group on facebook / line / whatsapp whatever and to regularly meet, talk about things, and bring tablets or laptops to show some graphs or data to the others.

are you looking for Thai stocks? there is a small online community of expat investors sharing investment resources in HK, Sing, Thai, and Global ETFs investment tips,

but it was very very boring eventually, so wouldn't recommend it. It has about 20 very active members.

2 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

really? in Pattaya? where every fraudsters on the planet reside? ????

They would recommend bitcoins on YT these days, but you don't want to start an investment club in Pattaya, or follow one, you will likely be ripped-off. I think there was one about 20 years ago, and everyone lost their money ????

there is a Thai website you could use for Thai stock news, but if you are looking at global news, then go online with Bloomberg

whatever! I would say with over 30 golf courses, it's a golfer's paradise ????

the "club" would just be about exchanging information. no investment required or even requested!

no social media, no YT no nothing, no "bitcoin advice".

sadly, Bloomberg is not really usable, because their news aren't broad enough, not detailed enough, not filtered in the right way.

3 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

are you looking for Thai stocks? there is a small online community of expat investors sharing investment resources in HK, Sing, Thai, and Global ETFs investment tips,

but it was very very boring eventually, so wouldn't recommend it. It has about 20 very active members.

Thai stocks could be interesting to have a look at if trading ideas can be identified.

Again "online community" is not what I'm looking for.

and global ETF aren't interesting for position trading.

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

Thai stocks could be interesting to have a look at if trading ideas can be identified.

Again "online community" is not what I'm looking for.

and global ETF aren't interesting for position trading.

so you are looking for a "trading" club? everything is done "online" these days, simply because it's more convenient

nobody meet over beers in some dive in Pattaya and discuss investment moves, we used to do that in the 90s in Pattaya between "show girls", and it was all for show, and usually ended up in heated arguments or silly bets that went wrong, all completely drunk or high ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

so you are looking for a "trading" club? everything is done "online" these days, simply because it's more convenient

nobody meet over beers in some dive in Pattaya and discuss investment moves, we used to do that in the 90s in Pattaya between "show girls", and it was all for show, and usually ended up in heated arguments or silly bets that went wrong, all completely drunk or high ????

hahaha - these were the times !

it's about position trading - investment horizon is between a few days up to months.

just looking for a handful of likeminded guys (or gals as improbable as it might be)

Edited by tgw

7 minutes ago, tgw said:

hahaha - these were the times !

it's about position trading - investment horizon is between a few days up to months.

just looking for a handful of likeminded guys (or gals as improbable as it might be)

looks like you came 2 decades too late for that, the new crowd is not interested, they only want to buy cryptos ????

In the 90s, when Pattaya expats was a small community, it was easy to meet those kind of people, usually bored oil workers or maritime merchant officers looking for ways to blow their cash in silly but interesting investment ideas after they had too many "short time" in the day, and needed a new kind of distraction ????

sorry, wrong century ????

Edited by GrandPapillon

Just now, tgw said:

cypto is not investing, sorry.

technically buying stocks is not either, it's just trading and speculating, above all with your time horizon is less than 3 months

but cryptos is where all the actions is for people to "meet" over beers ????

personally, I hate cryptos with a passion, it's a scam.

I like to trade "Futures" though for the thrill ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

technically buying stocks is not either, it's just trading and speculating, above all with your time horizon is less than 3 months

but cryptos is where all the actions is for people to "meet" over beers ????

personally, I hate cryptos with a passion, it's a scam.

I like to trade "Futures" though for the thrill ????

time horizon is not necessarily less than 3 months... trends will be followed as long as they last. my last trend was AFX.DE , got into it in mid-2017, unloaded yesterday with approx. 400% profit.

now I have no open positions left, I'm just slightly long USDEUR and short EURCHF

few are people who have futures trading access. most people mean they trade forwards, futures certificates or CFD instead of futures.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GrandPapillon said:

if you trade currencies, that will narrow your possible crowd. Very hot back in 2005/2008 but all the expat amateurs got burned, so they jumped to Cryptos instead ????

aaah, that will go well... not.

9 minutes ago, tgw said:

few are people who have futures trading access. most people mean they trade forwards, futures certificates or CFD instead of futures.

individual trading amateurs wouldn't get access to Futures for compliance reasons, obviously, the leverage is high and you need to be there glued at your screen when you trade. Not for snowflakes ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tgw said:

Does anyone know a good source for quality commentary on "global markets weekly report" that includes not only global stocks and bonds but also global commodities and forex ?

I suppose you need to start by defining "quality commentary".  There are unlimited sources, someone invented the internet, didn't they?   Those who do not know where to find investment commentary probably shouldn't be anywhere near an "investment club". 

2 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

individual trading amateurs wouldn't get access to Futures for compliance reasons, obviously, the leverage is high and you need to be there glued at your screen when you trade. Not for snowflakes ????

ah the good old SPX with 250k size or the FDAX with 100k DM ... these were the times !   but they were quick enough to introduce e-minis for the snowflakes ????  1997 ... such a long time ago already ????

11 minutes ago, bbko said:

Sounds like a good excuse to tell the the wives, "Tilac, I'm going to my investment meeting", comes back 4 hours later smelling of alcohol other scents...555. 

or bruise on your face for getting into a fight or not paying off an unwinnable bet ????

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I suppose you need to start by defining "quality commentary".  There are unlimited sources, someone invented the internet, didn't they?   Those who do not know where to find investment commentary probably shouldn't be anywhere near an "investment club". 

lol, thanks for the salt!

I guess I was asking more about commentary that contains the kind of info I'm looking for. it's a question of filtering, right level of details, broadness of information, etc. and are not strutting useless technical analysis or simply stuttering useless figures.
I linked two that I think are interesting.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tgw said:

ah the good old SPX with 250k size or the FDAX with 100k DM ... these were the times !   but they were quick enough to introduce e-minis for the snowflakes ????  1997 ... such a long time ago already ????

they have e-micro now, only 12,000 USD a contract instead of 75,000 USD for the e-mini ????

with the leverage, you could only pay 5% of that now,

Edited by GrandPapillon