i know why people come to thailand

yogi yogi

i had him check brakes on the road,  the other thais on street were laughing when he was burning rubber when braking hard,  ,,,,,,,,,,all the while im giving him the thumbs up...... to please my need to stopwith good brakes. in my home country that would be a liability issue , to help me with brakes........ 

Edited by yogi yogi
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

When I used to commute to work on my Supercub, I would get it serviced at the local Honda dealer - drop in, while you wait, 10 minutes and 120 THB.

Probably not the most thorough service, but the Supercub is indestructible anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

At the top of my

road there are two Dentist practices, if you go when they are opening

you are seen right away.

This means they are relatively expensive (compared to other dentists in Thailand).

There are usually two kinds of business models in Thai clinics:

- Charge a lot, and make a living from three patients a day

- Be cheap and have customers queuing

The dentist to which I normally go belongs in the second category, and usually I need to wait a week or so for an appointment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

This means they are relatively expensive (compared to other dentists in Thailand).

There are usually two kinds of business models in Thai clinics:

- Charge a lot, and make a living from three patients a day

- Be cheap and have customers queuing

The dentist to which I normally go belongs in the second category, and usually I need to wait a week or so for an appointment.

dentists in usa if they are good are very expensive. i go to a dentist in bkk he has a phd.  he is fantastic.  office is small and not so special but his service is fair.   in thailand free for check up in usa 120 dollars.  in thailand a gold crown is about 800 bucks in usa almost twice that amount.  their are good dentists here u just have to search .................

4 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

dentists in usa if they are good are very expensive. i go to a dentist in bkk he has a phd.  he is fantastic.  office is small and not so special but his service is fair.   in thailand free for check up in usa 120 dollars.  in thailand a gold crown is about 800 bucks in usa almost twice that amount.  their are good dentists here u just have to search .................

In the USA everything medical related is a ripoff, that's no secret.

Stuff like crowns, inlays etc. in Thailand cost more than in Germany, just way overpriced here considering that most of the cost is for labor and labor is so much cheaper here, so this is stuff I get done when I'm in Germany.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

In the USA pre-emptive dentistry [unnecessary] is a big thing. One dentist friend said that most dentists can't pay expenses w/o it... I have had friends in USA get $10,000 estimates and get the needed work done here for $300... 

I just had a rear molar extracted, including x-rays and novocaine... 600 baht... 

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

In the USA everything medical related is a ripoff, that's no secret.

Stuff like crowns, inlays etc. in Thailand cost more than in Germany, just way overpriced here considering that most of the cost is for labor and labor is so much cheaper here, so this is stuff I get done when I'm in Germany.

if u get good work one needs to pay good price?   i have a phd educated dentist here hes a dentstry teacher.  all i know is he  has saved some of my teeth. and checkups are free........here........a gold crown here is 800 bucks whereas in usa it would be 1300 bucks.  one year i forgot my money to pay him for a crown here,  and he just let me pay him later,  that is trust.  no dentist in usa would let u pay later.  this was an odd incident for me as i went to atm and had trouble , he allowed me to pay him  after i left the country for a month.  now he has known me long time and we have facebook accts and phone numbers of each other. and emails.  but still, that was a nice gesture of him.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

When you think of the vast quantities of money thrown at the NHS, it beggars belief you need a military style plan and a day off work to see a GP for a sniffle and when you get there they make you wait for hours in front of a clucky middle aged receptionist that thinks you shouldn't be there. . . Yet I can go to any hospital here without and appointment (government or private) and see a doctor in minutes for a couple of hundred Baht, or for free on my SS account. I really wonder what the NHS are doing wrong actually. Just crunch the numbers, any idiot can see something is wrong.

Really?

I went to the local hospital a few years ago and walked out after waiting 7 hours to see a doctor

17 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Go buy a TV. Will take 10 times longer.

So much true....  go buy anything worth of any value and it takes ages of paperwork , while getting something done is like give a call or talk someone or drive in and boom it's done . Got to mention that not everything is done right also , but at least to get it done it is very cheap also .

18 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

i had him check brakes on the road

So you're happy that a mechanic did something stupid, just because you asked?

No legitimate mechanic anywhere checks brake systems by "road testing".

That's just idiotic.

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree.  A lot of things are cheaper here than in the west.  Sounds like the OP got a good deal.  And as long as the OP is happy that is what matters.

As for medical care.    I agree that in the USA it usually takes longer or much longer to get an appointment.  And costs are higher than here.  And that is why people have the option to have medical insurance.  

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Yes, you can get a lot of things done/ fixed here quickly and easily ,

My daughter in UK complaining about terrible toothache , she went

to dentist office , first appointment she can get mid February  !! , and

they wanted full payment upfront, and expensive , At the top of my

road there are two Dentist practices, if you go when they are opening

you are seen right away.

regards worgeordie

This is the legacy of government in the medical services.. 

But hey, lets all bang pans for the NHS !! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sezze said:

So much true....  go buy anything worth of any value and it takes ages of paperwork , while getting something done is like give a call or talk someone or drive in and boom it's done . Got to mention that not everything is done right also , but at least to get it done it is very cheap also .

Not true at all, I can select my 75" TV on Lazada, click buy, then pay cash or 'scan' to the delivery driver.