i know why people come to thailand

yogi yogi

Back to topic, a couple of months ago I fell in love with a scooter in Thailand, she had an Italian name but she was born in Japan.  Now back home in the U.S. I am looking for one of her sisters and finding few choices, and what few I can find are at much higher prices, some one or two states away.  And for oil changes or other services I doubt there are many sources other than overpriced dealerships.  No hope at all for a roadside tire repair stand or village shade tree mechanic.   So I agree with OP.

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

First A/C i brought here, at 4pm it was fitted with extended pipe work and brackets outside the balcony up and running by 7 pm.

Bought a fridge freezer the other week in Chiang Mai on a Sunday, hadn't been in the car for 5mins when the delivery guy phoned and asked if we'd be back at the condo in 20min to accept delivery.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ChrisP24 said:

Back to topic, a couple of months ago I fell in love with a scooter in Thailand, she had an Italian name but she was born in Japan.  Now back home in the U.S. I am looking for one of her sisters and finding few choices, and what few I can find are at much higher prices, some one or two states away.  And for oil changes or other services I doubt there are many sources other than overpriced dealerships.  No hope at all for a roadside tire repair stand or village shade tree mechanic.   So I agree with OP.

It's not the most difficult job in the world to change the oil yourself. I always used to DIY back in the UK.

Yes, one of the joys of living in Thailand is the wonderful service industry.  I cringed in America any time I had to hire a plumber or electrician.  My partner and I have been doing a house renovation and we had beautiful, custom drapes installed, at such a reasonable price.  Same with the wallpapering, painting, carpentry, landscaping, etc.  I used granite just 2 times on renovated condos in the US--way too expensive for my budget.  Here, I use it all the time as it's so affordable, both the granite, itself, and the labor.  

My mechanic comes to our house picks up the car and delivers it back ,checks the car free if we go to his garage ,a full service costs about 700 baht ,oil extra ,

we purchased a new water heater the other week ,we beat the instalers back home by about 20 mins ,they fitted it took away the old one ,all free ,in England it would have cost more for the fitting than the heater.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

So you're happy that a mechanic did something stupid, just because you asked?

No legitimate mechanic anywhere checks brake systems by "road testing".

That's just idiotic.

u mean checking brakes by using them is idiotic.  ?

22 hours ago, jackdd said:

In the USA everything medical related is a ripoff, that's no secret.

Stuff like crowns, inlays etc. in Thailand cost more than in Germany, just way overpriced here considering that most of the cost is for labor and labor is so much cheaper here, so this is stuff I get done when I'm in Germany.

I beg to disagree.
Dentists are way more expensive in Germany. To give perspective, a tooth cleaning used to cost me 150Eur (long time ago) when I now pay about 700B. Not only that, but it takes weeks for an appointment, when you are there you are treated like s**t, and finally you don't actually pay on the spot but they send you a 5-pages bill months later (which must be paid within few days) where they charged everything to the last piece of cottonwool. The best was about 50Eur of "oral counseling" when in fact we never exchanged a word.
btw, this is true for all kind of doctors in Germany not just dentists. Well, the part " you are treated like s**t " applies in fact to every kind of service from supermarket to restaurant to bus drivers.

At least in the ten years I spent there, maybe things changed now?
I doubt it.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 7:51 AM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

When you think of the vast quantities of money thrown at the NHS, it beggars belief you need a military style plan and a day off work to see a GP for a sniffle and when you get there they make you wait for hours in front of a clucky middle aged receptionist that thinks you shouldn't be there. . . Yet I can go to any hospital here without and appointment (government or private) and see a doctor in minutes for a couple of hundred Baht, or for free on my SS account. I really wonder what the NHS are doing wrong actually. Just crunch the numbers, any idiot can see something is wrong.

Forget the NHS - If I need a dental appointment (e.g. chipped a tooth), I can usually pay £50-£70 and get an appointment same/next day.

Thailand is obviously a lot cheaper, but you still have to pay.

One thing I hate about the dentist in Thailand, is the shield they always seem to use on me (not covid related).  Never had that in the UK.

Edited by sharksy
Please delete - off topic and i didn't read above properly anyway

14 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I beg to disagree.
Dentists are way more expensive in Germany. To give perspective, a tooth cleaning used to cost me 150Eur (long time ago) when I now pay about 700B. Not only that, but it takes weeks for an appointment, when you are there you are treated like s**t, and finally you don't actually pay on the spot but they send you a 5-pages bill months later (which must be paid within few days) where they charged everything to the last piece of cottonwool. The best was about 50Eur of "oral counseling" when in fact we never exchanged a word.
btw, this is true for all kind of doctors in Germany not just dentists. Well, the part " you are treated like s**t " applies in fact to every kind of service from supermarket to restaurant to bus drivers.

At least in the ten years I spent there, maybe things changed now?
I doubt it.

50 euro for "oral counselling", that's an expensive bl#w job.

5 hours ago, sharksy said:

Forget the NHS - If I need a dental appointment (e.g. chipped a tooth), I can usually pay £50-£70 and get an appointment same/next day.

Thailand is obviously a lot cheaper, but you still have to pay.

One thing I hate about the dentist in Thailand, is the shield they always seem to use on me (not covid related).  Never had that in the UK.

look harder there are good dentists here in thailand . dig deeper