Thieves!

ColPyat

presently on the entry page of the Bangkok Post website:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/

Thieves stole the entire handrail from one side of the steps of this pedestrian bridge ....

....Police said thieves have stolen stainless steel railings from several pedestrian bridges in the area.

:o

Its been happening a lot in Singapore recently too - stealing of handrails etc - the pic's in the paper are funny

High prices of scrap are to blame they say ;-)

presently on the entry page of the Bangkok Post website:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/

Thieves stole the entire handrail from one side of the steps of this pedestrian bridge ....

....Police said thieves have stolen stainless steel railings from several pedestrian bridges in the area.

Its been happening a lot in Singapore recently too - stealing of handrails etc - the pic's in the paper are funny

High prices of scrap are to blame they say ;-)

some of those hand rails are really nice,pm me i want 2 :D

Because of the high prices for the metal scrap I think it is quite common. I built a wall around a piece of land (no one living there) and my builder told me definitely not to put in metal railings, bars etc. He said I would come back and find them gone one day.

True. They'll even steal one's barbed wire (despite being totally light, rusty, and nearly worthless).

I've even had people steal our dirt before entire 1-2 rai sized lots scooped up to 2-3 meters deep, along with the land department's stone markers ...presumably for use as landfill somewhere else.

The most common solution is to find people to live on your land rent-free... but that's not always possible for the more remote areas.

At least they had the common decency to take only one side of the railings, we should be thankful for small mercy's. That or they just plain ran out of time. Amazing what you can get away with just wearing a pair of overalls and looking official - who's gonna question you?

Steel is in extremely short supply worldwide due, primarily, to the industrial expansion of China. Here in KL most of the hand rails are GRP as are the drain covers on the pavements (sidewalks). Any drainage gulleys with metal gratings have them all chained together and to a fixed point. Manhole covers in the roads disappear with monotonous regularity as do inspection covers on electrical junction boxes, lighting poles etc and even street signs are fair game to the tea leafs.

Thieves have been nicking telephone wires and manhole covers around my place for ages. A lot of motorcyclists have been injured or killed at night riding over open manholes.... :o

It always brings a smile to my face reading stories like this, though. shocking!

:D

Thieves have been nicking telephone wires and manhole covers around my place for ages. A lot of motorcyclists have been injured or killed at night riding over open manholes.... :o

It always brings a smile to my face reading stories like this, though. shocking!

Ha! amateures!

I remember 2 or 3 years ago up in the Northern Territory someone managed to steal a whole rail bridge wieghing a couple of hundred tons!

Trying to find the link

The telephone wires from the local exchange have been pinched six times this year. Everybody is positive that the staff from TOT company are the ones doing it.

Takes two days to rewire each time.

No wonder though, not like its hard to reach the phone lines, ten minutes snipping & you have yourself 20k baht profit.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Does anyone know the outcome of the case of the missing 8 Tonne, 2 metre diameter solid bronze medal with the image of HM that went missing at the Chiang Mai flower fest a while back? I seem to remember one of the head honchos had decided it wasn't being displayed in an aupicious enough location so "moved" it but wasn't saying where to. Probably his back yard. :o

I've had, to date, approximately 200 meters of barbed wire stolen, including the rusty, old nails used to secure the wire to wooden posts; yes: OLD, BENT, RUSTY NAILS WERE ALSO STOLEN. Additionally --and from the same plot of land-- four cement caissons were stolen from the well I had made.

Where did this occur? BAN KUTKUENG, in Roi-et Province. I've heard some people refer to the place as BAN KAMOY, but I certainly would not call it that, at least not publicly.

There are many natural hardwood trees on this land, including my daeng. These are routinely kamoyed. Well, at least I have the peace-of-mind that comes with the fact that the Ban KutKueng Police Station is less than 2,000 meters from this land. Yes, that's a heart-warming factor.

In the middle east, there have been cases of thieves shooting wires over high power electricity transmission(400kv) lines and shorting out whole cities, and subsequently stealing kms of high power line.

In the middle east, there have been cases of thieves shooting wires over high power electricity transmission(400kv) lines and shorting out whole cities, and subsequently stealing kms of high power line.

Quite a fireworks display to be sure....

Soundman.

Many people stealing Manhole covers in the Uk recently too. All Chinas fault and India for using all the steel apparently??

They have done that for ages here in pattaya.

At least one Motorcyclist was killed when he went down a man (or person) hole and a personhole cover thief was shot dead whilst in the act a few months ago.

On Ptm Nak Hill Pattaya where I take my dogs for walkies, they have (as I posted earlier), nicked a whole street lighting system consisting of dozens of lamposts and miles of heavy duty Copper cable.....now they are smashing the concrete bases to get at the Stainless steel rods there in.

Edited by Luckydog