Were you happy with your choice of Thailand Pass or SHA hotel?

Scouse123

I have another business trip coming up in March 2022 and I have been looking through hotels for the test and go scheme. I checked with a few websites including Agoda where SHA+ and Thailand Pass are advertised and found some of them are being a bit underhand with their advertising.

Some hotels are putting everything in the price ( as it should be) such as transport, and PCR tests and others are just advertising the room rates and when you get to the end, there is a jolt as the charges jump up from 1,700 baht or so, for their room rate to 6,000 and 7,000 with the add ons.

My recent trip I stayed at The Landmark hotel and was initially disappointed that breakfast was not included in the price.

I paid 5,900 baht but this included airport private car pick up, and PCR test at my preferred hospital, Bumrungrad. I actually missed the fact that had I paid 1,000 baht more, I could have had three meals, which I would have taken that option, had I read it properly. My fault!

My room was excellent on the 18th floor and 30 sq metres with all the nice touches of bathrobes, beautiful linen, spotless room etc. Great TV including English channels.

Looking now at other hotels and customers entering Thailand under the Thailand Pass system and commenting about run down hotels, poor food, dirty rooms, I feel I made a good choice and also with all things being equal I believe I got a decent deal under Covid circumstances. They are there for all to see on Agoda comments etc regards peoples views on some of the Thailand Pass hotels.

The Landmark hotel also, as soon as the test result came in, told me I was free to enter their restaurant bars or go outside the hotel, where I have seen others customers staying at different hotels were not allowed to do and were confined to their room until the following morning checkout.

It would be interesting if other people entering Thailand under various schemes and programmes such as SHA or Thailand Pass feel they got value for money from their choice of hotel.

26 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

First. are you sure you want to book now for March? Before Omicron, they wanted to do away with the PCR test altogether. Who knows what the requirements will be in 3 months from now.

Second, a lot depends on your arrival time and whether you stop in Bangkok or have a domestic connection. In principle, under the current PCR rules you don't actually have to spend the night but only need to wait until the negative result. I was ok at the Novotel Suvarnabhumi, 4900 incl transportation and test, which took place right away. If your intention is to move on asap, nothing can beat that.

Hi 

Yeah but I had no flight up to Roi Et until the following morning.

I took the test at like 8am but got the result at 5pm.

I am waiting a couple or three weeks to see how Omicron pans out as well before booking.

It will mean like 3 PCR tests under current Thai and UK rules.

Thanks as well, I will check out Novotel. How long did they take for test results please?

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If I arrive back with my Thai wife, is she required to get the PCR test too, and what are the extra charges for a couple? 

Yes... everyone is, even kids. 

The additional charge for a 2 person stay is around the 2200 baht mark for the PCR test and then another 300–500 baht for meals 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

‘Fast pass’ ??? - do you mean the ‘Thailand Pass’ ?? If so, no,  no one under normal circumstances is exempt, Thai or otherwise.

Meant Thailand pass. So, she has to do it separately from me? The only difference being that she does not need Covid insurance? Thanks for the info. 

16 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Hi 

Yeah but I had no flight up to Roi Et until the following morning.

I took the test at like 8am but got the result at 5pm.

I am waiting a couple or three weeks to see how Omicron pans out as well before booking.

It will mean like 3 PCR tests under current Thai and UK rules.

Thanks as well, I will check out Novotel. How long did they take for test results please?

I just checked. My flight landed 12:05pm in BKK. One hour later I took the test at the hotel (yes, including TP check, immigration, luggage, transportation). The result is stamped 18:30pm, so less than 6 hours. However, they sat on it for 4 hours, the email reached me 10pm. Perhaps that was a glitch or one can make a request.

As for Novotel: very close to airport, shuttle always running, about 5 minutes transfer time. They had two nurses stationed there, for Princ Hospital. Room very quiet (can't hear the planes), very large, showing its age but clean, cable TV and good WiFi, I didn't stroll around outside but it looked pleasant enough and there's a pool. It has the policy of check-in anytime, check-out 24 hours later. Breakfast was not included, I think it was 750B buffet I didn't need it. Only got a decent dinner from room service at a reasonable price. Only complaint, there was no A/C control in the room and I had to wear a sweater.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

As for Novotel: very close to airport, shuttle always running, about 5 minutes transfer time.

Was the cost of this shuttle transfer included in the price of 4,900 THB?

And is there a dedicated shuttle for Test & Go passengers?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bubbha said:

Yes, both ways. And yes, they wait for you inside the airport with a sign. In my case, it was the typical 10-seat van, there were 2 of us so enough distancing.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbha said:

Ah,

I had a limousine to myself with Landmark hotel included.

My PCR test was done like a drive thru at Bumrungrad hospital through the window of my limousine and on to the hotel we went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

I just checked. My flight landed 12:05pm in BKK. One hour later I took the test at the hotel (yes, including TP check, immigration, luggage, transportation). The result is stamped 18:30pm, so less than 6 hours. However, they sat on it for 4 hours, the email reached me 10pm. Perhaps that was a glitch or one can make a request.

As for Novotel: very close to airport, shuttle always running, about 5 minutes transfer time. They had two nurses stationed there, for Princ Hospital. Room very quiet (can't hear the planes), very large, showing its age but clean, cable TV and good WiFi, I didn't stroll around outside but it looked pleasant enough and there's a pool. It has the policy of check-in anytime, check-out 24 hours later. Breakfast was not included, I think it was 750B buffet I didn't need it. Only got a decent dinner from room service at a reasonable price. Only complaint, there was no A/C control in the room and I had to wear a sweater.

It seems OK but you like me, had a deal with no meals involved whereas Hyatt Place on Sukhumvit at 5,000 baht is throwing in a limo and 3 meals. Also Best Western is doing similar.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

????????????....   c’mon March ????...... wait until Feb.... possibilities involve full lock down, no access, to Thailand is fully open to everyone without restrictions....

Yeah,

I did say I am leaving it a few weeks to see how Omicron pans out. And the trip was beginning of March but you are probably right.

The airlines push you to book, and to be honest I wasted money flying business on Qatar because economy was absolutely deserted in big sections like  so empty anybody could have had three seats to themselves!

I don't think lockdown is coming though. I hope I am right.

Economies are on their knees in Asia with all this lot.

I’m wondering which would be the best site to book through, especially if some hotels are being a bit unscrupulous. Has anyone looked at multiple sites to see if hotels are being offered at different prices on different sites. It seems as always the system is open to abuse by some of the hotels, though I’d assume the branded hotels might be more reliable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

It seems OK but you like me, had a deal with no meals involved whereas Hyatt Place on Sukhumvit at 5,000 baht is throwing in a limo and 3 meals. Also Best Western is doing similar.

The more distance you accept from the airport, the more deals you will find.
btw, interesting to read your experience with Qatar. I flew Emirates, it was packed and one of the legs I was on waitlist in business. I guess the World Expo in Dubai.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I'm surprised that you accepted there was no A/C control. At the price you are paying, I would expect the A/C control fixed immediately, or given another room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

The more distance you accept from the airport, the more deals you will find.
btw, interesting to read your experience with Qatar. I flew Emirates, it was packed and one of the legs I was on waitlist in business. I guess the World Expo in Dubai.

Business class on my flight was busier by numbers in relatioon to seats available than economy.

5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’m wondering which would be the best site to book through, especially if some hotels are being a bit unscrupulous. Has anyone looked at multiple sites to see if hotels are being offered at different prices on different sites. It seems as always the system is open to abuse by some of the hotels, though I’d assume the branded hotels might be more reliable.

Hi,

I would put my trust in this website for future travel as they seem on the button and prices are same as other websites I have checked out but with a better description and understanding of each hotel and of what exactly you are getting for your money.

Yes, some are openly cashing in on this pandemic with different pricing on different sites.

This site allows direct booking with your preferred hotel

https://thaiest.com/blog/aq-hotel-1-night-packages

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I'm surprised that you accepted there was no A/C control. At the price you are paying, I would expect the A/C control fixed immediately, or given another room.

The room was 1,900 if you deduct 3,000 for PCR, for a hotel almost inside a major airport it's not much. I imagine all rooms were a bit old-fashioned without individual A/C setting, at least on the floor devoted to test&go. It was one night, not the end of the world. But I felt people should know.

1 minute ago, arithai12 said:

The room was 1,900 if you deduct 3,000 for PCR, for a hotel almost inside a major airport it's not much. I imagine all rooms were a bit old-fashioned without individual A/C setting, at least on the floor devoted to test&go. It was one night, not the end of the world. But I felt people should know.

1,900Bt for a room where you can't set the A/C?? I would not accept that in an 800Bt room. To me that is unbelievable, am I missing something here?

• Like 1

apology slightly off topic:

i flew in from the UK yesterday with Qatar, both flights were fully booked in all class's. only 1 seat was vacant in Economy and that was because no show (they had checked in on line)

I have never paid so much for Business on Qatar (3200gbp) on Skyscanner went up to 3900 last weekend.

Doha airport was rammed, you would never know there was any problems with the amount of people travelling

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, terryp said:

apology slightly off topic:

i flew in from the UK yesterday with Qatar, both flights were fully booked in all class's. only 1 seat was vacant in Economy and that was because no show (they had checked in on line)

I have never paid so much for Business on Qatar (3200gbp) on Skyscanner went up to 3900 last weekend.

Doha airport was rammed, you would never know there was any problems with the amount of people travelling

Amazing,

It just shows the difference that a couple of weeks has made with the Thailand Pass up and running.

I paid nearly half of what you have just paid as well for business. Glad I went when I did now.

I paid $118 for one night at a place that claimed to be near the airport and have 24 shuttle to the airport which were both lies. It says on the web site.  It was in the middle of nowhere and i had to pay for the grab to the sky train.  I complained to the manager who could care less, they could even flip the 80 baht for the grab. Thai's really have a poor sense of business always ripping farangs off.  Not will to make a little concession. You know this happens all the time.

It is like the airlines when they give you a cheap price on the web site then when you get there it is like oh btw you need to pay another 1000 baht for your luggage. What were you thinking?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

I paid $118 for one night at a place that claimed to be near the airport and have 24 shuttle to the airport which were both lies. It says on the web site.  It was in the middle of nowhere and i had to pay for the grab to the sky train.  I complained to the manager who could care less, they could even flip the 80 baht for the grab. Thai's really have a poor sense of business always ripping farangs off.  Not will to make a little concession. You know this happens all the time.

It is like the airlines when they give you a cheap price on the web site then when you get there it is like oh btw you need to pay another 1000 baht for your luggage. What were you thinking?

I always thought you have to pay in THB. I’ve no idea what you paid really so can’t comment if $118 was a good deal or not. 80 baht sounds ok for a Grab though.

I've been searching for this info but no can find. Can I do the Test and Pass and head directly to Pattaya after passing thru immigration at suvarnabhumi? I see hotel packages for Pattaya for the SHA plus but dont know if this is allowed. Instead  of Bangkok. Krub

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mr336 said:

I've been searching for this info but no can find. Can I do the Test and Pass and head directly to Pattaya after passing thru immigration at suvarnabhumi? I see hotel packages for Pattaya for the SHA plus but dont know if this is allowed. Instead  of Bangkok. Krub

Well yes,

But it all has to be done in advance  and uploaded to obtain your Thailand Pass in the first place.

Your Thailand Pass hotel booking and PCR test plus transport to your Pattaya hotel all must be declared, paid and uploaded to the website in order to receive your Pass

All this has to be pre paid in advance. Your Pattaya transport therefore, will be waiting for you at the arrivals pick up point.

You are not left to go to Pattaya under your own steam so to speak, it must follow a set out procedure.

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

PCR TEST is 2,400 baht at Bumrungrad hospital which is probably the top one in Bangkok.

14 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Well yes,

But it all has to be done in advance  and uploaded to obtain your Thailand Pass in the first place.

Your Thailand Pass hotel booking and PCR test plus transport to your Pattaya hotel all must be declared, paid and uploaded to the website in order to receive your Pass

All this has to be pre paid in advance. Your Pattaya transport therefore, will be waiting for you at the arrivals pick up point.

You are not left to go to Pattaya under your own steam so to speak, it must follow a set out procedure.

Yes understand all the requirements for the Thai Pass. Just couldn't find any info on ok travel to P town for the test/hotel stay. Big thanks

• Like 1