Retirement Visa Funds

Hello,

Currently trying to help my Uncle with his visa, he is based in the UK and wanting to retire in Thailand, looking to do the SETV route but might be too late in the day and so I have a question on timings.

I understand it's possible to change a visa exemption to a NON-O in country when 15 days are remaining, but at that point how long does the 800K have to have been in the account, is it the full 2 months or is the 2 month requirement only for the 1 year extension of the Non-O?

OP, 800k on day of application for the non O hence he has time. The non O gives a permission of stay for 90 days so plenty of time to season the money (2 months) for 12 month extension.

Note for non O retirement he needs to show that the funds came from overseas.

Naturally he needs a Thai bank account in his name only.

Does he have Thai bank account? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Some offices do not insist on that, though it’s in the guidance. Also the 15 days is a minimum, a few more are safer.

Which offices do not insist on it. 

It's true that if money has been in the Thai bank for a period then it would not be required to show funds coming from o/s. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP,s uncle does not have a bank account in Thailand. 

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which offices do not insist on it. 

It's true that if money has been in the Thai bank for a period then it would not be required to show funds coming from o/s. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP,s uncle does not have a bank account in Thailand. 

I can’t give you the details, but there have certainly been reports that specifically mentioned that the origin of the funds was not questioned,  FWIW the guidance makes no exceptions for longer term deposits, it like other rules are a local or individual IO choice.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Naturally he needs a Thai bank account in his name only.

Does he have Thai bank account? 

Everyone, thank you for the information so far with the funding dates, that make's things much easier. As for the bank account no he doesn't have one and that is going to be the next hurdle he has to jump through. Can't have a visa without a bank account, can't have a bank account without a visa, TiT. ???? I am hoping Bangkok Bank HQ in Silom will be happy with just a certified passport copy.

5 minutes ago, FunkOz said:

Everyone, thank you for the information so far with the funding dates, that make's things much easier. As for the bank account no he doesn't have one and that is going to be the next hurdle he has to jump through. Can't have a visa without a bank account, can't have a bank account without a visa, TiT. ???? I am hoping Bangkok Bank HQ in Silom will be happy with just a certified passport copy.

Agent can assist with opening Bank account. Some have used Siam Legal, just one example. They use Bangkok Bank. That needs to be priority after arrival. 

Virtually what I posted earlier.

He will need to transfer funds from abroad. Some folk use Wise.

Threads on that showing how to demonstrate funds from outside of Thailand.

I wonder, I took out 750,000 from my account because I prefer to use an agent to arrange my retirement in June next year.

However, if the agent fails for some reason, and I bring the money back 1 month before my retirement extension expire, is there a fine I have to pay? Or they kick me out?

19 minutes ago, Tubulat said:

I wonder, I took out 750,000 from my account because I prefer to use an agent to arrange my retirement in June next year.

However, if the agent fails for some reason, and I bring the money back 1 month before my retirement extension expire, is there a fine I have to pay? Or they kick me out?

legit agent won't fail, immigration will want you to use an agent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FunkOz said:

There are certainly some branches of some banks who will use that line.

However it IS NOT bank policy nor is it government policy. If you go to a branch near immigration or the head office branch or one in a known foreigner friendly area tell them that you wish to open an account to transfer in 800K for visa/extension purposes the will be only too happy to open an account. It is usually easier if you are accompanied by an existing good Thai national customer. 

Opening accounts on a visa exempt entry is possible, Opening accounts on a Non-O / Non-OA visa is even easier.

if one branch of one bank refuses you just walk along the road to the next bank, even the next branch of the same bank if it is convenient. Do not believe the tale you will be told that it is impossible/against bank policy/against the law, these just mean that that bank manager will not allow it, there is nothing to say that the next branch manager will refuse.

As to a certified passport, that’s a new on on me. He will have to be present to open the account. I have never been asked for a certified passport.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

47 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are certainly some branches of some banks who will use that line.

However it IS NOT bank policy nor is it government policy. If you go to a branch near immigration or the head office branch or one in a known foreigner friendly area tell them that you wish to open an account to transfer in 800K for visa/extension purposes the will be only too happy to open an account. It is usually easier if you are accompanied by an existing good Thai national customer. 

Opening accounts on a visa exempt entry is possible, Opening accounts on a Non-O / Non-OA visa is even easier.

if one branch of one bank refuses you just walk along the road to the next bank, even the next branch of the same bank if it is convenient. Do not believe the tale you will be told that it is impossible/against bank policy/against the law, these just mean that that bank manager will not allow it, there is nothing to say that the next branch manager will refuse.

As to a certified passport, that’s a new on on me. He will have to be present to open the account. I have never been asked for a certified passport.

Nup.

Years ago opening a bank account even on visa exempt was possible. 

In recent times it is far from straight forward. Perhaps down to money laundering laws? 

Year or more ago I wanted to open an FD account. 

I already had bank account in Thailand. 

Had been here several years and presented with passport with extensions from non O retirement and reentry permit.

One of the large Bangkok Bank branches Asoke ...wanted confirmation of residence from my embassy (or something along those lines). Also something from my Oz bank. Ridiculous.

Some banks now want a residence certificate from immigration.

That's an even bigger problem to obtain in Bangkok as it requires a 90 report to have been filed.

BTW, I walked in with 600k cash and had Thai gf with me who happens to bank with that company. 

OP, use an agent...if you enter visa exempt you will find opening Bank account difficult (not impossible).

I eventually had success with Kasikorn bank. 

Edited by DrJack54

16 hours ago, FunkOz said:

Use an agent. That is what they are there for

10 minutes ago, merijn said:

Don't come to Thailand on a STV visa as you can't convert this to a retirement extension.

Get the Non-OA from the embassy or better do the conversion inside Thailand.

Good advice... especially the important note regarding STV.

Not so convinced about the suggestion of the non O-A.

The uncle being UK can obtain a non O retirement in UK and perhaps that is better option than the non O-A.

He mentioned "retire in Thailand" so avoiding insurance requirement is important.

However I would go with you on best to obtain non O inside Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good advice... especially the important note regarding STV.

Not so convinced about the suggestion of the non O-A.

The uncle being UK can obtain a non O retirement in UK and perhaps that is better option than the non O-A.

He mentioned "retire in Thailand" so avoiding insurance requirement is important.

You're right as the Non-OA is not perfect but they don't issue the Non-O for retirement anymore as this is replaced by the Non-OA visa.

The Non-O is for marriage etc.

4 minutes ago, merijn said:

You're right as the Non-OA is not perfect but they don't issue the Non-O for retirement anymore as this is replaced by the Non-OA visa.

The non-o visa for retirement is available in the UK or any of the countries that also use the e visa site.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, merijn said:

The Non-O is for marriage etc.

OK, thanks. 

I was aware that non O retirement was not available in Oz, thought was still possible in UK and USA.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The non-o visa for retirement is available in the UK or any of the countries that also use the e visa site.

Good to now, i didn't know that the Non-O for retirement was reintroduced with the eVisa system.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, merijn said:

Good to now, i didn't know that the Non-O for retirement was reintroduced with the eVisa system.

I think it was added in before the UK started using the site. It has about the same wording they had on the London embassy website.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think it was added in before the UK started using the site. It has about the same wording they had on the London embassy website.

Is the Non-OA health insurance also required for the Non-O retirement visa ?

I have been trying since yesterday morning and no luck. Just now I tried and got my confirmation email saying that they received a completed application.  They will respond to me in two to three days.  Please everyone try to register now and get a login email from immigration where they give you a password to login using the same email address you originally provided

24 minutes ago, merijn said:

Is the Non-OA health insurance also required for the Non-O retirement visa ?

It ask for proof of the 40/400k baht insurance but it only has be valid for 90 days. That was added in last year when they started allowing entries for retirement.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It ask for proof of the 40/400k baht insurance but it only has be valid for 90 days. That was added in last year when they started allowing entries for retirement.

OK, At least this is a improvement over the Non-OA visa as you don't need the health insurance for the yearly extensions.