Non-Imm Type O - One Year Stay Extension - Change Extension Qualifications?

I have a Non-Imm Type O visa. I initially got it and have for many years applied for a one-year stay extension based on Marriage criteria. 

Now, I'd like to apply for my next one-year stay extension based on Retirement criteria because it takes a lot less paperwork. Can I do that?

And, if I do that, can I then later, say a couple of years from now and in case my bank balance is reduced, go back to applying for a one-year stay extension based on Marriage?

I've asked my local Immigration Office and got different answers from different officers.

Thanks for any advice on this you can give me.

Edited by billsmart

10 minutes ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Pay an agent 14,000 per year and never enter the immigration building again

As someone who is gonna retire to LOS next year can you guys tell me how many of you use an agent

is it the way to go?

1 hour ago, Boyn said:

As someone who is gonna retire to LOS next year can you guys tell me how many of you use an agent

is it the way to go?

Guys on here will claim the sky is falling over pretty much anything posted, agents are no different, it's illegal, monkey house etc. Sixth year here and spent the time it takes to sign your name on each occasion, 10 seconds times 6. I have made $18000 in lost investment income after agent fees. I have not read of a single person having problems using an agent who already didn't have problems. Many people in trouble get well bringing an agent aboard.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Strange question. It's an option.

Most of the time it's due to not being able to meet the requirements.

Some folk don't like to keep money in Thai bank. Some don't wish to deal with immigration.

IMO if you can afford it do it yourself. Money in bank method for retirement is very easy and straight forward. Stick 800k in a Thai bank account. The yearly stamp is cake walk.

Thanks for the reply, but not really a strange question after reading numerous posts on here where people moan about all the problems they have with immigration it appears that to some it is so hard and they have to go get this and that changed and their thai account is wrong and the IO was really awkward and on and on, so hence my query.

17 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

Pay an agent 14,000 per year and never enter the immigration building again

Concur.Cheap.Phuket 28k lowest price for Phuket Imm Retirement Stamp ( not “Chonburi”) for first 15 months extendable theoretically to 26 mths using well -timed Re-Entry ?

59 minutes ago, Boyn said:

Thanks for the reply, but not really a strange question after reading numerous posts on here where people moan about all the problems they have with immigration it appears that to some it is so hard and they have to go get this and that changed and their thai account is wrong and the IO was really awkward and on and on, so hence my query.

I suggest that the vast majority of those that ..."moan about all the problems".....to use your words, in fact have incorrect or lack of correct documents. 

True.. marriage extensions have more paperwork, however it's not difficult. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Concur.Cheap.Phuket 28k lowest price for Phuket Imm Retirement Stamp ( not “Chonburi”) for first 15 months extendable theoretically to 26 mths using well -timed Re-Entry ?

Please explain the "26 month theory"

Dont mix up stamped in for 12 months with a non O-A for every entry. 

Agent non O be that retirement or volunteering etc can give you up to 15 months max..

6 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Heard that if you re-enter say at 14 months from original visa / extension you can get a final 12 month term extension ?

The "original visa" your referring to is a non O retirement. That stamps you in for 90 days and followed by a 12 month extension.

To exit and reenter you would need to buy a reentry permit and when you reenter you would only be stamped in till the expiry of your existing extension.

Your confusing this all with a non O-A that can give you up to 2 years with the timed exit and reentry that you refer to.

A non O-A is not available in Thailand and an agent cannot obtain one. 

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Strange question. It's an option.

Most of the time it's due to not being able to meet the requirements.

Some folk don't like to keep money in Thai bank. Some don't wish to deal with immigration.

IMO if you can afford it do it yourself. Money in bank method for retirement is very easy and straight forward. Stick 800k in a Thai bank account. The yearly stamp is cake walk.

100% in agreement with @DrJack54 on this. 

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

Heard that if you re-enter say at 14 months from original visa / extension you can get a final 12 month term extension ?

you really need to get the different visas and extensions sorted in your head, together with their expiry dates & requirements, as a rule visas are issued outside Thailand with a few exceptions and extensions are only given within Thailand.