Home Office In Condo Allowed?

we're running a design consultancy, which used to operate on pretty small scale, but now we're considering opening a small office to locate 1 or 2 designers, and 2 client service initially and perhaps more over time.

to save cost we would prefer to have home and office at the same place. I know townhouses can be used for this purpose (if the landlord agrees) but prefer to stay in a condo with facilities etc. I'm currently in a 1br condo, and in the past the (farang) landlord mentioned he wouldn't mind if I use the address of my condo to register the company and he's ok to sign paperwork for this - I wonder however if there are building regulations that prevent this.

At the moment we have 2 consultants that work from the condo occasionaly, but not full-time office hours, we don't have clients coming in and there's not much traffic from messengers etc that cause disturbances. However, if we scale it up a bit and there are signs on the door, and more people coming in and out I wonder if that would cause issues.

Does anyone know:

1) if there are any general rules about whether it's possible or not to use condo space for home / office use.

2) if there are different rules for apartment buildings vs condominiums.

3) if there are any buildings in CBD area preferrably around rajdamri, silom, sathorn / skytrain that allow this.

4) any agents that could help find something suitable.

Typically it is not allowed by condominium regulations and indeed the building's certified use at the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority will almost certainly prohibit this in both apartments and condo's.

That's not to say that people don't do this, they do, but they tend to be in older properties on the outskirts of Bangkok, and even then its not strictly 'kosher' and certainly will not be permitted in modern buildings.

Unless your condo regulations say, otherwise (which I doubt) there will undoubtedly be problems with building management once you affix signage. In fact I would say that once you get to the level you should probably start to look for formal accommodation anyway.

I run a commercial agency here catering to firms of all sizes and have dropped you a PM with our contact details.

anyone else any experiences with this. I agree that at some point we'll have grown large enough to use normal office space, but for the period up to that point I feel it would be a bit of a waste - we're just trying to manage overheads as much as possible I guess.

The key thing we need is some deskspace for 1 or 2 designers and some deskspace for 2 consultants, so everyone can be in the same place during office hours and work together - meetings we currently do through a virtual office agreement with Regus so we could always continue to use that if req'd.

Anyone any thoughts?

You need to check the Condo rules and regulations.

For our development, they are very clear, you cannot use residential units of business purchases. Your proposal would breach this rule.

We also have rules which prevent the display of any notices or advertising. This would cover your signs

Talk to the management office about any restrictions in your development.

As above, you need to check with the condo management. There are definately some companies operating out of our condo with the blessing of management, all have signs etc.

That said they don't appear to have lots of people going in and out so probably one-man operations.

As above, you need to check with the condo management. There are definately some companies operating out of our condo with the blessing of management, all have signs etc.

That said they don't appear to have lots of people going in and out so probably one-man operations.

we dont necessarily need signs etc. and won't have much traffic going in and out, just really only a roof and a desk for a few people.

but the comments seem to suggest that it depends on each building whether or not it is allowed - can I ask what building you are in? (pm me if you prefer)

anyone that can recommend an agent that could help find out more info on this?