Cheap Charlie

Humphrey Bear

BAR GIRL HITS GERMAN CUSTOMER OVER THE HEAD WITH BEER BOTTLE

A German policeman was hit over the head with a beer bottle, apparently by a bargirl. He will surely pursue the case to the end. The manager of the bar, allegedly in an attempt to protect his staff, declared that the attacker was a customer, not a staff member. Thai police believe that the perpetrator was a bar girl who didn’t get a tip from the customer. Police are investigating the bar staff, individually.

On the 2nd June 2007, at 1:30 AM, Pol.Lt.Col.Thawatchai Sudsakorn, Investigator, was notified that a tourist was struck over the head and injured at a beer bar in Central Pattaya, on Soi 8, Moo 9, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi.

At the scene, Mr.Arno Leinen (49), a German citizen, who is also a Police Major in Germany, was bleeding and injured on the right side of his forehead. He also sustained many cuts on his arms. He and his German friend waited for the police to arrive at the bar.

Police assume that Mr. Arno was struck over his head by a bargirl and immediately took him to Pattaya Memorial hospital. Doctors had to apply five stitches to the cut on his forehead. Inside the bar was found a broken beer bottle scattered around the floor, as well, blood stains on the floor. Police interviewed the bar staff, but nobody admitted to being the attacker.

Police invited Mr.Arno and bar manager, Mrs. Nitaya Duengsomsa (49), address 51/1, Moo 5, Baan Kam, NamPhong, Konkaen Province, to the police station for further investigation.

Mr. Arno said that he has been a policeman in Germany for 28 years, and has been on holiday in Pattaya for over 2 months. He and his friend came to the bar and ordered two beers. After finishing the beer, he asked for the bill, which was eighty baht. He handed over a one hundred baht note and waited for change. A bar girl gave him twenty baht change, which he put in his pocket, and prepared to leave.

He heard a bar girl shouting in English that he did not give the 20 Baht to the staff as a tip. He continued on his way when, suddenly, a bar girl came toward him and broke a beer bottle over his head, causing injury to Mr. Arno. The bar girl disappeared during the ensuing chaos. Mr. Arno, immediately, asked his friend to call the police. He said he would follow up the case until it is adjudicated.

Mrs. Nitaya, the bar manager, contradicted the story that Mr. Arno was attacked because he was too stingy to tip the staff. Her version was that a Thai female customer who was sitting next to him disliked his behavior, grabbed a beer bottle to strike over Mr. Arno's head and then ran away. The bar girls did not see what was happening, only heard the sound of the bottle crashing over Mr. Arno’s head. Police had Mr. Arno look at all the bar girls, but he could not identify the one who attacked him.

Pol.Lt.Col. Thawatchai said that he did not believe the accounts given by Mrs Nittaya, the bar manager, and her staff. The police believe they were trying to protect the attacker. In addition, Mr. Arno's statement seemed reliable because he was not drunk. However, he could not identify the person who struck him because of the chaos. Police could not arrest anyone but were only able to take a report.

Police will call the entire bar girls and witnesses for further investigation to find the real perpetrator; and will process the case according to the law. When they determine the guilty party, they will charge her with inflicting physical and mental injury.

Pattaya Daily News 4th June 2007

Eighty baht in the checkbin. Certainly he was not drunk. Two beers for eighty baht and he doesn't leave the change? Not WeHo by any chance?

Again apologies for not printing the photos - lots of 'em.

Eighty baht in the checkbin. Certainly he was not drunk. Two beers for eighty baht and he doesn't leave the change? Not WeHo by any chance?

quite right 'n all ,

i mean everyone who neglects to tip ort to have a bottle bounced off their noggin ,

what is this world coming to ...................... :o

BAR GIRL HITS GERMAN CUSTOMER OVER THE HEAD WITH BEER BOTTLE

A German policeman was hit over the head with a beer bottle, apparently by a bargirl. He will surely pursue the case to the end. The manager of the bar, allegedly in an attempt to protect his staff, declared that the attacker was a customer, not a staff member. Thai police believe that the perpetrator was a bar girl who didn't get a tip from the customer. Police are investigating the bar staff, individually.

On the 2nd June 2007, at 1:30 AM, Pol.Lt.Col.Thawatchai Sudsakorn, Investigator, was notified that a tourist was struck over the head and injured at a beer bar in Central Pattaya, on Soi 8, Moo 9, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi.

At the scene, Mr.Arno Leinen (49), a German citizen, who is also a Police Major in Germany, was bleeding and injured on the right side of his forehead. He also sustained many cuts on his arms. He and his German friend waited for the police to arrive at the bar.

Police assume that Mr. Arno was struck over his head by a bargirl and immediately took him to Pattaya Memorial hospital. Doctors had to apply five stitches to the cut on his forehead. Inside the bar was found a broken beer bottle scattered around the floor, as well, blood stains on the floor. Police interviewed the bar staff, but nobody admitted to being the attacker.

Police invited Mr.Arno and bar manager, Mrs. Nitaya Duengsomsa (49), address 51/1, Moo 5, Baan Kam, NamPhong, Konkaen Province, to the police station for further investigation.

Mr. Arno said that he has been a policeman in Germany for 28 years, and has been on holiday in Pattaya for over 2 months. He and his friend came to the bar and ordered two beers. After finishing the beer, he asked for the bill, which was eighty baht. He handed over a one hundred baht note and waited for change. A bar girl gave him twenty baht change, which he put in his pocket, and prepared to leave.

He heard a bar girl shouting in English that he did not give the 20 Baht to the staff as a tip. He continued on his way when, suddenly, a bar girl came toward him and broke a beer bottle over his head, causing injury to Mr. Arno. The bar girl disappeared during the ensuing chaos. Mr. Arno, immediately, asked his friend to call the police. He said he would follow up the case until it is adjudicated.

Mrs. Nitaya, the bar manager, contradicted the story that Mr. Arno was attacked because he was too stingy to tip the staff. Her version was that a Thai female customer who was sitting next to him disliked his behavior, grabbed a beer bottle to strike over Mr. Arno's head and then ran away. The bar girls did not see what was happening, only heard the sound of the bottle crashing over Mr. Arno's head. Police had Mr. Arno look at all the bar girls, but he could not identify the one who attacked him.

Pol.Lt.Col. Thawatchai said that he did not believe the accounts given by Mrs Nittaya, the bar manager, and her staff. The police believe they were trying to protect the attacker. In addition, Mr. Arno's statement seemed reliable because he was not drunk. However, he could not identify the person who struck him because of the chaos. Police could not arrest anyone but were only able to take a report.

Police will call the entire bar girls and witnesses for further investigation to find the real perpetrator; and will process the case according to the law. When they determine the guilty party, they will charge her with inflicting physical and mental injury.

Pattaya Daily News 4th June 2007

Again apologies for not printing the photos - lots of 'em.

2 sides to every story and for a thai bg to bottle a guy for just not leaving a tip sounds like a crock,.and that he only had 2 beers in that bar does not mean that he couldnt have consumed a load more previously,.cop or not i dont beleive it ,.

Jeez, I thought Weho had finally got what we were warning him about :o

He is a Cheap Charlie, But he still doesnt deserve to be hit over the head with a beer bottle just because he didnt leave a tip. Maybe he had a reason not to leave a tip .. (Warm beer, unfriendly staff) ??

Obviously this isnt the whole story..

He is a Cheap Charlie, But he still doesnt deserve to be hit over the head with a beer bottle just because he didnt leave a tip. Maybe he had a reason not to leave a tip .. (Warm beer, unfriendly staff) ??

What's wrong with warm beer?

No, he probably didn't deserve it, but if you see all the photos in the original article, he did deserve it - just for looking like he does :o

... 80 baht for 2 beers

Two beers in a Pattay bar for a total of 80 Baht? Is that possible, even during happy hours? Or was it 80 Baht per bottle and Arno and his friend each paid for their own beer?

--

Maestro

why are you not posting the links with these articles?

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_02_06_50_4.htm

I have just checked out the pictures and yes,in my opinion he did deserve it, if only for wearing that fake von dutch ( sleeveless ) T shirt, puke :o

I took this from a couple of days later - different photos.

PCN obviously keep re-dating their stories as they don't have too many to publish.

How does one put in all the links. I know - read the instructions. Where are the instructions?

quite right 'n all ,

i mean everyone who neglects to tip ort to have a bottle bounced off their noggin ,

what is this world coming to ...................... :o

a 23% tip is a bit extreme, if you where bar hopping and left a 20baht tip for every drink you had that would be rather extreme, we all know how change is given in these bars, i try to stick to the <10% tip, if it had been me i'd have taken the 20baht and replaced it with a 5 or 10 baht coin, now if i'd had 5 or 6 beers then different matter

... 80 baht for 2 beers

Two beers in a Pattay bar for a total of 80 Baht? Is that possible, even during happy hours? Or was it 80 Baht per bottle and Arno and his friend each paid for their own beer?

--

Maestro

there are many bars you can get tiger beer bottle for 35baht.

Ah the wonders of reporting in Pattaya.

In the Pattaya Daily News version, he is:

Mr.Arno Leinen (49), a German citizen, who is also a Police Major in Germany

In the Pattaya City News (Our News is Always New), he is:

Mr. Lionel Liniev aged 44 had clearly been hurt...

I'd say the Daily News version quote by HB is more accurate, as it shows a photo of his passport.

Of the 6 posters that left comments under the article (on the Daily News site), I wonder how many are TV members ?

a new low is reached in pattaya life

Is that possible???

a group of large men....and a police officer for 28yrs, and a little girl got the better of them. rather comical really.

I guess that's why I never go to Pattaya :o

I also consider there is more to the story than two guys having a beer, paying the tab and one being hit with a bottle because they did not leave a tip.

Having one drink at a bar and then moving on makes me wonder if they only stopped at that particular bar because one of them liked something he saw there, maybe terms for hire were not agreed so he wanted to move to the next bar. Maybe the beer was warm or frozen an oft' problem when the bar staff fail to rotate bottles around the freezer.

I suggest it takes more than the loss of 20 Baht to cause a girl to hit a customer, from the bar owner maybe - but from a BG I doubt it. This sounds personal - maybe an insult or rejection? My favorite guess is the BG was drunk herself.

i'd like to know who the bg is....i'd buy her a drink............ :D

now why would anyone do that.

a new low is reached in pattaya life

Its called a sense of humour,. some of us lucky ones have one , others dont ! :o

another even lower low

BG could have been drunk or on drugs. Particularly as she (allegedly) fled the scene.

I could be wrong - but I thought bar owners had to have 'time cards' for all employees.

My rule is: Tip if the service is above average. Never tip if a tip is asked for or demanded.

Peter

I could be wrong - but I thought bar owners had to have 'time cards' for all employees.

Sorry, this is generally not the case. In better organized BBs maybe and in GGs - yes a record is kept of attendance (lateness of their shift/start time) and the number of OFFs each girl/boy chalks up, but they do not clock in.

Many Bs will "employ" girls on a one off freelance basis, paid either a flat fee for the night acting as a halker or just on a cut of lady drink and bar fine money.

Often staff at a bar will only know each other girl on a nickname basis only, some may know each other from a "home" town. But after a while girls move on from the first bar they work at, so not knowing who is co-worker really is quite possible.

If the girl cares about remaining unknown, 200 Baht will change her hair, change her nickname from Lek to Om and she is a new girl, would you spot her in a line up?

I tip when I want, and I would not not appreciate a bottle on my head if not doing it.

However, I think, this is not the entire story...

I agree.

When you think about it, how often do you hear of a case like this, where someone gets clobbered by a BG over 20 baht ?

How ever, I have seen girls get quite riled up when someone mistreats them, or even when someone makes a rude comment about them. In January I saw a service girl try to smack a guy that groped her breasts. She was livid. The guy just sneered at her and told her "I could buy 50 just like you". :o

How ever, I don't think a long serving German police officer would readily admit that he had acted inappropriately in any way. Bad for the reputation and all.