Is This Possible

My UK wife & I have been to Thailand many times for holidays & now having reached 50 we would like to explore the possiblity of retiring here but my wife is a little more cautious than myself.

I have suggested that we get 1 year multi entry 'O' visa here in the UK & come to Thailand & have a look around and to get a more hands on feel for living here and the after about 8 months if everything working out fine, transfere 800,000 baht (each) into our Thai bank account & then apply to immigration for an extention of stay based on retirement after the

money has been in the account for 3 months. Is it OK to do this or is there a better or another way?

We would be going the lump sum route rather than the pension and thats the main reason why she wants to have a better feel for living here before transfereing the money as she is concerned that they may be some difficulty either tranfering the residual money back to the Uk if things didn't work out.

I'm under the belief that there should be no problem if you can prove the money came from abroad, am I correct?

Any help/comments would be appreciated

Regards, Spiritman

There are many roads you could travel but your wifes idea seems sound - living her full time may not be the vacation you expect and nothing lost if you decide to leave. If you are legally married you only need one deposit of 800k and the spouse receives a matching extension of stay without any financial requirement. But some officers may want the 800k to be in the retirement extension persons name only.

You could also do the process in the UK with the money staying in the UK for the first year. It requires a little more paperwork and probably have to work with London Embassy but not a problem as you are in the UK anyhow - that way you enter Thailand and receive a one year permitted to stay at opening bell - no reason you can not change your mind at any time and no bank account required.

Money that has been wire transfered in should not be a problem sending out.

There are many roads you could travel but your wifes idea seems sound - living her full time may not be the vacation you expect and nothing lost if you decide to leave. If you are legally married you only need one deposit of 800k and the spouse receives a matching extension of stay without any financial requirement. But some officers may want the 800k to be in the retirement extension persons name only.

You could also do the process in the UK with the money staying in the UK for the first year. It requires a little more paperwork and probably have to work with London Embassy but not a problem as you are in the UK anyhow - that way you enter Thailand and receive a one year permitted to stay at opening bell - no reason you can not change your mind at any time and no bank account required.

Money that has been wire transfered in should not be a problem sending out.

Many thanks for your sound advice lopburi3

Regards, Spiritman

Edited by Spiritman