Booster Jab

lelapin

I live in Pattaya but I had my 2 AstraZeneca  vaccination jabs in Bangkok with the 2nd one taking place on 25th September. I would like to have my Moderna booster given in Pattaya and was looking for info. as to when and where I could book an appointment for this and also to know if it is still necessary to wait 6 months after my 2nd jab before I can have it.

• Like 1

My 2nd AstraZeneca was September 23. I've just been informed today by BKK hospital BKK that their Moderna booster interval guideline has been changed to 3-6 months after 2nd AstraZeneca. Apparently the W.H.O. has made the change. So I'm considering getting mine in late December rather than booked March. You can do the same check with them....

2 hours ago, supersomchai said:

Many people paid for moderna

vaccinations at bangkok pattaya hospital and are still waiting for their first jab ( my thai wife included as she didnt want any sinovac shots).

Anyone heard any more when they are coming ☹️

All of the Moderna ordered for this year is already here.  They had been booking Moderna in advance assuming they were getting 5 million doses this year.  They only received about 1.9 million doses.  So it is way over sold.  Thonburi Medical group had advance bookings for about 386,000 people.  They went up to 150,000 people getting shots this year.  So lots of people are still waiting in line.  I imagine every private hospital has the same situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, rwill said:

So lots of people are still waiting in line.  I imagine every private hospital has the same situation.

Seeing reports of walk-ins, or very short (a few days wait-times).

Probably highly location dependent.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1242350-just-got-my-3rd-booster-moderna-vaccine-at-bangkok-hospital-in-bangkok-today/?tab=comments#comment-17035417

Praram 9 Hospital (Bangkok) might have some extra?

21 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

My 2nd AstraZeneca was September 23. I've just been informed today by BKK hospital BKK that their Moderna booster interval guideline has been changed to 3-6 months after 2nd AstraZeneca. Apparently the W.H.O. has made the change. So I'm considering getting mine in late December rather than booked March. You can do the same check with them....

I'm skeptical of that. Do you have a link? All I'm reading says wait 6 months after the second AZ jab if you got two AZ jabs and that its a much reduced benefit if you don't. Many in Thailand got Sino then AZ so it might be different for them.

Also why not a Pfizer booster after two AZ? I think thats more standard internationally than Moderna.

You can also boost two AZ with a third AZ but mixing with an mRNA is probably better.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm skeptical of that. Do you have a link? All I'm reading says wait 6 months after the second AZ jab if you got two AZ jabs and that its a much reduced benefit if you don't. Many in Thailand got Sino then AZ so it might be different for them.

Also why not a Pfizer booster after two AZ? I think thats more standard internationally than Moderna.

You can also boost two AZ with a third AZ but mixing with an mRNA is probably better.

I've read a viral vector booster is not recommended after 2 viral vectors if mRNA is available. I don't have a link, its on the BKK hospital BKK website ( phone call as well ) chart regarding booster interval changed after 2nd AZ to 3-6 months, the W.H.O.  made the change, can google it.... Pfizer booster would be fine after 2 AZ, BKK hospital deals with Moderna ( bought through shopee ). 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

BPH is beginning to take bookings for boosters at Central Festival via Thailand intervac

I had 2 Pfizer vaccines the U.K., I am due a booster, I emailed BPH the other day, this was their reply,

Further to your inquiry, please be informed that registration for Moderna vaccine is currently available in our hospital. You can have it for your booster shot. The registration is currently open and the vaccine will be distributed approximately between January to March 2022.

6 hours ago, supersomchai said:

Many people paid for moderna

vaccinations at bangkok pattaya hospital and are still waiting for their first jab ( my thai wife included as she didnt want any sinovac shots).

Anyone heard any more when they are coming ☹️

The first group of Moderna queurers are being vaccinated now but whether they have enough doses for the whole group is doubtful. When did she book? 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Ive had 2 AZ and will get a booster AZ. Why risk anything. AZ has worked for me so far. I will NOT be mixing and matching

• Thanks 1

I am in Pattaya, have had 2 free AZ as well, the 2nd was at the end of Sept.

i am waiting for free 3rd shot.so far this is what I can find:

https://app.dtac.co.th/vaccine/index-en.html

I am not eligible yet. July 31 to Dec is only over 4 months, hope I get my 3rd in Feb.

Screenshot 2021-12-11 075903.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 1:20 PM, CANSIAM said:

I've read a viral vector booster is not recommended after 2 viral vectors if mRNA is available. I don't have a link, its on the BKK hospital BKK website ( phone call as well ) chart regarding booster interval changed after 2nd AZ to 3-6 months, the W.H.O.  made the change, can google it.... Pfizer booster would be fine after 2 AZ, BKK hospital deals with Moderna ( bought through shopee ). 

Seems like it is all a big experiment of mix match shots, 2 shots, booster shots. everyone seems to be throwing out opinions what can work but it seems none work properly long term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this has been posted before, but for those intending to use 'Moderna' for a booster, I noticed this advice on the NHS website :-

"Studies have shown that you only need a half dose of Moderna to boost the immune system well. This half dose of Moderna is expected to have low rate of side effects including myocarditis."

I'm hoping for a booster and will make sure it's a half dose myself. ATB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

Seems like it is all a big experiment of mix match shots, 2 shots, booster shots. everyone seems to be throwing out opinions what can work but it seems none work properly long term.

Yeah an ongoing experiment, just like the 12 week wait between AZ jabs was probably not necessary...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Sorry if this has been posted before, but for those intending to use 'Moderna' for a booster, I noticed this advice on the NHS website :-

"Studies have shown that you only need a half dose of Moderna to boost the immune system well. This half dose of Moderna is expected to have low rate of side effects including myocarditis."

I'm hoping for a booster and will make sure it's a half dose myself. ATB

An OP posted here he obtained a Moderna booster in Canada and it was 50% dose ( after 2 AZ ), I'll find out Dec. 28 here in bkk.....

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

The 12 weeks between vaccinations was introduced in the U.K. so more people could receive their first vaccination.

What is the 2 AZ interval now ? or maybe 2 AZ is hard to get now, here anyhow.......

On 12/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, jack71 said:

Ive had 2 AZ and will get a booster AZ. Why risk anything. AZ has worked for me so far. I will NOT be mixing and matching

According to the results of the Cov-boost study done with over 3,000 participants in the UK, an mRNA booster gives the biggest increase in antibody levels, no matter what your first two doses were.

Those boosted with Pfizer after two doses of AstraZeneca had antibody levels a month later nearly 25 times higher than controls. 

[...]

The most potent booster in the study was a full dose of the Moderna vaccine, which raised antibody levels 32-fold in the AstraZeneca group and 11-fold in the Pfizer group.

Coronavirus Covid booster shots significantly strengthen immunity

In the same study, those that got a third AZ dose as a booster experienced only a 3-fold increase in antibody levels.

• Like 1

GVH - all good - but just to mention again that the NHS, FWIW, recommend only a 50% dose if Moderna is the booster, because of side effects . . . .

Certainly, Pfizer and 50% Moderna seem to be much the best boosters, with AZ discounted for this purpose ? 

The UK govt has changed its stance on boosters, now telling people to get theirs 3 months after the 2nd one, not 6 as before. The NHS have just emailed me asking me to get my booster ASAP and I only had my 2nd Pfizer 4 and a half months ago. Sadly I'm back in Bkk so I can't take advantage of their kind offer!
Out of interest does anyone know if I'm entitled to get a booster here (preferably Pfizer)? I'm 66yo and had 2 Pfizers in the UK so there won't be any record of me having any jabs here if they do ask me - though I had to prove I was double jabbed when I returned to Thailand in October.
Hmm, tricky

Edited by pomozki
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

GVH - all good - but just to mention again that the NHS, FWIW, recommend only a 50% dose if Moderna is the booster, because of side effects . . . .

In the U.S. the half dose (50 uG, 0.25 mL) Moderna booster is for those already 2x fully dosed (100 uG, 0.50 mL) with Moderna, or fully dosed following completion of primary vaccination with another authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine.

I'm still not clear what dosage is being used here (iun Thailand) for a Moderna booster? I suspect it's a full dose, but could be wrong.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-10-20-21/02-COVID-Miller-508.pdf

Note that for immunocompromised individuals a full dose booster is recommended.

modernaboosterusa.jpg

3 minutes ago, pomozki said:

Hmm, tricky

Maybe intervac?

https://www.thailandintervac.com/

Hospitals in which Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Sinovac vaccines can be pre-registered include:
- Vimut Hospital, Bangkok Click  Pfizer Only
- Samithivej Sriracha Hospital, Chonburi 
- Bangkok-Khon Kaen Hospital, Khon Kaen Click
- MedPark Hospital, Bangkok Click ????NEW
- Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, Chonburi Click ????NEW

But you'll have to obfuscate your vaccination history?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

Maybe intervac?

https://www.thailandintervac.com/

Hospitals in which Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Sinovac vaccines can be pre-registered include:
- Vimut Hospital, Bangkok Click  Pfizer Only
- Samithivej Sriracha Hospital, Chonburi 
- Bangkok-Khon Kaen Hospital, Khon Kaen Click
- MedPark Hospital, Bangkok Click ????NEW
- Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, Chonburi Click ????NEW

But you'll have to obfuscate your vaccination history?

many thanks. I'll contact them. My only worry is that hospitals usually ask to see your passport when you register - mine will show I re-entered Thailand 6 weeks ago. They might well suspect I got back in cos I was double jabbed? Not informing them of my prior jabs could cause a problem if they ask awkward questions and find out the truth!

6 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to the results of the Cov-boost study done with over 3,000 participants in the UK, an mRNA booster gives the biggest increase in antibody levels, no matter what your first two doses were.

Coronavirus Covid booster shots significantly strengthen immunity

In the same study, those that got a third AZ dose as a booster experienced only a 3-fold increase in antibody levels.

thanks for the info. 

I have heart issues and think that I cannot have an Mrna jab. I hope this doesnt ultimately doesnt mean I succumb to the dreaded chinese virus.