Virologist cautions against possible reinfection of immune escape Omicron variant

webfact

73ff644b7bbc8afe661943c5ba46bd1e_small.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - A Thai virologist has shared new information and his insights regarding the Omicron Covid variant, suggesting that the new variant could spread twice as fast as the Delta variant, while the immunity from previous infection or available vaccines may not be able to prevent reinfection.

Dr. Yong Poovorawan, head of the Center of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, posted new information regarding the Omicron COVID-19 variant, suggesting higher transmissibility and better immune escape potential of this new strain. In his post, Dr. Yong confirmed this new variant seems to be spreading at least twice as fast compared to the Delta variant, as shown from newer cases now being reported in some 50 countries since it was first identified in South Africa. It is likely that this variant will eventually become the global dominant strain.

On the immune escape ability, Dr. Yong said some of the Omicron infections are among fully vaccinated people and those having already recovered from the previous infection, which means immunity from available vaccines and previous infections may not be as robust in protecting against infection and reinfection, however cases among immunized people were mostly mild and asymptomatic, suggesting that the vaccines available today are effective in preventing severe symptoms.

Dr. Yong further elaborated that most Omicron cases outside Africa are mild and asymptomatic, while a preliminary report from Africa shows almost half of Omicron patients are asymptomatic, with the remaining cases showing only minor symptoms.

He said a thorough contact tracing could become less necessary, as the disease would eventually become similar to other respiratory diseases that mainly affect children with no immunity, who will later develop immunity from natural infection and experience no symptoms when contracting the virus again.

Dr. Yong said the disease would no longer be a pressing issue among healthy people, but still poses some concerns among those at risk and unhealthy people.

More information about this new variant will soon be unraveled as scientific studies are being conducted around the world.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

nnt.jpg

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

My thoughts : Omicron will end the pandemic in a few months as it replaces Delta.

I give it 3 months max then it's over and that's me being a pessimist.

My thoughts exactly, as for 3 months, well I don't know about that with everyone masking up, sanitizing and staying away from others, e.g. kind of hard to catch the ball if your not on the field so to speak, that said the sooner this spreads, the better we all hope as we are all looking forward to getting back to life as we knew it.

The above said, I can't see life returning to normal for a long time as the paranoia will always be there, people still wearing masks, sanitizing and staying away from crowds, hmmm, looking back having moved to this country 6 years ago and away from the big smoke might have been an omen for me, no complaints here ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A Thai virologist has shared new information and his insights regarding the Omicron Covid variant, suggesting that the new variant could spread twice as fast as the Delta variant, while the immunity from previous infection or available vaccines may not be able to prevent reinfection.

So he's spouting what he's heard from around the globe...

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

My thoughts exactly, as for 3 months, well I don't know about that with everyone masking up, sanitizing and staying away from others, e.g. kind of hard to catch the ball if your not on the field so to speak, that said the sooner this spreads, the better we all hope as we are all looking forward to getting back to life as we knew it.

The above said, I can't see life returning to normal for a long time as the paranoia will always be there, people still wearing masks, sanitizing and staying away from crowds, hmmm, looking back having moved to this country 6 years ago and away from the big smoke might have been an omen for me, no complaints here ????

Normal will be redefined.  I am not sure how, but I suspect we will see masks for a long time.  We will be somewhat suspicious of people we don't know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Probably be using the next letter in the Greek Alphabet before much longer, likely before I get my booster in 3 months. Going to be a lot of varients before this is over, if ever it is.

After 'O' for Omicron comes 'P' for Prayuth?

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

My thoughts : Omicron will end the pandemic in a few months as it replaces Delta.

I give it 3 months max then it's over and that's me being a pessimist.

That doesn't seem very profitable.  You should expect a new 3-dose series provided by Pfizer to provide protection.

• Like 1

I am so lucky to have all the experts on this forum. In April 2022 the pandemic that is still killing lots of people around the world may be over. At least that is by some of their estimates.

I guess I can start to plan my travel to Thailand in next December.  Yay! Yahoo, and Whoopie!

Actually I am seriously hoping that 2023 will be the year of recovery for most of the planet.

"if you need to be right before you move you will never win" Michael Ryan (WHO Health Emergency Programme) am 13.3.2020

Yes we all know their are indications this may be milder but hospitals in SA are filling up that is a fact, there are deaths and there is a spike in excess deaths since Omicron arrived. So while lets all hope these initial and small study samples of the "mild narrative" are correct it does not mean you do not prepare for something worse.

The 4 latest trials from Pfizer indicate that a 3rd booster shot of their vaccine will bring the levels back up to the equivalent as 2 were for the delta variant. Very good news but those boosters are the first and strongest line of defense.

Border closures are not relevant as it will arrive anyway but Thailand's vaccine roll out was initially all Sinovac, Sinopharm and AZ. No studies have been done of them but we know their effectiveness will also decrease materially.

Boosters is the only way to protect the over 60's and vulnerable and certainly not waiting for the 6 months gap for them but giving everybody who wants them now. If you choose not to up to you but the availability should be there for all and right now, not when its too late.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

I am so lucky to have all the experts on this forum. In April 2022 the pandemic that is

still killing lots of people around the world may be over. At least that is by some of their estimates.

I guess I can start to plan my travel to Thailand in next December.  Yay! Yahoo, and Whoopie!

Actually I am seriously hoping that 2023 will be the year of recovery for most of the planet.

Then we'll be blessed with a new type of virus

It ends when we're all wiped out

32 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

I hope everyone gets Omicron.  Let the human immune system do what it's built to do and finally eradicate this virus instead of chasing it with EUA 'vaccines' which promote immune escape because they don't stop transmission or contagion.  Yes, it's more transmissible but less virulent which tends to be the life-cycle of viruses in the wild when man doesn't play God.  However, if a 'sterilizing' Covid vaccine is ever released, I'll be in line to take it.  But there are no sterilizing Covid vaccines in existence at the moment.

Wow. I am really shocked how much misinformation you can fit into one post.

Are you really that poorly educated, or are you joking with us?

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1

Yes if Omicron is in Thailand it will very quickly replace delta as most common variant, and yes, going from reports serious illness is rare but, if it gets to a lot of people and it will, a small percentage of a lot of people getting seriously is still a huge problem for healthcare and hospital staff.

As far as is being reported, only 3 shots of vax like Pfizer will stop it, it will blow through the chinavax like a a fart through wet tissue paper, so an awful lot of people in Thailand are vulnerable

On 12/8/2021 at 5:52 PM, arithai12 said:

What new information exactly?

I wonder when does he have time to do his job as virologist, if he's constantly posting and sharing.

Same could be said of Fauchi. Turn on the TV, he's there with a never ending change of what he's said before.... never really challenged on his past pronouncements, or revisions of what he really meant.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:39 AM, drenddy said:

Would you please be kind and stop posting news about this no name virologist, who only repeats headlines from western media?

As a thai he will only repeat what someone else says first. If he went first then he might be wrong and lose face.

Then if it turns out to be wrong he can blame the other guy...