Possible retirement non-o extension refusal

Hi gurus.

I went to jomtien immigration yesterday to do my 1st non-o based on retirement extension. The "helper" outside who filled out the tm7 and did all the necessary photocopies suggested that I may have a problem, because I had used an agent for the initial visa. That seemed to be linked to the fact that my passbook showed a same day 900,000 baht deposit and withdrawal just over a year ago when I 1st got the visa (I did not have 800,000 baht in my bank at that time!). I have, since February 2020 kept more than 800,000 baht in the bank.

When I presented the paperwork at the counter, it appeared to be okay, and I paid the 1,900 baht fee, and was told to come back on Monday. 

However, I was then also given an appointment for 07 March 2022 (3 months from now), saying that I needed to show an updated copy of my passbook showing that I still have a minimum of 800,000 baht in the bank, although it seems that it is normal to have to do that on the 1st extension?

My question though is what happens if the extension is not granted? How long will I have before having to leave?

• Like 1

OP, you have your extension. It's done.

The 3 month report back to show bank balance is just a Jomtien nonsense. 

Recent reports that basically not required. Your bankbook will be checked when you apply for your next extension and will show you maintained the 800k for 3 months etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Recent reports that basically not required. Your bankbook will be checked when you apply for your next extension and will show you maintained the 800k for 3 months etc.

Thanks

15 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

because I had used an agent for the initial visa. That seemed to be linked to the fact that my passbook showed a same day 900,000 baht deposit and withdrawal just over a year ago when I 1st got the visa

So, the agent deposited and withdrew his own money on the same day? And that passed the sniff test at Immigration, even tho' the required two months on deposit time frame was not met? Oh yeah, I forgot -- the brown envelope. Just wish agents could brown envelope the required Thai insurance for OA extensions -- my LMG insruance, age 77, was 16,900 baht this year -- with the new Covid coverage mandate, the cost will be 69,000 baht next year. Would gladly share the bulk of that with an agent who could work the insurance angle with Immigration. Sigh.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes as this time i asked explicit what the consequenses would be if some would not do .....

Answer from the outboard desk 8 guy at Jomtien ...." no consequenses..! " only some blblabla  to keep our application valid by advising ...????????

I did always the 90 day money check but this time i had to que for 1 hour outside in covid times so i wished to find out ....

so now we know it has no consequenses.

But keep aware 90 days is not same as 3 months the money must be kept at 800k  , as written in police order concerning this rule!

Dont give them a chance to nail you !

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

If they ask you to do it, do it.  These people can be petty and <deleted> your life up if they think you're not respecting their authority.

southpark-cartman.gif

i always went before and now on  22 Nov. , normally i can go straight inside to desk 8 with priority  , no wait even when applicants sitting , quick check and i can go 2 minute max .

But now standing 1 hour in a covid time que  ...., i would like know the consequences if not doing.....  that is why i asked , NO consequences was the answer from outboard guy ! I was surprised too ! if not doing 90 day check , that is why some do not get that paper ...., (i asked for it when doing my ret ext. at 22 August as i thought they forgot.)

I always did before as  told , but because that 1 hour que  i would really know ..... up to each own  , i would do also  if no que  , but now i know  no fine or anything else  , so can not say more than what desk 8 officer  answered  on my direct question.

But do not risk to take out money before 3 months  or 91/93 days are passed  , as a matter i took out few days more  at 95 days  , just to be sure ????

Edited by david555

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You should do the bank report in three months as ordered.

While in itself it is correct to follow your local immigration office requests , how do they know if you did the 3 month bank report ?

I did that on my two extensions after this " rule " was introduced , and both times the IO just looked at it and said okay.

There was no record made in my passport and they did not keep any of the paperwork .

Just to add , this was not in Jomtien.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Which immigration office.

So to be clear ....you were told to return 3 months after your extension approved.

Ratchaburi.

On my first Two extensions , Yes. but I have just done my third and nobody mentioned it.

But I also know that people using the same office were not asked after their Second ext.

It is all a bit hit and miss I'm afraid.

2 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Ratchaburi.

On my first Two extensions , Yes. but I have just done my third and nobody mentioned it.

But I also know that people using the same office were not asked after their Second ext.

It is all a bit hit and miss I'm afraid.

Same type of reports from Jomtien. Some folk actually asking for the "report back 3 months slip" as io not providing it.

Also report above in this thread.

The thing is it was a nonsense game that Jomtien and couple of other imm offices played. 

Seems they are getting bored of it. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NE1 said:

While in itself it is correct to follow your local immigration office requests , how do they know if you did the 3 month bank report ?

I did that on my two extensions after this " rule " was introduced , and both times the IO just looked at it and said okay.

There was no record made in my passport and they did not keep any of the paperwork .

I wouldn't do it unless formally ordered. I have been and do report at Jomtien. Jomtien does keep the paper but no receipt. I would not and would not suggest reporting if not given the order paper.

The OP was ordered. He should comply.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

This time even didn't check the copy's , nor my bankbook , nor my passport i presented them , and he said  i have your copy's ..... just put it beside

Those under Jomtien ...., if not believe my post , just ask them yourself  when you go do your 90 day money check ....., just ask straight  "what if i don't do this 90 day money check ?"  ..... 

So you can have the answer 

PS  i don't have nothing against doing it(did many times already ) , but liked it to know if it is followed up ....

Edited by david555

They've granted your extension, but considering you fudged your first one using someone else's money you shouldn't be surprised they want to check it's yours this time. 

Just show your bank statement as requested. 

The changes a couple of years ago, involving closer scrutiny of money in the bank, were mainly initiated because of the type of ploy you used the first time. After these changes some offices did check a few applicants, but it seems to have largely stopped now. (extra non-productive work for IOs?) 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:07 AM, JimGant said:

So, the agent deposited and withdrew his own money on the same day? And that passed the sniff test at Immigration, even tho' the required two months on deposit time frame was not met? Oh yeah, I forgot -- the brown envelope. Just wish agents could brown envelope the required Thai insurance for OA extensions -- my LMG insruance, age 77, was 16,900 baht this year -- with the new Covid coverage mandate, the cost will be 69,000 baht next year. Would gladly share the bulk of that with an agent who could work the insurance angle with Immigration. Sigh.

but then you would have no insurance is something happened.

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

but then you would have no insurance is something happened.

I guess you haven't been following this subject, but many of us have home country insurance that's wildly better than those of the mandated 13 Thai insurance companies. My insurance, Tricare, has no cap, no precondition exclusion, and is backed by the full faith of the US Treasury. Why would the Thai authorities not allow this insurance to meet their concern about retirees not able to pay their hospital bills? Oh, yeah -- if they did that, these scam Thai insurance companies wouldn't get their ill gotten premiums from this select group (OA visas) of retirees. And you just know some of this premium money is lining some government pockets.

And if the Thai government sincerely wanted a guarantee that indigent foreign retirees could pay their bills, the latest premium schedule for LMG (one of the 13 Thai insurance companies on the TGIA list) has a one million baht deductible scheme! No problem for those indigents, right? And for this unneeded insurance, with the one million deductible, I'll have the privilege of paying a 69,000 baht premium. Argh!!!

The representative of the US military, JUSMAGTHAI, has tried to get the Thais to see the reality of Tricare. Naaaa. That would dry up a very lucrative source of funds:

JUSMAGTHAI and U.S. Embassy staff diligently worked the health insurance coverage issue with the Royal Thai Government (RTG) on behalf of U.S. military retirees to request that the RTG accept TRICARE via blanket authorization. Unfortunately, the Royal Thai Government will not give blanket authorization for TRICARE even though TRICARE is recognized as being far superior to locally available health insurance products.

http://www.jusmagthai.com/medical.html

You would hope someone with more leverage than JUSMAGTHAI would make known the US's dissatisfaction with the Thais stiffing retired US servicemen -- with maybe a little quid pro quo involved.....