Derogatory Or Not?

smartecosse

Is the word "Paki" derogatory  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I love Americans. Love everywhere I've been and worked there. Sorry, NR, but the Brits do look down on us folks from the colonies. I know. I worked with Brits for several years.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Do you mean ALL Brits (BTW is Brit derogatory?) look down on colonials or just the ones you worked with? I don't look down on Yanks (I've only ever met one Canadian - not enough to form an opinion :o ) I spent some time in various parts of the US and found that almost all (there's always an as*hole wherever you go) of the people I met were unfailingly kind and generous.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love Americans. Love everywhere I've been and worked there. Sorry, NR, but the Brits do look down on us folks from the colonies. I know. I worked with Brits for several years.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Do you mean ALL Brits (BTW is Brit derogatory?) look down on colonials or just the ones you worked with? I don't look down on Yanks (I've only ever met one Canadian - not enough to form an opinion :o ) I spent some time in various parts of the US and found that almost all (there's always an as*hole wherever you go) of the people I met were unfailingly kind and generous.

:D I know many Brits, but find they immediately categorise me when they hear me speak (bladdy yank; I pick up on these twitches of demeanour). I found the Brits in Thailand often to be very cliquish, too, when they are in groups. I do have more of an American accent as I was raised in Alberta (Canada), even though I have tried to correct my enunciation. Guess all cowboys and girls have the same twang. Better than a Newfie accent tho, IMO. I think it's an underlying Brit trait that they think people from the colonies are not quite as good or proper as they are. Come on, admit it!

Nevertheless, LannareB said it best. I don't give a ###, either.

They say "bluddy yank" where I come from.

I think you've been mixing with some iffy Londoners.

That's probably the answer to JG's question. She's been hanging around with the jellied eel mob :o

Hm interesting I dont watch much tv in the Uk but it just happened to be on Big Brother (honest I wasnt watching honest honest) tv programme which I find drivel but one woman on there said the word "nigger" and was evicted as the rules say that they cant say anything which some people may find offensive.

Strangely they can say <deleted> and frequently do and its ok??????? go figure??

:o But they told me they went to Oxford. And two girls said they were from Essex. That's the same place, right, near the Tames River?

Oxford what, JG? Oxford St. on a shopping spree?

Essex is an overflow for iffy Londoners.

Anyway, now I know they were iffy because they told you to spell Tames without an H.

:o But they told me they went to Oxford. And two girls said they were from Essex. That's the same place, right, near the Tames River?

Oxford what, JG? Oxford St. on a shopping spree?

Essex is an overflow for iffy Londoners.

Anyway, now I know they were iffy because they told you to spell Tames without an H.

Of course, Qwertz, they taught us to say Tames not Thames, that's why I misspelt it thus. Tho it should be Tems. Oh, and Oxford St has lousy shops; I only shopped in Knightsbridge.

Don't the British refer to the American English language at "Basta*d" English? If so, that is a rather nice glimpse of how the British feel about America or Americans in genearal.

That ok with me, because I have my own views too regarding the british English usage.

Ta Ta

Don't the British refer to the American English language at "Basta*d" English? If so, that is a rather nice glimpse of how the British feel about America or Americans in genearal.

That ok with me, because I have my own views too regarding the british English usage.

Ta Ta

How lovely for you.

Everyone from every class or strata of society will find someone to look down on. I bet even the "untouchables" in India have someone they can rag on...

Paki is definitely a derogatory word and anybody caught using it is obviously a racist. Absolutely no room on this forum for people like that.

Sadly 45% of the votes show that there is plenty of room on this forum for "people like that"!! :o !!

I would suggest that it matters whether the name is used with pride by the people concerned to refer to themselves, or it's used purely by others, to label them.

For example Australians are proud, in my experience, to call themselves Aussies. And why not ? Good-on-yer mates ! :o

Also , I am proud to be called a Brit, or a Pom where it is used in a friendly way, but never a whinging-Pom. So the intention of the user, to give a friendly label rather than a put-down, is also important.

I would therefore use 'British Asian' or 'Black' but never 'Paki' or 'Nigger'. :D

I am still undecided - where 'Farang' lies, in all this.

Hey torito, I don't mind being called a gringo.

In fact, people can call me what they like, so long as ii's in time for dinner. :o

Excuse me Mr. Qwertz, but yours is a common response from a person who enjoys "white privilege".

Ta Ta

How lovely for you.

Everyone from every class or strata of society will find someone to look down on. I bet even the "untouchables" in India have someone they can rag on...

Mmmm.

It seems to me that our cousins from across the Atlantic (is that term acceptable?) who have such a problem with "all" Brits looking down on them might have a bit of a chip on their shoulders that makes them perceive things in that light. If you expect to see something, you can go searching for signs that you are right in that expectation.

As for the English language, or specifically the American version of it, Brits would tend to use the term "bastardised", not "bastard" - subtle difference in meaning. Whatever your views on British English, Dakhar, you have to remember it did evolve (from many other languages, brought in mainly by being conquered & living with occupying forces for much of our early history) in England (not even in Britain, as Celtic & Gaelic were used in the other British countries). So, British English is the earliest & thus original form of the English language.

Actually, they do. They are known as the Nepalese.

When we were working in Kabul, we had a mixed crew of Nepalese and Indians working for us. All of the Indians, regardless of what caste they came from, thought they were superior to the Nepalese. Yadavs and Narayans would work for each other, but none would work under a Nepalese supervisor.

Derogatory terms for other races/cultures harken back to ancient times when merely surviving from day-to-day was an iffy thing. The "us against them" mentality was needed to rally support to defend against (or to attack) other groups thought to pose a threat.

This mentality exists to this day sadly enough, where members of various races/cultures still view others as a threat to their way of lives. While it's not funny, it does seem odd though that in many of the places I've worked/lived/travelled, this attitude is only considered racist when it's spoken/demonstrated by caucasians.

When another, non-caucasian race/culture exhibits the same attitudes, they don't seem to have a problem with it (at least not on the same level as caucasian societies). I've seen racism and discrimination in Asian/Middle Eastern/European and N American countries. I've seen immigrants in Canada demonstrate racism and discrimination against other races, in Canada.

And yes, it happens in Thailand as well.

One would hope that in today's world, with the ease of travel and comunication, that the old "us against them" mentality would start to disappear, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The old ways from ancient times are still being passed from generation to generation, and it seems that in many cases, the new technologies are helping to reinforce and expand such archiac ways of thinking.

Actually, they do. They are known as the Nepalese.

When we were working in Kabul, we had a mixed crew of Nepalese and Indians working for us. All of the Indians, regardless of what caste they came from, thought they were superior to the Nepalese. Yadavs and Narayans would work for each other, but none would work under a Nepalese supervisor.

Derogatory terms for other races/cultures harken back to ancient times when merely surviving from day-to-day was an iffy thing. The "us against them" mentality was needed to rally support to defend against (or to attack) other groups thought to pose a threat.

This mentality exists to this day sadly enough, where members of various races/cultures still view others as a threat to their way of lives. While it's not funny, it does seem odd though that in many of the places I've worked/lived/travelled, this attitude is only considered racist when it's spoken/demonstrated by caucasians.

When another, non-caucasian race/culture exhibits the same attitudes, they don't seem to have a problem with it (at least not on the same level as caucasian societies). I've seen racism and discrimination in Asian/Middle Eastern/European and N American countries. I've seen immigrants in Canada demonstrate racism and discrimination against other races, in Canada.

And yes, it happens in Thailand as well.

One would hope that in today's world, with the ease of travel and comunication, that the old "us against them" mentality would start to disappear, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The old ways from ancient times are still being passed from generation to generation, and it seems that in many cases, the new technologies are helping to reinforce and expand such archiac ways of thinking.

Agreed. Amazing how the word "racist" is only ever applied to white people. It has attained a level of abhorrence that used to reserved only for the word "rapist" and is applied usually in some phoney leverage manoeouvre that could sometimes be described as reverse-racism...

I don't think the first generation of Asians into Britain (for example) minded being called a "Paki" at all. They were usually fleeing religious persecution, brutality, political repression, inhuman living conditions; etc. Guess what? Nothing has changed in their homelands since...

Boo hoo.

[

Paki is definitely a derogatory word and anybody caught using it is obviously a racist. Absolutely no room on this forum for people like that.

Sadly 45% of the votes show that there is plenty of room on this forum for "people like that"!! :o !!

I' m one of the 45% and Sir Burr calls me a OBVIOUS racist - "Bullshlt"! I can have an opinion without being one: - Poms, Kiwis, Yarpies, Cannooks, Yanks, Aussies, Pakis, etc. etc. Most all of us come from countries or areas where the citizens have a common nick name. So long as it is not prefixed with a snide remark where' s the problem?

It's either black or white, are both Paki and Aussie are acceptable or not?

Is political correctness getting out of control?

Edit: Clarity

Edited by bdenner

I don't think the first generation of Asians into Britain (for example) minded being called a "Paki" at all. They were usually fleeing religious persecution, brutality, political repression, inhuman living conditions; etc. Guess what? Nothing has changed in their homelands since...

Just curious if this assumption is based on knowledge? ie have you ever asked any Pakistani immigrants how they felt about being called "paki"?

^^ What does "yarpie" mean? I've never heard that one.
Spelling may not be 100%, it refers South Africans with a touch of Dutch decent. I won’t get into their background I just plucked that nick name out of memory an example for my opinion.

It has been suggested in another thread that calling someone from Australia an Aussie is exactly the same as calling someone from Pakistan a Paki and that this is not derogatory in any manner and that the "racism" angle exists solely in my mind.

I am interested to find out what others think.........

This guy sums it up pretty well i think !,...... Paki and Aussie, Kiwi,Limey,Yank, will they be banned/taboo next, probably, Worlds gone mad :o

post-41326-1181272337_thumb.jpg

5555 I was reading a story and the description of a perp in a crime: male. If you have seen this person, call crimewatch.

I rang a shop today about a purchase. Forgot the guy's name so I said, "the Chinese guy...oh, the Chinese Canadian guy." What, should I have said the guy without a turban that is shorter than the woman with black hair who stands behind the counter?

I equate it to Brits calling Americans "Yanks". It's not quite the nicest thing to say.

I don't think most british speaking people put any negative feelings into the word Yanks - it's just a short and convenient way of saying "a person from USA". What else would you be called? American? USA is not the only American country you know. Now when they start calling you Septic you might want to raise an eyebrow :D

Does that mean I can call a Brit a "limey"?

Yes, no problem, wouldnt bother me a bit, .ive been called a lot worse ! :o

I equate it to Brits calling Americans "Yanks". It's not quite the nicest thing to say.

I don't think most british speaking people put any negative feelings into the word Yanks - it's just a short and convenient way of saying "a person from USA". What else would you be called? American? USA is not the only American country you know. Now when they start calling you Septic you might want to raise an eyebrow :D

Does that mean I can call a Brit a "limey"?

Yes, no problem, wouldnt bother me a bit, .ive been called a lot worse ! :o

BTW, a movie with John Cleese "A Fish Called Wanda" that many of you have probably seen, has some very funny examples of stereotypical brit-bashing. Quite amusing, and nobody got their hair up about that, it was just comedy. Yank bashing is just as funny. I agree with many posters that political correctness has just run amok.

:D I know many Brits, but find they immediately categorise me when they hear me speak (bladdy yank; I pick up on these twitches of demeanour). I found the Brits in Thailand often to be very cliquish, too, when they are in groups. I do have more of an American accent as I was raised in Alberta (Canada), even though I have tried to correct my enunciation. Guess all cowboys and girls have the same twang. Better than a Newfie accent tho, IMO. I think it's an underlying Brit trait that they think people from the colonies are not quite as good or proper as they are. Come on, admit it!

Nevertheless, LannareB said it best. I don't give a ###, either.

Hey jet, i lived in cedarbrae ,calgary in the 80s, there was a pub on mccloud trail called the dirty duck, underneath it an indian restuarant,,there was me, brit,tommy, scotland,and noel, ireland, we used to play the indians at poole it was " the brits versus the colonies " and they loved it.it was great fun and no one got offended,. it aint what you say, its how you say it,. :D

Ta Ta

How lovely for you.

Mmmm.

It seems to me that our cousins from across the Atlantic (is that term acceptable?) who have such a problem with "all" Brits looking down on them might have a bit of a chip on their shoulders that makes them perceive things in that light. If you expect to see something, you can go searching for signs that you are right in that expectation.

As for the English language, or specifically the American version of it, Brits would tend to use the term "bastardised", not "bastard" - subtle difference in meaning. Whatever your views on British English, Dakhar, you have to remember it did evolve (from many other languages, brought in mainly by being conquered & living with occupying forces for much of our early history) in England (not even in Britain, as Celtic & Gaelic were used in the other British countries). So, British English is the earliest & thus original form of the English language.

I'm sorry NM, but I really have to take exception to your comment. I am amazed that while English society is capable of some of the most virulent forms of anti-American bashing, many can STILL blame us for it or condescendingly remark that it is our "chip."

This denial to me is no different than white people who deny obvious patterns of racism to people of color and tell them they are "overreacting." Anti-american bashing is EVERYWHERE in English society: in your media (please refer to a newspaper poll last year in which an overwhelming majority of the English public voted Americans to be "vulgar" among other things; openly condescending remarks that I have heard even on serious news shows on the BBC; go back and read comments on this forum or any other in which Americans and English interact, and then take your own tally on who is harboring the chips.

I have met and known a lot of English friends, many of whom I still count as such, but I am pretty much fed up with blatant English superiority trips and their lack of responsibility for it.

I have met and known a lot of English friends, many of whom I still count as such, but I am pretty much fed up with blatant English superiority trips and their lack of responsibility for it.

Have you ever thought why we English have these 'superiority trips'? It is because we are!

What about "<deleted>" never hear that saying used any more. (rightly so I might add)

my mate, the short tongued lumberjack utters it at least a 100 times daily!

:o

Edited by highchol