Wiring shed question

Kenny202

Probably a question for Crossy. Doing a small kiosk / shed for my wife's restaurant. Running power to the shed (small distance no voltage drop issues) and wondering what cable to use. Max demand very low, the only major appliances will be a small fridge. The rest a couple of LED fluros and a few outlets for phone chargers, a fan etc. All cooking, heating etc done with gas. Nothing much at all. Will have a main switch / CB of course before power goes into the shed. Just wondering what sort of cable I should use? As you know back home we use 2.5mm for power and 1.5mm for lights. Really we are just moving power from the old shed to the new and looks like old she wired in 1mm for lights and power. 

What cable would you suggest Crossy? And what size breaker? I don't think I'll worry about a power and light circuit.

Just have everything going through the one breaker. 

What's the actual power demand for the kiosk? Cable routing (suspended overhead, underground, something else).

For a typical coffee kiosk I'd be running 2.5mm2 on a 20A breaker protected at the supply end by an RCD (combine both functions in an RCBO). You can then have a "garage" consumer unit in the kiosk for lights and power.

You would be best running 2-core and placing a ground rod at the kiosk (making it a TT island), saves a bit of $$ on cable too.

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

What's the actual power demand for the kiosk? Cable routing (suspended overhead, underground, something else).

For a typical coffee kiosk I'd be running 2.5mm2 on a 20A breaker protected at the supply end by an RCD (combine both functions in an RCBO). You can then have a "garage" consumer unit in the kiosk for lights and power.

You would be best running 2-core and placing a ground rod at the kiosk (making it a TT island), saves a bit of $$ on cable too.

Funny you say that Crossy, just went out and bought the stuff and did exactly as you said lol....to a tee. I had 2.5mm twin at home. It's so small I thought it was less than 1mm 5555. Must be great insulation! Thanks mate

• Like 1