Thailand set to approve Special Tourist Visa for digital nomads

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, robsamui said:

Old Chinese proverb - "When the boat is on fire, worms of despair crawl out from the wood".

Judging from the record number of evasions, contradictions, inconsistencies and just plain idiotic statements that have been uttered by Thai government representatives this year, the boat of Thailand must be already well-ablaze.

An other old Chinese one - when the boat is sinking the rats are leaving.

15 hours ago, mockingbird said:

A special tourist visa that gives a 90 day stay and can be extended twice to give 270 days.

....so he's basically touting a visa that already exists.

Yes, and probably not convertible to another type of visa, the 60 day was suspended during lockdown but looks like it's back modified to 90 day's, if its simple to get and entry requirements are not to bad then it will be good, but as everyone says, wait for the conditions. 

16 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

You forgot the Graduate Degree, the proof in x-amount of income, and whatever other nonsense that they can dream up to make this unusable for any real digital nomad.

As someone with a degree and by most people's standards, a pretty high income, this might let the company HR department allow me to work from our house in Thailand for a few months, rather than only allow me to work from our house in London. (Covid means I haven't been in the office since last February).

i.e. The issue isn't my ability to work from Thailand (I did that for a while when I was a contractor). The issue would be the company not having a local tax liability from my working in Thailand (for an office elsewhere) now that I'm an employee.

Edited by bkk_mike
Added info

Jeez, not another type of 'visa' to add to  the plethora......

For so many years they added rules and restrictions to those we already had (ie restricted extensions to TVs and Exempts and the time people could spend in LOS on these, not to mention Non-Imm-O changes)....Then we got Covid and in an attempt to boost tourism new Visas were created.... 

Hard to keep track......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomster said:

Crumbling infrastructure...? Where? Thailand is investing heavily in infrastructure. 

No. They are investing heavily in the Military.  

Edited by Jerno
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

They are missing the boat with digital nomads.

easy solution is that you say that they have to be here a year and get a tax id and pay taxes on funds they earn while here.  Not sure how that would work with the U.S. but it would pose interesting thoughts for some countries because a lot of the time you can only be taxed in one country can you not.

put a minimum earnings level of lets say 1.2  million baht they have to claim and pay tax on and it makes the country a little pocket change and for renewal all you have to show is your tax return and the paid slip that goes with it.

People can already do that through a few private companies in Thailand, by paying their own salary + a fee to those companies. The minimum salary for most nationalities is 50,000 Baht, but the service is costly as you basically have to rent office space, even if you don't use it. That means the tax rate paid is rather low, or even nil for people planning to stay long term as they can take tax deductions with some small long term investments. If the government could do this through a public/private entity that could be good (for nomads) and generate a bit more income for the government, but I don't think anything significant...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spongeman said:

I bet you will have to show tax returns to Immigration, and pay tax to the Thai Revenue before renewal.

We might go back to having to show all taxes paid on exit if stayed more than 180 days - all of us. All those volunteering for the Thai authorities to tax them in return for a DN visa, be careful what you wish for - it will be on their terms, not yours.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

As someone with a degree and by most people's standards, a pretty high income, this might let the company HR department allow me to work from our house in Thailand for a few months, rather than only allow me to work from our house in London. (Covid means I haven't been in the office since last February).

i.e. The issue isn't my ability to work from Thailand (I did that for a while when I was a contractor). The issue would be the company not having a local tax liability from my working in Thailand (for an office elsewhere) now that I'm an employee.

That won't qualify you as a digital nomad. According to the OP you should be working in either a coffee shop or a library! Working from your house in Thailand would infer you are more of a 'remote worker' than a digital nomad. A nomad is one of those guys with long, flowing garments riding a camel around the Sahara Desert. ???? 

As for tax, you are working for a Brit company and getting paid in Britain where it will be taxed. So no problem.

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Many decisions to be made.

Which GoPro should I buy ? What should I call my YouTube channel ? should I do "how to be a dropshipping millionaire" videos, or "how to trade NFTs with Bitcoin" videos?

Can I put "the Chiang Mai co-workspace influencer Instagram cafe" as my address for 90 day report ?

Please press like and subscribe, join my Patreon and buy a T-shirt.

And donate to my save the endangered Thai fruit bat appeal, I will pass the money on I promise.

Sorry, that is stereotyping as I wouldn't classify Youtubers and Bloggers as digital nomads. They are more like 'digital' begpackers, an evolved sub-group of the begpacker species which only accepts cash in the hand. ???????? 

15 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Sorry, that is stereotyping as I wouldn't classify Youtubers and Bloggers as digital nomads. They are more like 'digital' begpackers, an evolved sub-group of the begpacker species which only accepts cash in the hand. ????????

Income from YouTubers varies a lot though, just like singers... The ones who sing in the shower don't make anything, Madonna (or replace by a more recent singer) is making millions.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:13 PM, robsamui said:

Old Chinese proverb - "When the boat is on fire, worms of despair crawl out from the wood".

Judging from the record number of evasions, contradictions, inconsistencies and just plain idiotic statements that have been uttered by Thai government representatives this year, the boat of Thailand must be already well-ablaze.

It is the inevitable result of the style of government. Ministry appointments are effectively either the result of nepotism, patronage or simply awarded to the highest bidder. There is no effective coordination or planned policy so once installed those in authority essentially do what they like, beholden to their own interests, egos, the benefits of their mates and sponsors, and not the majority of society. The emasculation of the democratic process over the last decade means that there is no accountability.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SymS said:

Income from YouTubers varies a lot though, just like singers... The ones who sing in the shower don't make anything, Madonna (or replace by a more recent singer) is making millions.

Okay, name me a farang Youtuber in Thailand making millions $ ?

On 12/11/2021 at 8:11 PM, smedly said:

we have enough broke youtubers/bloggers sticking cameras where they are not wanted 

Yet, the digital nomad [whatever that is] circles consider themselves to be terribly special - 

19 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Okay, name me a farang Youtuber in Thailand making millions $ ?

My Mate Nate. You did not say over what period, and I'm not sure he makes over a million per year,, but over a few years certainly.
Anyway my point was that income varies a lot, and not all are "begtubers".

• Confused 1

On 12/13/2021 at 10:35 PM, Chris.B said:

As for tax, you are working for a Brit company and getting paid in Britain where it will be taxed. So no problem.

Personal tax is one thing, but the corporate employer risk is falling foul of the permanent establishment tax laws of Thailand by having an employee here, even if tax resident in the UK and paid in the UK.

In reality, you could just be here for 6 months and nobody will care, but there is a real risk to the employer in some situations. It's become quite a headache right now for corporations.

• Like 1