Thailand set to approve Special Tourist Visa for digital nomads

Jonathan Fairfield

55 minutes ago, ezzra said:

And in other publications it goes to say that Thailand is not in big favor of the riff-raff, shoe string budget tourists and now looking for the well to do kind who can come in and invest $250,000 to $500,000 on bonds and business.. yeah right...

the Thai government should look after its people and crumbling infrastructure and not pass it on to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rtco said:

What they should be doing is making it possible for individuals to work and set up officially as independent consultants

that was possible in the '90's but they closed it off - you had to be paid from abroad which just meant the company routed it overseas and back. To this day I suspect this was something Lawyers said could be done but Immigration/Labour Dept might not have shared that interpretation.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always thought that it's a real shame that they don't do more to attract more digital nomads. They clearly like Thailand and are eager to spend some time here, why not cash in on that right now instead of chasing pipe dreams that never seem to materialize!

The STV sounds like a more sensible idea than their previous proposals. Hopefully they'll make it clear to their own officialdom that working in Thailand as a digital nomad is legal - there seems to be quite some confusion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I am assuming to be eligible for this visa, one would have to prove he/she really is a digital nomad, otherwise everyone will be getting one. Only conditions i can see would be able to show funds in the bank and some kind of proof of being a DN

Yes for sure proof will be needed.

I would say supporting documentation from the company you are employed by/contracted to, at a minimum.

As anybody can register a company, these companies would obviously have to pass a certain criteria determined by Thai immigration, and proof would be needed of this too .

And of course you are now registered in the Thai system officially as working from Thailand, so there's all the tax implications that go with that.

Thailand operates a duel taxation agreement with most western countries, so there's now the chance that the taxation department in your home country will know that you're effectively living in thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I've always thought that it's a real shame that they don't do more to attract more digital nomads. They clearly like Thailand and are eager to spend some time here, why not cash in on that right now instead of chasing pipe dreams that never seem to materialize!

The STV sounds like a more sensible idea than their previous proposals. Hopefully they'll make it clear to their own officialdom that working in Thailand as a digital nomad is legal - there seems to be quite some confusion!

They spend time but not money. Sex tourists and clubbers are the big spenders