Hope for same-sex marriage still a faint glimmer in Thailand

webfact

On 12/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

But then there are those who seem to promote their lifestyle. And some do that as crass as possible and as much in your face as possible. I think those people make the situation worse. It's like radical feminists or radical animal lovers etc. 

That's like promoting being black to white people. 

The heterosexual lifestyle (it was a choice, wasn't it?) is promoted on TV, in movies, in families, among co-workers 24/7 for starters. We all know the classic "red hot blooded heterosexual" - esp. among those who like to spend so e time in Thailand - who openly talks about his pursuits. Does that bother you too?

I mean, there's often children around who see & hear this.

What's behind the use of the term "promoting" is likely the fear & belief that this is a bad influence & a choice, when we look deeper. However, one can't promote something most could never aquire in the 1st place.

I believe the truth is that you don't mind straight people being crass & horny & themselves "boys will be boys - wink wink, nudge nudge" stuff but when it comes to gay people you deny the non-straight acting ones that they are allowed to be their 'over the top' selves. We're back at "I don't mind gay people if they confirm to my ideas about how gay people should look & behave". Insert "people of color" or "Jews" instead and it would be exposed as the racist <deleted> that it is. Homophobia is the still accepted form of the emotion that fuels racism, sadly. If you feel you must control minorities, you're not tolerant at all, of course.

They're not promoting anything, that's a projection on your part. They know you're a lost cause on that front anyway (nor do they think you're hot enough, most likely). ????????

As long as they are not harassing/touching you, there's nothing here to judge or complain about.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Heteronormativity is the concept that heterosexuality is the preferred or normal mode of sexual orientation

This sounds like a made up term used to "justify" the alternative LFGB lifestyle.  Please show me an example of other mammals who do not practice heterosexuality as their preferred and "normal" sexual orientation. 

The term "normal" means what is standard, typical, routine, common,  When you have less than 5% of the population indicating they prefer same sex and less than .03% indicating they are transsexual that can hardly be defined as the "norm"  The terms "aberrant" "abnormal" "atypical" would be more accurate. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

Of course you hear it. Good grief, everyone's expected to be straight and if nothing is known will be categorized as such.

Here again you are only proving my point that somehow in the LGBT community what sexual orifice you prefer needs to be "proclaimed" to the public so that it can be embraced.  No it is not that everyone is expected to be straight.  It is the unusual behavior that a significant percentage of non straight are compelled to almost singularly identify who they are as a person by their sexual preference.  And they have this crying need for the public to revel in that.  It is truly as if they so doubt their choice that they need public affirmation. 

As said and repeated. I don't care what consenting adults choose.  However I don't want religion, politics or sexual orientation shoved down my throat.  The idea of "gay pride month" is not equal but "special treatment'  The idea of the gay pride flag being flown over the embassies of the USA around the world is not equal treatment it is "special treatment"   No country gets that kind of recognition.  I would say exactly the same thing if the embassies were requested to fly the chastity flag, the Christian flag, the KKK flag, the confederate flag, or a Union Flag.  

Keep your preferences to yourself and I will keep mine as well.  I will fight along side you for your right to live your life as you wish with all the rights and privilege's afforded by "equal protection"  But I will fight just as hard against you for any attempt to have not the public's acceptance but the public's endorsement of your beliefs whether that is your religious belief, political bias  or sexual preference 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Dome said:

As long as they are not harassing/touching you, there's nothing here to judge or complain about.

I think I can judge and complain as much as I want. Like anybody else can judge and complain as much as they want.

I.e. some time ago there was one of those preachers outside Nana. He told everybody who wanted to listen and everybody who didn't want to listen about god and sin and all that. He judged the people who visited Nana. And I am sure most of us judged him. So what?

Maybe it's interesting for you that most of the time I keep my judgment to myself. If I see some obvious feminists, ok, I just ignore them. If I see a group of transgender, I also just ignore them. Because what would be the point in telling them what I think about them. No point. So I don't waste my time.

5 minutes ago, alyx said:

"....what would be the point in telling them what I think about them. No point. So I don't waste my time"

But...but...why don't you apply this sound and smart adage (????)...here ?

There is a difference between starting a conversation with individuals about them and between discussing a subject with people in a forum. In a forum we can (try to) understand each others' positions and maybe we change our position.

It happened to me more than once that I started to join a discussion with "I know this" and then later I thought "this guy has a point there".

And to be fair sometimes it's not so easy to think/write in that moment: You convinced me, you are right.

But maybe after some time and in a new discussion our point of view changed a little. Win/win for everybody. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a difference between starting a conversation with individuals about them and between discussing a subject with people in a forum. In a forum we can (try to) understand each others' positions and maybe we change our position.

It happened to me more than once that I started to join a discussion with "I know this" and then later I thought "this guy has a point there".

And to be fair sometimes it's not so easy to think/write in that moment: You convinced me, you are right.

But maybe after some time and in a new discussion our point of view changed a little. Win/win for everybody. 

Nice to hear, but I am afraid that people living in different “dimensions” cannot understand each other. That would require a complete immersion, living the life of the other… which is impossible 

This being said, your comment is more balanced than the rest of your posts 

I appreciate 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:
1 hour ago, Screaming said:

And this is one good thing about living in Thailand. No marriage between same sex people.

Disgusting, repulsive and stupid comment. 

No. Just a different opinion.

If he would have written something like: Those stupid fa#$#$ should be shot. 

Then your answer would be correct.

Now your comment points you out as someone with no tolerance for other peoples' opinions.

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Disgusting, repulsive and stupid comment. 

I disagree with you completely. I made my own feelings clear already, there is nothing disgusting about the affections of two (or more) human souls, no matter what sex combination, and there is nothing disgusting about higher polemics. . . but I comment in this topic again because. . .

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Married, okay.

As long as they can't adopt. 

. . . this comment is a problem for me. I see no issue with same sex couples adopting with the caveat that my personal feeling is that I truly believe every child, from a societal perspective, SHOULD have the best case option of a mother and a father type upbringing, but where the adopted child was previously unfortunate, they surely have good fortune in being adopted by a same sex couple.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

If you think being gay is a lifestyle choice you are so ignorant of the subject that it discredits any of your opinions about same sex marriage on this thread. ????

Being gay is not a lifestyle choice. But living together with someone and/or having sex with someone and/or marrying someone that is a lifestyle choice. And making a big issue out of it is also a lifestyle choice. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Married, okay.

As long as they can't adopt. 

Do you want to go and remove the children from same sex couples that already have children?

What right do you think you have to say who can or can't have or adopt children?!

I know very good same sex parents and very bad straight couples.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Here again you are only proving my point that somehow in the LGBT community what sexual orifice you prefer needs to be "proclaimed" to the public so that it can be embraced.  No it is not that everyone is expected to be straight.  It is the unusual behavior that a significant percentage of non straight are compelled to almost singularly identify who they are as a person by their sexual preference.  And they have this crying need for the public to revel in that.  It is truly as if they so doubt their choice that they need public affirmation. 

As said and repeated. I don't care what consenting adults choose.  However I don't want religion, politics or sexual orientation shoved down my throat.  The idea of "gay pride month" is not equal but "special treatment'  The idea of the gay pride flag being flown over the embassies of the USA around the world is not equal treatment it is "special treatment"   No country gets that kind of recognition.  I would say exactly the same thing if the embassies were requested to fly the chastity flag, the Christian flag, the KKK flag, the confederate flag, or a Union Flag.  

Keep your preferences to yourself and I will keep mine as well.  I will fight along side you for your right to live your life as you wish with all the rights and privilege's afforded by "equal protection"  But I will fight just as hard against you for any attempt to have not the public's acceptance but the public's endorsement of your beliefs whether that is your religious belief, political bias  or sexual preference 

So, that's your answer then. *Any* case of "not keeping it to yourself* = "shoving it down my throat". 

I rest my case & sorry to hear this. No, I haven't proven your point at all. You keep sexualizing & dirtying this because of your internalized homophobia. 

I just hope you will never get violent with anyone due to the corner your own concept has backed you into.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Should the child be adopted by fully able bodied middle class white heterosexual couples only with 9-5 jobs...  y’know... just to be ‘normal’ ?????

You forgot biased, that may be a requirement. 

2 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

"shoving it down my throat"

This isn't "equality"  This is shoving down ones throat.  Let me ask you if the bill mandated teaching only heterosexual behavior to pre school children would you think that was not both advocating and mandating. 

image.png.2713da7a82a393c8e4d28574b99e9d3d.png

4 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

If you think being gay is a lifestyle choice

Oh so it is not.  Please show me the "science" showing that there is a genetic difference between those that are gay and those that are not. 

You "choose" what you have a preference for.  Some men might prefer small versus large women, some blondes versus brunettes, some Scandinavians versus Asians.  And yes some prefer other men or some women prefer other women.  That sir is a choice not a genetic code imprinted in ones DNA. 

If it were at all true that somehow people were genetically wired to be gay you would see that manifest itself not just in humans but also in other mammals.  It does not.  Also if there was some sort of DNA imprinting on humans that caused a person to be gay, that "gene" would soon be eliminated from the human gene pool since those possessing that genetic code would be incapable of passing it along since two men can not produce a child nor can two women.  

At the very least the percentage of the population who are gay would be decreasing as evolution since heterosexuality would be producing the vast majority of the children. 

The idea that somehow the person is destined to be gay is just a coping mechanism.  It shows that somehow you believe that there is no choice.   Why some are attracted to same sex I have no idea but the very fact that the phenomena only occurs in humans pretty well conclusively shows it is controlled by someone's brain not their DNA code. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mr Dome said:

So, that's your answer then. *Any* case of "not keeping it to yourself* = "shoving it down my throat". 

I rest my case & sorry to hear this. No, I haven't proven your point at all. You keep sexualizing & dirtying this because of your internalized homophobia. 

Shoving down ones throat:
 To force, compel, or attempt to make one accept, endure, consider, or agree with or to something. I hate going to my friend's house, because his husband's always shoving political rhetoric down my throat. Look, I'm just browsing around for a car, quit trying to shove one down my throat!